Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Abnormal producer consumer problem driving me nuts Post 302751985 by alexantosh on Saturday 5th of January 2013 07:51:53 AM
Old 01-05-2013
Abnormal producer consumer problem driving me nuts

normally, i hate asking someone to do my homework for me but am getting desperate right now.
i have a project about consumer producer problem. the deadline is tonight at 23:55. but i havent gotten it working yet. i just COULDNT get it to work right yet.
the problem is as follows: the C - program will prompt for the following integer inputs:

Code:
m: the number of producer threads
n: the number of consumer threads
k: the size of the bounded buffer array
i: the number of candy items to be filled in each box

j: the number of candy items produced by each producer thread before it quits
now each producer thread produces a specific candy item, and each consumer thread takes an item out of the buffer one at a time. say producer1 produces red, prducer2 blue and so on.. as for consumer threads. after a given consumer thread has filled a given box; it prints the contents of the box as follows:
Consumer thread A filled a new box of candy containing: blue 3, red 7, green 8, ...

if you dont have the time to waste on beginngers' coding: atleast please hint out on how i should plan my work, because may be my problem is in the code structure. thanks
my head is now throbbing i can nolonger even think straight. anyhelp will be deeply appreciated. thanks in advance.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Homework in wrong forum. Closed.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 01-05-2013 at 09:02 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Producer/Consumer

Hi all, I have an Producer/Consumer program in C(using shared memory and semaphores).It is working fine with sleep calls after every read/write operation.Each one is a independent program.Now if i remove the sleep calls in consumer,it goes on waiting in the loop till the producer puts some valid... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: poorni_uma
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dumb question but its driving me nuts

I use a tcsh and I need to monitor a file that its constantly updating. In the past I remember using less -(an option) fileName. This option told less to keep listening to this file and output the any changes. What is this option??? I think I read the man page for less like 5 times and I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jepombar
3 Replies

3. Programming

producer-consumer problem

The intention of the program. Create N threads with 2 shared memories. One shared memory to write, one shared memory to recieve. Consumer creates 2 shared memory to share with producer. I need H threads for the producer as well(somebody help on it..) Also another question, would segment_id... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Short code driving me nuts.

Hello guys I am trying to learn perl and have a simple calculator I am trying to run but I get error runaway multi-line. Can someone point this rookie in the right direction. ### print 'Welcome to the Calculator'; print 'Would you like to enter the calculator? Please Type y or n'; $run =... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: daddygrant
9 Replies

5. Programming

producer consumer

Control two exclusively shared resources. The two resources are two files. The producer will write even numbers to one file, and odd numbers to another one. The consumer respectively reads from each file until it gets 5 even numbers and 5 odd numbers. Can any one help me with the code. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gokult
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

producer consumer

Control two exclusively shared resources. The two resources are two files. The producer will write even numbers to one file, and odd numbers to another one. The consumer respectively reads from each file until it gets 5 even numbers and 5 odd numbers. Can any one help me with the code. ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

producer consumer

Control two exclusively shared resources(semaphore). The two resources are two files. The producer will write even numbers to one file, and odd numbers to another one. The consumer respectively reads from each file until it gets 5 even numbers and 5 odd numbers. Can any one help me with the... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

producer consumer

Control two exclusively shared resources. The two resources are two files. The producer will write even numbers to one file, and odd numbers to another one. The consumer respectively reads from each file until it gets 5 even numbers and 5 odd numbers. Can any one help me with the code. ... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Abnormal producer consumer problem driving me nuts

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: normally, i hate asking someone to do my homework for me but am getting desperate right now. i have a project... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexantosh
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

This is driving me nuts error on line 17

There is an error in this script on line 17 bee at it for 12 hour trying to find the problem, just lost. please help a newbie. line 17: #!/bin/sh 2 ## Name of the program is test_script_b.sh 3 4 ##request information from the user 5 echo enter 3 numbers 6 read a b c 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: osdustin
4 Replies
BUF_RING(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					       BUF_RING(9)

NAME
buf_ring, buf_ring_alloc, buf_ring_free, buf_ring_enqueue, buf_ring_dequeue_mc, buf_ring_dequeue_sc, buf_ring_count, buf_ring_empty, buf_ring_full, buf_ring_peek, -- multi-producer, {single, multi}-consumer lock-less ring buffer SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/buf_ring.h> struct buf_ring * buf_ring_alloc(int count, struct malloc_type *type, int flags, struct mtx *sc_lock); void buf_ring_free(struct buf_ring *br, struct malloc_type *type); int buf_ring_enqueue(struct buf_ring *br, void *buf); void * buf_ring_dequeue_mc(struct buf_ring *br); void * buf_ring_dequeue_sc(struct buf_ring *br); int buf_ring_count(struct buf_ring *br); int buf_ring_empty(struct buf_ring *br); int buf_ring_full(struct buf_ring *br); void * buf_ring_peek(struct buf_ring *br); DESCRIPTION
The buf_ring functions provide a lock-less multi-producer and lock-less multi-consumer as well as single-consumer ring buffer. The buf_ring_alloc() function is used to allocate a buf_ring ring buffer with count slots using malloc_type type and memory flags flags. The single consumer interface is protected by sc_lock. The buf_ring_free() function is used to free a buf_ring. The user is responsible for freeing any enqueued items. The buf_ring_enqueue() function is used to enqueue a buffer to a buf_ring. The buf_ring_dequeue_mc() function is a multi-consumer safe way of dequeueing elements from a buf_ring. The buf_ring_dequeue_sc() function is a single-consumer interface to dequeue elements - requiring the user to serialize accesses with a lock. The buf_ring_count() function returns the number of elements in a buf_ring. The buf_ring_empty() function returns TRUE if the buf_ring is empty, FALSE otherwise. The buf_ring_full() function returns TRUE if no more items can be enqueued, FALSE otherwise. The buf_ring_peek() function returns a pointer to the last element in the buf_ring if the buf_ring is not empty, NULL otherwise. RETURN VALUES
The buf_ring_enqueue() function return ENOBUFS if there are no available slots in the buf_ring. HISTORY
These functions were introduced in FreeBSD 8.0. BSD
September 27, 2012 BSD