Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Right way to change time for a RHEL server Post 302752451 by RHCE on Monday 7th of January 2013 03:51:48 AM
Old 01-07-2013
Right way to change time for a RHEL server

I had the query of what would be the right approach to change the time on the RHEL server. I have the following ways to do that:

1)
Code:
# date -s "2 OCT 2006 18:00:00"

Or
Code:

# date --set="2 OCT 2006 18:00:00"

2)
Code:

# date +%Y%m%d -s "20081128"

The second option though would only change the date but not the time.

I hope, my query is clear about what is the right way to change time for a RHEL server.

Please revert with the reply to my query.

Regards

Last edited by Scott; 01-07-2013 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: Code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To simultaneously update password change in two server at a time

I am new beginner in Unix and little experienced in BaaN ERP. Problem Statement: I have to run a BaaN session. I have to change the password for both primary and secondary server by using this session. On primary server only few people has access permission (say 10). But on secondary server... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_chandrakar
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

RHEL 3 - how to change the SNMP community strings?

I have edited the snmpd.conf file on RHEL3, I changed: com2sec notConfigUser default public to : com2sec notConfigUser default new_string_name BUT, when my security guy scans the box, is still answers to public, I restarted snmpd. Is there more to this than just changing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RHEL 4 U5 - Server immediate shutdown

Dear all, My server has shutdown frequently. It is AMD64, OS is RHEL 4 U5. I've seen the system log, before the shutdown occured: Jul 29 04:28:56 localhost kernel: EDAC k8 MC0: general bus error: participating processor(local node response), time-out(no timeout) memory transaction... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date time issues on RHEL

Hi, I am facing a weird problem with the 'Date'. If I check date multiple times in a short interval I see a different time altogether. Here is an example $ date Tue Jul 15 02:07:22 PDT 2008 $ date Tue Jul 15 02:07:23 PDT 2008 $ date Tue Jul 15 03:20:42 PDT 2008 $ date Tue Jul 15... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitb74
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

Time Sync issue on RHEL 5.3

Hi, My Linux VMs are running on citrix XEN.Somehow the time drift is too high (going very fast). Even if the correct time configured using date -s command, for every 1 hr it is differing almost 5 - 10 mins. Tried configuring ntpd (local NTP server) and still it is not synchronized. Machine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday123
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change partition name in rhel

Can I change the filesystem in redhat w/o reformating it? For example /dev/sda2 145G 188M 137G 1% /uo1 /dev/sdb1 289G 191M 274G 1% /uo2 /dev/sdb2 289G 191M 274G 1% /uo3 uo1, uo2, uo3 shuld be u01, u02, u03. No one is using the server yet. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Re-start of RHEL server

I had a query that should the RHEL servers in production environment be re-started say every 2-3 months so that the cache is cleared? I hope, my question is clear that should the Red Hat Linux servers be restarted periodically. Please revert with the reply to my query. Regards (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
17 Replies

8. Red Hat

RHEL 6.3 Errata Server?

I'm attempting to build a RHEL 6.3 yum errata server inside our company firewall with no luck. Is this something Red Hat attempts to prevent people from doing? I have done all the steps that I've been able to find to create a repository and configure it. My two repo files look like the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redwing471
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nofiles & nproc change on RHEL not taking effect

I am installing a statistical applicaton and for its web components it is a listed requirement that I have soft limits of files (20480) and no of processes (soft t o 10240). I am on RHEL 6.1. As root I made the following changes in /etc/security/limits.conf * soft nproc 10240 * hard nproc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh01
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i change the ip address in RHEL 6?

I need to change the ip address in RHEL 6 . Please tell me the files to be edited....complete procedure.......... Don't tell the graphical method ........ Explain everything in CLI ........... Thanks in Advance:b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
3 Replies
Locale::Language(3perl) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   Locale::Language(3perl)

NAME
Locale::Language - standard codes for language identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Language; $lang = code2language('en'); # $lang gets 'English' $code = language2code('French'); # $code gets 'fr' @codes = all_language_codes(); @names = all_language_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Language" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying languages, such as those as defined in ISO 639. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639 two- letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying languages. The ones currently supported are: alpha-2 This is the set of two-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639, such as 'he' for Hebrew. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANG_ALPHA_2". This is the default code set. alpha-3 This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) bibliographic codes from ISO 639, such as 'heb' for Hebrew. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANG_ALPHA_3". term This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) terminologic codes from ISO 639. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANG_TERM". ROUTINES
code2language ( CODE [,CODESET] ) language2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) language_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_language_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_language_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Language::rename_language ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::delete_language ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Language::delete_language_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Language::rename_language_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::delete_language_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes Locale::Constants http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/ Source of the ISO 639 codes. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-26 Locale::Language(3perl)