Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sudo -s without password prompt Post 302751519 by RudiC on Friday 4th of January 2013 05:15:17 AM
Old 01-04-2013
There's no silver bullet for your problem. If compliant to your site's policy, you could disable the authentication requirement (cf. man sudoers):
Quote:
Authentication and Logging
The sudoers security policy requires that most users authenticate themselves before they can use sudo. A password is not required if the invoking user is root, if the
target user is the same as the invoking user, or if the policy has disabled authentication for the user or command.
You could use the -A option (cf. man sudo):
Quote:
sudo accepts the following command line options:

-A Normally, if sudo requires a password, it will read it from the user's terminal. If the -A (askpass) option is specified, a (possibly graphical) helper
program is executed to read the user's password and output the password to the standard output.
You finally could remove the reason why you need to switch to user B - adapt e.g. permissions of commands and files. Again, if compliant.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo in OS X shell script without password prompt??

I've written a shell script to alter a particular preference file on OS X (10.3.9), which works fine (tested by running the script from the terminal sat in front of the box). Problem is, I now have to run this script remotely across a number of machines via remote desktop, so where I've used the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Brad_GNET
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo, use in script without prompt for password

I need to create an automated script where I have to use sudo to switch to multiple user so the script stops and prompts for password, Is there a way I can provide the password in same command only? Remember that, I cannot disable the password settings of sudo as I dont have rights. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravgrover50
4 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Bash script prompt for sudo password?

I'm making a script that will be a double clickable .command file and I need it to prompt for the users admin password. So far I have: if ]; then sudo -p "Please enter your admin password: " date 2>/dev/null 1>&2 if ; then echo "You entered an invalid password... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatGmac
2 Replies

4. AIX

Sudo ask for password

Hello I have a partition with Aix 5.3 and I install sudo I put the commands that I want to use x user and I put the option that donkask for password. But when I run with this user and I try to run that commands. ask me for a password. I put this line for no ask for password with that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo - prompt for comment/text

Hi. Is there any way to make sudo always prompt for a comment (requirement) before proceding with the actions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: th1amigo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

password in sudo script

salmo allikm warhmat allah wabrakato i want to do script with sudo like sudo su and want to put password in the script not get from user because i to made it startup when booting and i don't know how put in script for sudo thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pua06
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh foo.com sudo command - Prompts for sudo password as visible text. Help?

I am writing a BASH script to update a webserver and then restart Apache. It looks basically like this: #!/bin/bash rsync /path/on/local/machine/ foo.com:path/on/remote/machine/ ssh foo.com sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reloadrsync and ssh don't prompt for a password, because I have DSA encryption... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluoborate
9 Replies

8. Red Hat

Sudo + Nohup = no password?

Little confused here When i go to run sudo nohup ./script.ksh & I dont get asked for a password. It starts a process ID, I can see it when i do a ps -ef | grep script. But I dont get an output file from my script, so its not doing anything. What gives? does it have to do the "&" ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Sudo Password Prompt over SSH

I am not sure what I am missing here. I have the following identical entry in /etc/sudoers on multiple Red Hat 6.4 servers. icinga ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/yum --security --exclude\="kernel*" check-update On one server when I enter the command over SSH as follows it works fine. ssh -t -q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
1 Replies

10. AIX

Sudo command prompt for a password

in the /etc/sudoer file this line was added: wtolentino ALL=(ORACLE) NOPASSWD: /bin/chmod when i tried to run this command sudo -u oracle /bin/chmod 775 /appshared/applications/lpa/executables/chrpt001.rep it prompts me for a password for example: $ pwd /appshared/applications/lpa... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies
visudo(8)						       MAINTENANCE COMMANDS							 visudo(8)

NAME
visudo - edit the sudoers file SYNOPSIS
visudo [ -c ] [ -f sudoers ] [ -q ] [ -s ] [ -V ] DESCRIPTION
visudo edits the sudoers file in a safe fashion, analogous to vipw(8). visudo locks the sudoers file against multiple simultaneous edits, provides basic sanity checks, and checks for parse errors. If the sudoers file is currently being edited you will receive a message to try again later. There is a hard-coded list of editors that visudo will use set at compile-time that may be overridden via the editor sudoers Default vari- able. This list defaults to the path to vi(1) on your system, as determined by the configure script. Normally, visudo does not honor the EDITOR or VISUAL environment variables unless they contain an editor in the aforementioned editors list. However, if visudo is configured with the --with-enveditor flag or the enveditor Default variable is set in sudoers, visudo will use any the editor defines by EDITOR or VISUAL. Note that this can be a security hole since it allows the user to execute any program they wish simply by setting EDITOR or VIS- UAL. visudo parses the sudoers file after the edit and will not save the changes if there is a syntax error. Upon finding an error, visudo will print a message stating the line number(s) where the error occurred and the user will receive the "What now?" prompt. At this point the user may enter "e" to re-edit the sudoers file, "x" to exit without saving the changes, or "Q" to quit and save changes. The "Q" option should be used with extreme care because if visudo believes there to be a parse error, so will sudo and no one will be able to sudo again until the error is fixed. If "e" is typed to edit the sudoers file after a parse error has been detected, the cursor will be placed on the line where the error occurred (if the editor supports this feature). OPTIONS
visudo accepts the following command line options: -c Enable check-only mode. The existing sudoers file will be checked for syntax and a message will be printed to the standard output detailing the status of sudoers. If the syntax check completes successfully, visudo will exit with a value of 0. If a syntax error is encountered, visudo will exit with a value of 1. -f Specify and alternate sudoers file location. With this option visudo will edit (or check) the sudoers file of your choice, instead of the default, @sysconfdir@/sudoers. The lock file used is the specified sudoers file with ".tmp" appended to it. -q Enable quiet mode. In this mode details about syntax errors are not printed. This option is only useful when combined with the -c flag. -s Enable strict checking of the sudoers file. If an alias is used before it is defined, visudo will consider this a parse error. Note that it is not possible to differentiate between an alias and a hostname or username that consists solely of uppercase letters, digits, and the underscore ('_') character. -V The -V (version) option causes visudo to print its version number and exit. ERRORS
sudoers file busy, try again later. Someone else is currently editing the sudoers file. /etc/sudoers.tmp: Permission denied You didn't run visudo as root. Can't find you in the passwd database Your userid does not appear in the system passwd file. Warning: undeclared Alias referenced near ... Either you are using a {User,Runas,Host,Cmnd}_Alias before defining it or you have a user or hostname listed that consists solely of uppercase letters, digits, and the underscore ('_') character. If the latter, you can ignore the warnings (sudo will not complain). In -s (strict) mode these are errors, not warnings. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables are used only if visudo was configured with the --with-env-editor option: EDITOR Invoked by visudo as the editor to use VISUAL Used Invoked visudo if EDITOR is not set FILES
/etc/sudoers List of who can run what /etc/sudoers.tmp Lock file for visudo AUTHOR
Many people have worked on sudo over the years; this version of visudo was written by: Todd Miller <Todd.Miller@courtesan.com> See the HISTORY file in the sudo distribution or visit http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/history.html for more details. BUGS
If you feel you have found a bug in sudo, please submit a bug report at http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/bugs/ DISCLAIMER
Visudo is provided ``AS IS'' and any express or implied warranties, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantabil- ity and fitness for a particular purpose are disclaimed. See the LICENSE file distributed with sudo for complete details. CAVEATS
There is no easy way to prevent a user from gaining a root shell if the editor used by visudo allows shell escapes. SEE ALSO
vi(1), sudo(8), vipw(8). 3rd Berkeley Distribution 1.6.6 visudo(8)