Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Strings in ascending order
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Strings in ascending order Post 302752951 by rdrtx1 on Monday 7th of January 2013 08:10:07 PM
Old 01-07-2013
also, another awk example without the need to pipe to sort and sed:
Code:
awk '{a=$1;sub("^[^0-9]*","",a);b[a]=$0; m?(0):(m=a); if (a<m) m=a; if (a>x) x=a;}
END{for (i=m; i<=x; i++) {if (b[i])print b[i]}}' infile

This User Gave Thanks to rdrtx1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort / ascending order

What's the command to sort a file in ascending order and redirect the output to another file? Thanks!!!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gyik
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ascending order within text

I appreciate all the help that I've already received but am running into one problem. I can find how to add something before a file with ascending numbers but not like this. I basically have a file that looks like this: 100 101 102 103 104 I need to add the following before each line with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerpm
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

merge two files in ascending order

Hello Friends, I want to merge two files in ascending order on the first field. And if the first field matches sort on 3rd field i.e, TXADDR should come ahead of RXADDR . file1 9 : TXADDR : 00000000 65 : TXDATA 0000000000000011 83 : TXDATA 0000000000000012 453 :... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ascending order

How can I check if array is in ascending order? ---------- Post updated at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:25 PM ---------- Done it now (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting sequences in ascending order

Hi, I have this single file with a number of sequence inside it of format >string1 data >string100 data >string10 ..... >string5 ... >string67 ...... the dots represent data. I wanted to get the sequences arranged in ascending order like >string1 data >string5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonia102
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File listing in Ascending order

I have a multiple file with the following name like. file_0.csv file_1.csv file_2.csv file_3.csv file_4.csv file_5.csv file_6.csv file_7.csv file_7.csv file_8.csv file_9.csv file_10.csv file_11.csv file_12.csv file_13.csv file_14.csv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh_arxmind
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arrange values in ascending order

HI I have a file # vi assc values order fin 100 34 45 200 12 64 120 10 23 Here I need to check whether the values of second column"order" is arranged ascendingly Note: Always order column will be arranged either in ascending or descending order How to make it?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list files in ascending order?

Hi, I need to list files in ascending order. Filenames are in format inpTDT_1, inpTDT_2, inpTDT_3 and so on. I want to list them in the ascending order based on the digit after underscore and send the output to a file. Please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelkanth
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File in ascending order by row

Hi All I have a file like this: ID1 ref_A 10 ref_B 30 ref_C 5 ID2 ref_F 69 ref_G 12 ref_H 5 Every ID is followed by a string(ref_X) followed by a number(every number is referred to the previous ref) I would like to order the file like this(the column could be more, but always with the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuliangiuseppe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List numerically in ascending order

Hello, I am running ubuntu 16.04 and trying to list all files inside a directory, I need to sort them in ascending order. While surfing on the site, I found an old thread but somehow it did not work. Link Ascending order with sort -nk2 myfile.txt command gives below output: file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
5 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)