Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Gsub regex not working
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Gsub regex not working Post 302752969 by unknownn on Monday 7th of January 2013 09:41:57 PM
Old 01-07-2013
Gsub regex not working

I have a number of files that I pass through awk/gsub.

I believe to have found a working regex and on 'test bed' sites it matches, however within gsub it does not.

Examples:
Initial data:
Code:
/Volumes/Daniel/Public/Drop Box/[sage]_Hellsing_Ultimate_OVA_-_10_[720p-AAC][4B4C84C5].mkv

gsub & regex:
Code:
gsub("\[[^\]]+\]",""

I've been able to remove mostly everything with other expressions but the first brackets "[sage]" still remain. The content within the brackets varies a lot (e.g. [SFW-sage].
I'd like to keep the script as simple as possible (one line).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

gnu sed regex grouping not working?

Hello, from the gnu sed manual, I should be able to do this: `\(REGEXP\)' Groups the inner REGEXP as a whole, this is used to: * Apply postfix operators, like `\(abcd\)*': this will search for zero or more whole sequences of `abcd', while `abcd*' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allasso
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash with: if, elif & regex not working

Why is only hello3 being printed? There must be some kind of syntax problem because the file list definitely includes all the file extensions line by line. #!/bin/bash find '/home/myuser/folder/' -name '*.c' -type f | while read F do if ] # if the file name ends in .txt.c then ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching a regex using egrep not working

Hi, I'm trying to validate if a string matches a regular expression, but it is not working. Am I missing something? Do I need to scape any of the characters? if echo 'en-GB' | egrep '({1,8})(-{1,8})*' >/dev/null; then echo Valid value fi Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skrtxao
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk gsub(): general regex

%%%%% (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

GSUB/Regex Help

I am trying to write my gsub regex to replace a bunch of special characters with spaces, so i can split it to an array and look at each word independently. However, my regex skills are slightly lacking and I appear to be missing a quote or something here. I am trying to replace the following... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement with [[ ]] and regex not working as expected

Using BASH: $ if -- ::00" ]]; then echo "true"; else echo "false"; fi false Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex not working

I am using a regex to exactly match a string abcdef as ^abcdef$. But it does'nt seem to work :( (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav99
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make working this regex in perl?

Hello to all, The Regex below is supposed to match all strings except RR45. I've tested in regex101.com and it works, butwhen I try to use it with the perl command below I get the error shown. Regex=(?<=^|RR45)(?!RR45).+?(?=RR45|$) How to fix this? I'm using Cygwin. $ echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk gsub not working as expected

Hi Experts, Need your kind help with gsub awk. Below is my pattern:"exec=1_host_cnt=100_dup=4_NameTag=targetSrv_500.csv","'20171122112948"," 100"," 1"," 1"," 4","400","","", " aac sample exec ""hostname=XXXXX commandline='timeout 10 openssl speed -multi 2 ; exit 0'"" ","-1","-1","1","... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradyumnajpn10
6 Replies
RE_COMP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							RE_COMP(3)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - BSD regex functions SYNOPSIS
#define _REGEX_RE_COMP #include <sys/types.h> #include <regex.h> char *re_comp(char *regex); int re_exec(char *string); DESCRIPTION
re_comp() is used to compile the null-terminated regular expression pointed to by regex. The compiled pattern occupies a static area, the pattern buffer, which is overwritten by subsequent use of re_comp(). If regex is NULL, no operation is performed and the pattern buffer's contents are not altered. re_exec() is used to assess whether the null-terminated string pointed to by string matches the previously compiled regex. RETURN VALUE
re_comp() returns NULL on successful compilation of regex otherwise it returns a pointer to an appropriate error message. re_exec() returns 1 for a successful match, zero for failure. CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. NOTES
These functions are obsolete; the functions documented in regcomp(3) should be used instead. SEE ALSO
regcomp(3), regex(7), GNU regex manual COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1995-07-14 RE_COMP(3)