Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk - output field separator
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk - output field separator Post 302752239 by radoulov on Sunday 6th of January 2013 10:53:13 AM
Old 01-06-2013
You'll need to either print the fields one by one or force the reconstruction of the record:
Code:
zsh-5.0.0[]% echo a b c d | awk 'BEGIN { OFS = ";" }{ print $1, $2, $3, $4 }'
a;b;c;d
zsh-5.0.0[]% echo a b c d | awk 'BEGIN { OFS = ";" } { $1 = $1; print }'     
a;b;c;d

Assigning a value to a field causes the reconstruction of the current record,
as you only need to change the output format, you may use the $n = $n idiom.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to radoulov For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't figure out what field separator to use in awk....

Hi Friends, Scripting newb here. So I'm trying to create a geektool script that uses awk and printf to output certain fields from top (namely command, cpu%, rsize, pid and time, in that order). Here's the input from the top process that I'm putting into awk: PID COMMAND %CPU ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thom.mattson
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Field separator in awk

Hi I need to check if field separator I am using in awk statement is " : ", for example: TIME=12:59 HOUR=`echo "$TIME" | awk '{FS=":"; print $1}'` MINUTES=`echo "$TIME" | awk '{FS=":"; print $2}'` Is there a way to check within the above awk statement ? Thanks for help -A (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk (nawk) field separator

Hi; i have a file and i want to get; - If the last word in line 14 is NOT equal to "Set."; then print 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th values of 3rd line. and my code is: nawk 'NR==14 {if ($NF!="Set.") (NR==3{print $2,$3,$4,$5}) }' file.txt but no result?? :confused::(:confused::( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - single quotes as field separator

How can I use single quotes as field separator in awk? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - show field separator

I am using this code to insert something into a csv file: awk -F";" -v url=$url -v nr=$nr 'NR==nr{$2=url$2}1' file Why do I get the output field1 field2 instead of field1;field2 I have given -F";", so the field separator should surely be ";". (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk field separator

I need to set awk field separator to ";", but I need to avoid ";EXT". so that echo a;b;c;EXTd;e;f | awk -F";" '{print $3}' would give "c;EXTd" (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk field separator help -

Hi Experts , file : - How to construct the awk filed separator so that $1, $2 $3 , can be assigned to the each "" range. I am trying : awk -F"]" '{print $1}' but it is printing the entire file. Not first field. The desired output needed for first field... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Field Separator in printf (awk)

I can not figure out how to set the Output filed separator in awk when using printf. Example: cat file some data here_is_more information Requested output some------------data her_is_more-----information Here are some that does not work: awk '{printf "%-15s %s\n",$1,$2}' OFS="-" file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk field separator not working

Hi, can some some help to get me the right results, I have few text files, need to grep few columns from each file and get the results in one row with comma separated. my code is #folder=/nz/kit/log/backupsvr folder=/export/home/nz/valai/tmpfiles/ echo $folder for entry in `ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ValaiG
4 Replies
DBF_DUMP(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      DBF_DUMP(1p)

NAME
dbf_dump - Dump the record of the dbf file FORMAT
dbf_dump [options] files where options are --rs output record separator (default newline) --fs output field separator (default colon) --fields comma separated list of fields to print (default all) --undef string to print for NULL values (default empty) --memofile specifies unstandard name of attached memo file --memosep separator for dBase III dbt's (default x1ax1a) --nomemo do not try to read the memo (dbt/fpt) file --info print info about the file and fields with additional --SQL parameter, outputs the SQL create table --version print version of the XBase library --table output in nice table format (only available when Data::ShowTable is installed, overrides rs and fs) SYNOPSIS
dbf_dump -fields id,msg table.dbf dbf_dump -fs=' : ' table dbf_dump --nomemo file.dbf ssh user@host 'cat file.dbf.gz' | gunzip - | dbf_dump - DESCRIPTION
Dbf_dump prints to standard output the content of dbf files listed. By default, it prints all fields, separated by colons, one record on a line. The output record and column separators can be changed by switches on the command line. You can also ask only for some fields to be printed. The content of associated memo files (dbf, fpt) is printed for memo fields, unless you use the "--nomemo" option. You can specify reading the standard input by putting dash (-) instead of file name. AVAILABLE FROM
http://www.adelton.com/perl/DBD-XBase/ AUTHOR
(c) 1998--2011 Jan Pazdziora. SEE ALSO
perl(1); XBase(3pm); index_dump(1p) perl v5.12.4 2011-08-31 DBF_DUMP(1p)