Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Position of the logical volume on the physical volume Post 302751739 by kah00na on Friday 4th of January 2013 11:20:41 AM
Old 01-04-2013
I guess that is why UNIX gives the option of where you want the data because if you are worried about seek times, you'd want the data in the middle, if you were wanting raw speed to save a smaller number of large files, you'd be better off putting it on the outer edges... to each his own. Long live UNIX.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Physical volume- no free physical partitions

I was in smit, checking on disc space, etc. and it appears that one of our physical volumes that is part of a large volume group, has no free physical partitions. The server is running AIX 5.1. What would be the advisable step to take in this instance? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: markper
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM - Extending Logical Volume within Volume Group

Hello, I have logical volume group of 50GB, in which I have 2 logical volumes, LogVol01 and LogVol02, both are of 10GB. If I extend LogVol01 further by 10GB, then it keeps the extended copy after logical volume 2. I want to know where it keeps this information Regards Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghimanshu
3 Replies

3. AIX

Moving a Logical Volume from one Volume Group to Another

Does anyone have any simple methods for moving a current logical volume from one volume group to another? I do not wish to move the data from one physical volume to another. Basically, I want to "relink" the logical volume to exist in a different volume group. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krisw
2 Replies

4. AIX

Basic Filesystem / Physical Volume / Logical Volume Check

Hi! Can anyone help me on how I can do a basic check on the Unix filesystems / physical volumes and logical volumes? What items should I check, like where do I look at in smit? Or are there commands that I should execute? I need to do this as I was informed by IBM that there seems to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Unmount and remove all Logical vol.Volume group and physical disk

Hi, Someone please help me with how i can unmount and remove all the files systems from a cluster. This is being shared by two servers that are active_standby. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeli
3 Replies

6. AIX

Logical volume name conflict in two volume group

Hello, I am a french computer technician, and i speak English just a little. On Aix 5.3, I encounter a name conflict logical volume on two volume group. The first volume lvnode01 is OK in rootvg and mounted. It is also consistent in the ODM root # lsvg -l rootvg |grep lvnode01 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

9. Linux

Logical Volume to physical disk mapping

When installing Linux, I choose some default setting to use all the disk space. My server has a single internal 250Gb SCSI disk. By default the install appears to have created 3 logical volumes lv_root, lv_home and lv_swap. fdisk -l shows the following lab3.nms:/dev>fdisk -l Disk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies
consvar(8)						      System Manager's Manual							consvar(8)

NAME
consvar - Manipulate system firmware console environment variables SYNOPSIS
/sbin/consvar [-v] [-nc] -g -s -l -a -d [variable] [value] OPTIONS
Verbose mode. Prints out the system IDs used by firmware, the current firmware revision, and information about the process. Get the value of the specified console environment variable. Set the value of the specified console environment variable. List the values of all vari- ables supported by this platform that are not disabled. This is similar to the show SRM console command. Save the values of all environ- ment variables to non-volatile storage. Setting a variable with the -s option only updates the in-memory copy of console environment vari- ables. The save process could take a long time on some platforms, so it is recommended that the variables are saved after all set opera- tions have been performed. List the system and exception database information. Do not perform value conversion. Variables that contain device information have an underlying console bootstring format. If this option is used, consvar does not convert between the Tru64 UNIX names for these devices, but accepts and displays the raw values. The same goes for integer values which are converted between strings and hexadecimal values. DESCRIPTION
Use the consvar command to get, set, list, and save console environment variables available on SRM system firmware. Some firmware versions on some platforms do not comply with the Alpha SRM when dealing with certain variables, or operations. To ensure UNIX functionality with such firmware, an exception database is consulted and these operations are disabled. By default, consvar accepts and displays device values with Tru64 UNIX device names, or their device special file names. The raw console bootstrings can be used by providing the -nc option. For information regarding the console environment variables, please refer to the Alpha System Reference Manual. RETURN VALUES
Success. Failure. EXAMPLES
To show the values of all available console variables, enter: % consvar -l To get the value of the booted_dev variable, enter: % consvar -g booted_dev A message similar to the following will be displayed: booted_dev = disk0 To set the value of boot_dev, enter the device name of the required boot device: % consvar -s boot_dev disk0 To save the values of the variables across system resets, enter: % consvar -a If an operation fails, you can find out if it is dis- abled by using the -v option. For example, to see if the bootdef_dev variable is disabled, enter: % consvar -v -g bootdef_dev The exception database can be printed out along with the status of the current platform's console variable support by entering: % consvar -v -d FILES
Specifies the command path. Exception database. SEE ALSO
Functions: getsysinfo(2), setsysinfo(2) consvar(8)