Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Performance problem with removing duplicates in a huge file (50+ GB) Post 302752709 by achenle on Monday 7th of January 2013 12:01:29 PM
Old 01-07-2013
Any DBAs around with some spare disk space?

Use a DB server. Create a single column table with a unique index on that column. Insert each line as a row into the table, ignoring duplicate entry failures. Export the data.

Might not be super fast, but it'll be faster than any script. And it's easy.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to achenle For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing duplicates from a file

i have a file with some 1000 entries it will contain entries like 1000,ram 2000,pankaj 1001,rahim 1000,ram 2532,govind 2000,pankaj 3000,venkat 2532,govind what i want is i want to extract only the distinct rows from this file so my output should contain only 1000,ram... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing duplicates of a pattern from a file

hey all, I need some help. I have a text file with names in it. My target is that if a particular pattern exists in that file more than once..then i want to rename all the occurences of that pattern by alternate patterns.. for e.g if i have PATTERN occuring 5 times then i want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashisharora
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates from log file?

I have a log file with posts looking like this: -- Messages can be delivered by different systems at different times. The id number is used to sort out duplicate messages. What I need is to strip the arrival time from each post, sort posts by id number, and reattach arrival time to respective... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Duplicates from file

Hi Experts, Please check the following new requirement. I got data like the following in a file. FILE_HEADER 01cbbfde7898410| 3477945| home| 1 01cbc275d2c122| 3478234| WORK| 1 01cbbe4362743da| 3496386| Rich Spare| 1 01cbc275d2c122| 3478234| WORK| 1 This is pipe separated file with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinufarid
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting a file and removing duplicates

Hi, I have a file that I want to change the format of. It is a large file in rows but I want it to be comma separated (comma then a space). The current file looks like this: HI, Joe, Bob, Jack, Jack After I would want to remove any duplicates so it would look like this: HI, Joe,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

Performance issue with 'grep' command for huge file size

I have 2 files; one file (say, details.txt) contains the details of employees and another file (say, emp.txt) has some selected employee names. I am extracting employee details from details.txt by using emp.txt and the corresponding code is: while read line do emp_name=`echo $line` grep -e... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arb_1984
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing duplicates from a file

Hi All, I am merging files coming from 2 different systems ,while doing that I am getting duplicates entries in the merged file I,01,000131,764,2,4.00 I,01,000131,765,2,4.00 I,01,000131,772,2,4.00 I,01,000131,773,2,4.00 I,01,000168,762,2,2.00 I,01,000168,763,2,2.00... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates from new file

i hav two files like i want to remove/delete all the duplicate lines in file2 which are viz unix,unix2,unix3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates from new file

i hav two files like i want to remove/delete all the duplicate lines in file2 which are viz unix,unix2,unix3.I have tried previous post also,but in that complete line must be similar.In this case i have to verify first column only regardless what is the content in succeeding columns. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing White spaces from a huge file

I am trying to remove whitespaces from a file containing sample data as: 457 <EOFD> Mar 1 2007 12:00:00:000AM <EOFD> Mar 31 2007 12:00:00:000AM <EOFD> system <EORD> 458 <EOFD> Mar 1 2007 12:00:00:000AM<EOFD>agf <EOFD> Apr 20 2007 9:10:56:036PM <EOFD> prodiws<EORD> . Basically these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvip
11 Replies
Alzabo::Create::Index(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Alzabo::Create::Index(3pm)

NAME
Alzabo::Create::Index - Index objects for schema creation SYNOPSIS
use Alzabo::Create::Index; DESCRIPTION
This object represents an index on a table. Indexes consist of columns and optional prefixes for each column. The prefix specifies how many characters of the columns should be indexes (the first X chars). Some RDBMS's do not have a concept of index prefixes. Not all col- umn types are likely to allow prefixes though this depends on the RDBMS. The order of the columns is significant. INHERITS FROM
"Alzabo::Index" Note: all relevant documentation from the superclass has been merged into this document. METHODS
new The constructor takes the following parameters: * table => "Alzabo::Create::Table" object The table that this index is indexing. * columns => [ "Alzabo::Create::Column" object, .. ] * columns => [ { column => "Alzabo::Create::Column" object, prefix => $prefix }, repeat as needed ... ] This parameter indicates which columns that are being indexed. It can either be an array reference of column objects, or an array ref- erence of hash references, each with a key called column and one called prefix. The prefix key is optional. * unique => $boolean Indicates whether or not this is a unique index. * fulltext => $boolean Indicates whether or not this is a fulltext index. * function => $string This can be used to create a function index where supported. The value of this parameter should be the full function, with column names, such as "LCASE( username )". The "columns" parameter should include all the columns used in the function. Returns a new "Alzabo::Create::Index" object. Throws: "Alzabo::Exception::Params", "Alzabo::Exception::RDBMSRules" table Returns the "Alzabo::Create::Table" object to which the index belongs. columns Returns an ordered list of the "Alzabo::Create::Column" objects that are being indexed. add_column Adds a column to the index. This method takes the following parameters: * column => "Alzabo::Create::Column" object * prefix => $prefix (optional) Throws: "Alzabo::Exception::Params", "Alzabo::Exception::RDBMSRules" delete_column ("Alzabo::Create::Column" object) Deletes the given column from the index. Throws: "Alzabo::Exception::Params", "Alzabo::Exception::RDBMSRules" prefix ("Alzabo::Create::Column" object) A column prefix is, to the best of my knowledge, a MySQL specific concept, and as such cannot be set when using an RDBMSRules module for a different RDBMS. However, it is important enough for MySQL to have the functionality be present. It allows you to specify that the index should only look at a certain portion of a field (the first N characters). This prefix is required to index any sort of BLOB column in MySQL. This method returns the prefix for the column in the index. If there is no prefix for this column in the index, then it returns undef. set_prefix This method takes the following parameters: * column => "Alzabo::Create::Column" object * prefix => $prefix Throws: "Alzabo::Exception::Params", "Alzabo::Exception::RDBMSRules" unique Returns a boolean value indicating whether the index is a unique index. set_unique ($boolean) Sets whether or not the index is a unique index. fulltext Returns a boolean value indicating whether the index is a fulltext index. set_fulltext ($boolean) Set whether or not the index is a fulltext index. Throws: "Alzabo::Exception::Params", "Alzabo::Exception::RDBMSRules" register_column_name_change This method takes the following parameters: * column => "Alzabo::Create::Column" object The column (with the new name already set). * old_name => $old_name This method is called by the table object which owns the index when a column name changes. You should never need to call this yourself. Throws: "Alzabo::Exception::Params" id The id is generated from the table, column and prefix information for the index. This is useful as a canonical name for a hash key, for example. Returns a string that is the id which uniquely identifies the index in this schema. AUTHOR
Dave Rolsky, <autarch@urth.org> perl v5.8.8 2007-12-23 Alzabo::Create::Index(3pm)