Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Performance problem with removing duplicates in a huge file (50+ GB) Post 302751843 by jim mcnamara on Friday 4th of January 2013 03:12:32 PM
Old 01-04-2013
The problems are:

Using associative arrays in awk can use lots of memory for a file that large, so it may not work well. If the key(s) are a small size you might get it to work. And awk is really good for this application.

Please post a few records from the big file and carefully define the columns or keys you use to detect duplicates.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing duplicates from a file

i have a file with some 1000 entries it will contain entries like 1000,ram 2000,pankaj 1001,rahim 1000,ram 2532,govind 2000,pankaj 3000,venkat 2532,govind what i want is i want to extract only the distinct rows from this file so my output should contain only 1000,ram... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing duplicates of a pattern from a file

hey all, I need some help. I have a text file with names in it. My target is that if a particular pattern exists in that file more than once..then i want to rename all the occurences of that pattern by alternate patterns.. for e.g if i have PATTERN occuring 5 times then i want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashisharora
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates from log file?

I have a log file with posts looking like this: -- Messages can be delivered by different systems at different times. The id number is used to sort out duplicate messages. What I need is to strip the arrival time from each post, sort posts by id number, and reattach arrival time to respective... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Duplicates from file

Hi Experts, Please check the following new requirement. I got data like the following in a file. FILE_HEADER 01cbbfde7898410| 3477945| home| 1 01cbc275d2c122| 3478234| WORK| 1 01cbbe4362743da| 3496386| Rich Spare| 1 01cbc275d2c122| 3478234| WORK| 1 This is pipe separated file with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinufarid
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting a file and removing duplicates

Hi, I have a file that I want to change the format of. It is a large file in rows but I want it to be comma separated (comma then a space). The current file looks like this: HI, Joe, Bob, Jack, Jack After I would want to remove any duplicates so it would look like this: HI, Joe,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

Performance issue with 'grep' command for huge file size

I have 2 files; one file (say, details.txt) contains the details of employees and another file (say, emp.txt) has some selected employee names. I am extracting employee details from details.txt by using emp.txt and the corresponding code is: while read line do emp_name=`echo $line` grep -e... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arb_1984
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing duplicates from a file

Hi All, I am merging files coming from 2 different systems ,while doing that I am getting duplicates entries in the merged file I,01,000131,764,2,4.00 I,01,000131,765,2,4.00 I,01,000131,772,2,4.00 I,01,000131,773,2,4.00 I,01,000168,762,2,2.00 I,01,000168,763,2,2.00... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates from new file

i hav two files like i want to remove/delete all the duplicate lines in file2 which are viz unix,unix2,unix3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates from new file

i hav two files like i want to remove/delete all the duplicate lines in file2 which are viz unix,unix2,unix3.I have tried previous post also,but in that complete line must be similar.In this case i have to verify first column only regardless what is the content in succeeding columns. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing White spaces from a huge file

I am trying to remove whitespaces from a file containing sample data as: 457 <EOFD> Mar 1 2007 12:00:00:000AM <EOFD> Mar 31 2007 12:00:00:000AM <EOFD> system <EORD> 458 <EOFD> Mar 1 2007 12:00:00:000AM<EOFD>agf <EOFD> Apr 20 2007 9:10:56:036PM <EOFD> prodiws<EORD> . Basically these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvip
11 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If one of the file names is the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Input fields are normally separated spaces or tabs; output fields by space. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are discarded. The following options are recognized, with POSIX syntax. -a n In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -v n Like -a, omitting output for paired lines. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -1 m -2 m Join on the mth field of file1 or file2. -jn m Archaic equivalent for -n m. -ofields Each output line comprises the designated fields. The comma-separated field designators are either 0, meaning the join field, or have the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. Archaic usage allows separate arguments for field designators. -tc Use character c as the only separator (tab character) on input and output. Every appearance of c in a line is significant. EXAMPLES
sort /etc/passwd | join -t: -1 1 -a 1 -e "" - bdays Add birthdays to the /etc/passwd file, leaving unknown birthdays empty. The layout of /adm/users is given in passwd(5); bdays con- tains sorted lines like tr : ' ' </etc/passwd | sort -k 3 3 >temp join -1 3 -2 3 -o 1.1,2.1 temp temp | awk '$1 < $2' Print all pairs of users with identical userids. SOURCE
/src/cmd/join.c SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b -ky,y; with -t, the sequence is that of sort -tx -ky,y. One of the files must be randomly accessible. JOIN(1)