Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX IBM's pSeries 570 vs a 520 vs 550 Post 302752013 by MichaelFelt on Saturday 5th of January 2013 08:52:50 AM
Old 01-05-2013
If you are looking at a single CEC model of the P570 there is not a lot of difference between the P520, P550 or P570 from a "sand-box" for "playing around"

A P520 will have 1, 2 or 4 processors depending on Model,
A P550 will have a maximum of 8 or 16 depending on Model,
and a P570 will have, I suspect, a maximum of 4 processors per CEC - at least with Power5. (A P570 could have up to 4 CECS interconnected in a frame for 16 processors and much more RAM).

Personally, with a small budget - look at P520.. If you are looking for experience with more than 4 processors - P550 is probably most economical path.

Hope this helps.

p.s. Rack units don't have to be in a rack, but stacking can become more difficult when you have more than one - regardless of manufacturer.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with IBM 550 and HMC settings

I'm a Solaris and Debian/SuSE weenie, and I need some help setting the IP address of the remote web interface on an IBM 550 I plugged the port labled HMC1 to the network. The "network" is really a small linksys router that I use to test internet configs, as I can change the settings at will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Shock
0 Replies

2. AIX

new IBM pseries and new disks

Hello Gurus, i'm quite new person in AIX world, actually i'm SAP consultant. But due to my job faced with AIX. Trying to configure new server for installation SAP. We have 4 disks one of them (hdisk3) has VG rootvg. How i can extend rootvg with another disk? i tried: # extendvg rootvg hdisk0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapbcer
2 Replies

3. Linux

Why does they use Linux on IBM pSeries

Anyone can help me answer the question. Why does they use Linux on IBM pSeries not AIX. I can't understand why, cause AIX is the best supporting from IBM pSeries. Tks you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: quan0509
3 Replies

4. AIX

p6 570 network for AIX LPAR

know how to do it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
3 Replies

5. AIX

IBM pSeries Power5 9111-285 1,9 GHz

Hi , I am planing to buy IBM pSeries Power5 9111-285 1,9 GHz but I am confused with few things. I would be happy if you could clear it up for me ? 1.Do I have to buy some license in order to create Lpars ? 2.Do I have to buy some license in order to use HMC , micro - partiocioning , VIOS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phobus
4 Replies

6. Hardware

VT 520 Terminal

Back of a VT 520 Teminal has a 1"X1" (approx.) rectangular area covered by a removable plastic flap. It is just above the keyboard hole(mini 6 pin DIN). What is it? Thank you. ---------- Post updated at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:37 AM ---------- I've got the answer.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

7. AIX

IBM Power Pseries Open Firmware boot / VIOS POWERVM VET CODE

Hello, I installed PowerVM IVM Virtual I/O on P-550 but later found out that the machine isn't activated for CoD VET code for virtualization. So when booted , it goes into OPEN Firmware I/O Hosting requires a hosting partition boot not permitted exit called > ok Panel shows > IO... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies

8. AIX

IBM QSECOFR password missing P/N 9405-520

How to remove or reset password QSECOFR from IBM iSeries AS/400 P/N 9405-520. Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtbax7
2 Replies

9. AIX

IBM AIX console pseries

Hi, when I boot I get an E1DC error code. I've looked it up and it says that this error occurs during the firmware check. But the error is called "Dynamic Console Selection" . 1- Machine stopped at LCD led display = E1DC = CA00E1DC E1DC Dynamic console selection. (maybe cable or keyboard)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies
psradm(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 psradm(8)

NAME
psradm, offline, online - Stops and starts processors in a multiprocessor system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/psradm -f [-v] [[-a] [processor_id...]] /usr/sbin/psradm -n [-v] [[-a] [processor_id...]] /usr/sbin/online [-v] [processor_id...] /usr/sbin/offline [-v] [processor_id...] OPTIONS
The following options apply only to the psradm command: Specifies that all the processors except the master processor be put off line or on line. Puts the specified processor off line. Puts the specified processor on line. The following option applies to all forms of the command: Displays a message about the status of the operation performed on each processor. DESCRIPTION
On a multiprocessor system, the psradm command puts one or more processors off line (stops a processor) or on line (starts a processor). The processor_id variable specifies an integer that uniquely identifies a processor. Use the psrinfo command to display processor identi- fication numbers. The offline command puts one or more processors off line (stops a processor). If no processors are specified, all processors that are on line are stopped except the master processor. The online command puts one or more processors on line (starts a processor). If no processors are specified, all processors that are off line are started. Note that you cannot use these commands to start or stop the master processor in a multiprocessor system. You must be the root user to use this command. The /var/adm/wtmp file contains information about successful processor state transitions. RESTRICTION
Do not use the psradm command to disable CPUs when benchmarking performance, because the command does not provide an accurate reflection of the performance of a system that actually has fewer CPUs. Accurate performance results are obtained only when you disable the CPUs at the SRM console command level. EXAMPLES
The following command puts processors 2 and 3 off line: # psradm -f 2 3 The following command puts all the processors on line: # psradm -n -a The following command puts all processors on line: # online -v FILES
SEE ALSO
Commands: pset_info(1), psrinfo(1) Files: processor_sets(4) psradm(8)