Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ? Post 302751993 by MichaelFelt on Saturday 5th of January 2013 08:10:34 AM
Old 01-05-2013
It took me too long to find the term I was looking for - kept thinking multi-boot (which is for something else!).

I think what you might be looking for is multibos. The trouble is going to continue to be that /backup is in rootvg and I do not know if it will be available on a second boot (with the multibos)

In short, what multibos does is copy the current rootvg (key) logical volumes - giving them different names (much like alt_disk_install does, but now within the current volume group).

Assumming /backup (since it is not a default rootvg logical volume) will be available after a reboot to the "other" rootvg you could attempt, assuming the sum of the current PP sizes are less than 10G:
Code:
1. Backup /backup to other medium
2. Add 10G disk to rootvg
3. Use multibos procedure to copy current rootvg key logical partitions to 10G disk.
4. reboot to 10G disk
5. remove other copy of rootvg and /backup
6. remove disk from rootvg (reducevg)
7. Create new volume group for backups
8. Restore /backup to new volume group.

For more on multibos look at two articles on IBM Systems Magazine: AIX-Updates-With-Multibos/ and Working with Multibos

However, I would also consider using the information above from ka00na and zxmaus to "almost" use mirrorvg - by just adding the key AIX partitions
to the 10G disk, backup and remove /backup; then remove the copies on original disk; and restore /backup - roughly this:

Code:
# extendvg rootvg hdisk1
# for i in hd1 hd2 hd3 hd4 hd5 hd6 hd7 hd8 hd9var hd10opt hd11admin lg_dumplv hd12audit
do
mklvcopy $i 2 hdisk1
done
# bosboot -ad hdisk1
# echo do backup of whatever needs backing up
# for i in hd1 hd2 hd3 hd4 hd5 hd6 hd7 hd8 hd9var hd10opt hd11admin lg_dumplv hd12audit
do
rmlvcopy $i 1 hdisk0
done
# reducevg -d -f rootvg hdisk0
# chpv -c hdisk0
# mklv -y vgBackup hdisk0 # consider adding -t and/or -s arguments to manage PP size)
# echo "restore saved data from above"

Hope this helps!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Upgrade Hard Disk to a larger one

Hello folks, I have a sun sparcstation 20, I would like to upgrade one of the hard disks to a larger one. The one I would like to upgrade only contains user data. Here are my thoughts: 1. Backup the specific file system 2. Replace the disk with the larger disk 3. Create a new file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DLongan
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How do I clone Solaris 7 disk

could anyone give me a general idea of how i may clone a 2 Gig disk running Solaris 7 on it to another disk of the same size? currently, this system only has one disk in it though. i do have the ability to hook up another disk via SCSI. i have been told i need to boot to "miniroot" to run... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: obosha
9 Replies

3. Solaris

Upgrading To Larger Disk?

I have just been assigned the task of upgrading to a larger disk on a e250; however, I am use to working on Linux and x86 hardware. I would be very appreciative if someone could inform me on how this procedure can be done safely. To begin with, the e250 has a 18 Gig primary scsi disk and a 18... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
3 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

clone disk

Disk cloning I had an external SCSI master disk that I used to clone to an identical external SCSI disk because the other SCSI disk would become corrupted. My original Master became corrupted so I used one of the other to good disk to copy back to the master. Unfortunately the new master needs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stamperr
1 Replies

5. Solaris

disk 2 disk mirror

Dear friends & gurus i have some servers running solaris 10 intel machines,they are in mirror disk 2 disk there is no any hardware RAID only software RAID and they are in remote place. 1) solaris 10 OS c0t0d0(Disk1) & cotod1(Disk2) in mirror (SVM) 2) i want to break the mirror 3) boot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: niru
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

What is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ?

what is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Faster dd for disk clone

Guys can anyone tell how can we do faster disk cloning Below i found in google 1. dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 conv=noerror,sync So adding "conv=noerror,sync " makes it faster looks against not adding it 2. Enable write cache activated (hdparm -W1 /dev/sda) then run dd .. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Use 'dd' to copy boot disk to larger target disk

Hi, I'm looking to copy a boot disk on an old Solaris 8 system using dd. I'll bring the system down to single user mode and begin from there. I'm copying my source disk to a larger target disk. Do I need to do anything other than the 'dd' command below because the target disk is bigger? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
2 Replies

9. AIX

Clone 1 Hard disk fromIBM Intellipoint server with AIX 5.x

Hello to all, Im having a new task in a new world (AIX - IBM Servers) I have an IBM Server (Type - 9111-285 very old one) with one Hard disk (73 GB 10 K) with AIX 5.x, and I need to clone the existing disk to another with the same specifications. Could you please give me some advice in order... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trevian3969
7 Replies
VGCFGRESTORE(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   VGCFGRESTORE(8)

NAME
vgcfgrestore - restore volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgrestore [-d|--debug] [-f|--file filename] [-l[l]|--list] [-h|--help] [-M|--Metadatatype1|2] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName DESCRIPTION
vgcfgrestore allows you to restore the metadata of VolumeGroupName from a text backup file produced by vgcfgbackup. You can specify a backup file with --file. If no backup file is specified, the most recent one is used. Use --list for a list of the available backup and archive files of VolumeGroupName. OPTIONS
-l | --list -- List files pertaining to VolumeGroupName List metadata backup and archive files pertaining to VolumeGroupName. May be used with the -f option. Does not restore Vol- umeGroupName. -f | --file filename -- Name of LVM metadata backup file Specifies a metadata backup or archive file to be used for restoring VolumeGroupName. Often this file has been created with vgcfg- backup. See lvm for common options. REPLACING PHYSICAL VOLUMES
vgdisplay --partial --verbose will show you the UUIDs and sizes of any PVs that are no longer present. If a PV in the VG is lost and you wish to substitute another of the same size, use pvcreate --restorefile filename --uuid uuid (plus additional arguments as appropriate) to initialise it with the same UUID as the missing PV. Repeat for all other missing PVs in the VG. Then use vgcfgrestore --file filename to restore the volume group's metadata. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.44-cvs (02-17-09) VGCFGRESTORE(8)