Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to check local accounts have root and user access rights ? Post 302753115 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 8th of January 2013 05:48:52 AM
Old 01-08-2013

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to prevent local root from su to an NIS user?

We have a shared development box, running Solaris 10 that is an NIS client, all the developers have local root password. If they know the NIS uid of another user, they can just do % useradd -u <uid> login And then log in as that user and have full access to his files in his home directory. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nfw
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Access Rights

Hi Folks, My problem is an easy one for the experts here. All my applications run using a user id that creates files with only the following default rights: -rw-r----- I want to modify this user's account such that it creates files that assign read access to the everyone group by default:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umairrahman
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

switch user from local user to root in perl

Hi Gurus, I have a script that requires me to switch from local user to root. Anyone who has an idea on this since when i switch user to root it requires me to input root password. It seems that i need to use expect module here, but i don't know how to create the object for this. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have a requirement to check whose accounts are expired in Linux machine and send a mail to root

I have a requirement to check whose accounts are expired in Linux machine and send a mail to root user about the accounts. How can i achieve this in Linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriky86
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give root access to non root user?

Currently in my system Red Hat is installed. And Many user connect to my machine via SSH Techia Terminal. I want to give some users a root level access. Can anyone please help me how to make it possible. I too searched on the Google but didn't find the correct way Regards ADI (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

NFS share full access for local user

Hi All, Is it possible to give full access for a normal user in a NFS share? If its not possible is there a trick with which I can make it work? Thanks in advance Shyam (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shyam2j
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Switch from Local user to root user from a shell script?

Hi, I need to switch from local user to root user in a shell script. I need to make it automated so that it doesn't prompt for the root password. I heard the su command will do that work but it prompt for the password. and also can someone tell me whether su command spawns a new shell or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Little
1 Replies
HOSTS.EQUIV(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    HOSTS.EQUIV(5)

NAME
/etc/hosts.equiv - list of hosts and users that are granted "trusted" r command access to your system DESCRIPTION
The hosts.equiv file allows or denies hosts and users to use the r-commands (e.g. rlogin, rsh or rcp) without supplying a password. The file uses the following format: [ + | - ] [hostname] [username] The hostname is the name of a host which is logically equivalent to the local host. Users logged into that host are allowed to access like- named user accounts on the local host without supplying a password. The hostname may be (optionally) preceded by a plus (+) sign. If the plus sign is used alone it allows any host to access your system. You can expicitly deny access to a host by preceding the hostname by a minus (-) sign. Users from that host must always supply a password. For security reasons you should always use the FQDN of the hostname and not the short hostname. The username entry grants a specific user access to all user accounts (except root) without supplying a password. That means the user is NOT restricted to like-named accounts. The username may be (optionally) preceded by a plus (+) sign. You can also explicitly deny access to a specific user by preceding the username with a minus (-) sign. This says that the user is not trusted no matter what other entries for that host exist. Netgroups can be specified by preceding the netgroup by an @ sign. Be extremely careful when using the plus (+) sign. A simple typographical error could result in a standalone plus sign. A standalone plus sign is a wildcard character that means "any host"! FILES
/etc/hosts.equiv NOTE
Some systems will only honor the contents of this file when it has owner root and no write permission for anybody else. Some exceptionally paranoid systems even require that there be no other hard links to the file. SEE ALSO
rhosts(5), rshd(8), rlogind(8) Linux 1995-01-29 HOSTS.EQUIV(5)