Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Select Command - return
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Select Command - return Post 302752625 by gary_w on Monday 7th of January 2013 09:39:20 AM
Old 01-07-2013
Just issue a clear command right before displaying the menu. You may have to use tput clear.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to select files with different extensions

I want to select files which have different extensions such as .cpp, .cs, .h I can select one of them as find . -name "*.cpp" but I want to select all of them in one command only. It should be pretty simple but I'm not able to get it. Any help with the command will be greatly appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MobileUser
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select command array

Hello everyone, I have a quick question about the select command in ksh. I am using it to define a menu for user selection, I have found that the REPLY var contains the input from the user, I was interested to find out if there is a system variable that contains the whole menu as an array, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select command to build menu

Hello everyone. I am using the select command to build a menu, here is my question: Is it possible to generate a menu which contains several sections and have a separator between the sections without having a selection number generated in front of the separator? This is a sample of what I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio001
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

::select statement return value with correct field size::

Hi Everyone, I am facing a problem regarding the select from sybase, the return with the incorrect size. For example, field is NAME(20). After i selected from sybase, the result is nicky. after i assign it to another declaration variable, it will be in actual name "nicky" , what i need... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryanW
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error using select menu command

Hi All, I am trying to use the select command & the menu. below mention is my script #!/bin/bash 2 3 PS3="Is today your birthday? " #PS3 system variable 4 5 echo "\n" 6 7 8 select menu_selection in YES NO QUIT 9 do 10 11 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milindb
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use select into command in shell script?

I need to get total number of rows in a table by using select count(*) from table and need to assign into a variable in shell script. I used the following script, it does return the number of rows but also with oracle headers, Please help me to eliminate this headers. Shell Script #!/bin/sh... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select command help with blank input value

I have a select menu driven script using a case statment and cannot control what happens after a user's input is just <ENTER> or the <SPACEBAR>+<ENTER>. I want it to just hit the "MAIN" function and not redraw the options. I've look everywhere for the answer and am at a loss. Here's the code:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambroze
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQLPLUS command with more than 1 select statement

Hi all, I'm using below code processId=`sqlplus -s ${sysuser}/${syspwd} <<CHK_PROCESS whenever sqlerror exit sql.sqlcode; set head off feedback off echo off pages 0 SELECT PROCESS_ID FROM LSHADMIN.DATA_DOMAIN WHERE DOMAIN_NAME = '${tabname}' ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratiksha Mehra
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Select command

Hi I'm using the "select" command in the global_env.sh to log in to the application directory. This file is called in .bashrc profile. Sample code: Filename: global_env.sh set -o vi export severname=$(uname -n) printf '%s\n%30s\n%s\n' "***********************" "Welcome to $severname"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheers799
6 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] ksh93 +exit [n] +return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit causes the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF also causes the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit causes the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit causes the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value is the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file also causes the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value is the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ksh93 exit is shell special built-in that causes the shell that invokes it to exit. Before exiting the shell, if the EXIT trap is set, it is invoked. If n is specified, it is used to set the exit status. return is a shell special built-in that causes the function or dot script that invokes it to exit. If return is invoked outside of a func- tion or dot script it is equivalent to exit. If return is invoked inside a function defined with the function reserved word syntax, then any EXIT trap set within the function is invoked in the context of the caller before the function returns. If n is specified, it is used to set the exit status. On this manual page, ksh93 commands that are preceded by one or two + symbols are special built-in commands and are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. They are not valid function names. 5. Words following a command preceded by ++ that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and field splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. EXIT STATUS
ksh93 If n is specified for exit, the exit status is the least significant eight bits of the value of n. Otherwise, the exit status is the exit status of preceding command. When invoked inside a trap, the preceding command means the command that invoked the trap. If n is specified for return, the exit status is the least significant eight bits of the value of n. Otherwise, the exit status is the exit status of preceding command. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), ksh93(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 2 Nov 2007 exit(1)