Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX IBM's pSeries 570 vs a 520 vs 550 Post 302752209 by ross.mather on Sunday 6th of January 2013 04:09:36 AM
Old 01-06-2013
There are a few things to watch out for when you are buying a box for home.

Firstly all when you are buying any POWER server, what licenses come with it? You'll need PowerVM licences to run VIO serversand get the benefit of virtualisation. You also need to make sure that the box is the right type, and can run AIX. Older POWER boxes may be limited to i5 or Linux. With a 570 you need to know what in the box has been licencesed, as some of the CPU and Memory may be turned off and be available as capacity on demand.

Secondly, if you are running virtualisation, are you happy to run a single VIO with IVM or do you also need to factor in an HMC. With the 570 you must use an HMC! The IVM isn't an option.

If you have an HMC and a server and want to run dual VIO Servers then you need a split backplane in you server, with disks attached to both backplanes.

Ago rack versus flat, the 520 and 550 come as rack mounted as well, but so long as the servers as kept flat is a suitable space then hey should be fine. You should also check on the Power draw of the server and what draw your household electrics will support. Just had a quick look at the 570 needs 200-240 volt AC power with is what you get as output on a racks Power Distribution Unit, the 520 and 550 should support 110 and 240 volt Power.

Hope that helps,
Ross

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with IBM 550 and HMC settings

I'm a Solaris and Debian/SuSE weenie, and I need some help setting the IP address of the remote web interface on an IBM 550 I plugged the port labled HMC1 to the network. The "network" is really a small linksys router that I use to test internet configs, as I can change the settings at will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Shock
0 Replies

2. AIX

new IBM pseries and new disks

Hello Gurus, i'm quite new person in AIX world, actually i'm SAP consultant. But due to my job faced with AIX. Trying to configure new server for installation SAP. We have 4 disks one of them (hdisk3) has VG rootvg. How i can extend rootvg with another disk? i tried: # extendvg rootvg hdisk0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapbcer
2 Replies

3. Linux

Why does they use Linux on IBM pSeries

Anyone can help me answer the question. Why does they use Linux on IBM pSeries not AIX. I can't understand why, cause AIX is the best supporting from IBM pSeries. Tks you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: quan0509
3 Replies

4. AIX

p6 570 network for AIX LPAR

know how to do it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
3 Replies

5. AIX

IBM pSeries Power5 9111-285 1,9 GHz

Hi , I am planing to buy IBM pSeries Power5 9111-285 1,9 GHz but I am confused with few things. I would be happy if you could clear it up for me ? 1.Do I have to buy some license in order to create Lpars ? 2.Do I have to buy some license in order to use HMC , micro - partiocioning , VIOS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phobus
4 Replies

6. Hardware

VT 520 Terminal

Back of a VT 520 Teminal has a 1"X1" (approx.) rectangular area covered by a removable plastic flap. It is just above the keyboard hole(mini 6 pin DIN). What is it? Thank you. ---------- Post updated at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:37 AM ---------- I've got the answer.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

7. AIX

IBM Power Pseries Open Firmware boot / VIOS POWERVM VET CODE

Hello, I installed PowerVM IVM Virtual I/O on P-550 but later found out that the machine isn't activated for CoD VET code for virtualization. So when booted , it goes into OPEN Firmware I/O Hosting requires a hosting partition boot not permitted exit called > ok Panel shows > IO... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies

8. AIX

IBM QSECOFR password missing P/N 9405-520

How to remove or reset password QSECOFR from IBM iSeries AS/400 P/N 9405-520. Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtbax7
2 Replies

9. AIX

IBM AIX console pseries

Hi, when I boot I get an E1DC error code. I've looked it up and it says that this error occurs during the firmware check. But the error is called "Dynamic Console Selection" . 1- Machine stopped at LCD led display = E1DC = CA00E1DC E1DC Dynamic console selection. (maybe cable or keyboard)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies
XFCE4-POWER-MANAGER(1)					      General Commands Manual					    XFCE4-POWER-MANAGER(1)

NAME
xfce4-power-manager-settings - Settings dialog for the Xfce 4 Power manager SYNOPSIS
xfce4-power-manager-settings [options] DESCRIPTION
xfce4-power-manager-settings is a utility that comes with the Xfce4 power manager to access/change its configuration. It is a separate program that uses xfconf to load/save settings according to the user's choices. xfce4-power-manager-settings requires the Xfce4 power man- ager to be running because it connects to it via DBus and gets information about which settings should and should not be displayed; for example, the xfce4-power-manager-settings utility will not show the LCD brightness settings if no device was detected by the running instance of the Xfce4 power manager. xfce4-power-manager-settings does not have any command line options. BUGS
Please report bugs to http://bugzilla.xfce.org/. Development discussion should be conducted on the goodies-dev@xfce.org mailing list. Usage-related questions should be directed to the xfce@xfce.org mailing list. HOMEPAGE
http://goodies.xfce.org/ AUTHOR
Ali Abdallah <aliov@xfce.org> MANPAGE AUTHORS
Ali Abdallah <aliov@xfce.org>, Robby Workman <rworkman@slackware.com>. 31 March 2009 Version 0.8.0 XFCE4-POWER-MANAGER(1)