Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sudo -s without password prompt Post 302751519 by RudiC on Friday 4th of January 2013 05:15:17 AM
Old 01-04-2013
There's no silver bullet for your problem. If compliant to your site's policy, you could disable the authentication requirement (cf. man sudoers):
Quote:
Authentication and Logging
The sudoers security policy requires that most users authenticate themselves before they can use sudo. A password is not required if the invoking user is root, if the
target user is the same as the invoking user, or if the policy has disabled authentication for the user or command.
You could use the -A option (cf. man sudo):
Quote:
sudo accepts the following command line options:

-A Normally, if sudo requires a password, it will read it from the user's terminal. If the -A (askpass) option is specified, a (possibly graphical) helper
program is executed to read the user's password and output the password to the standard output.
You finally could remove the reason why you need to switch to user B - adapt e.g. permissions of commands and files. Again, if compliant.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo in OS X shell script without password prompt??

I've written a shell script to alter a particular preference file on OS X (10.3.9), which works fine (tested by running the script from the terminal sat in front of the box). Problem is, I now have to run this script remotely across a number of machines via remote desktop, so where I've used the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Brad_GNET
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo, use in script without prompt for password

I need to create an automated script where I have to use sudo to switch to multiple user so the script stops and prompts for password, Is there a way I can provide the password in same command only? Remember that, I cannot disable the password settings of sudo as I dont have rights. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravgrover50
4 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Bash script prompt for sudo password?

I'm making a script that will be a double clickable .command file and I need it to prompt for the users admin password. So far I have: if ]; then sudo -p "Please enter your admin password: " date 2>/dev/null 1>&2 if ; then echo "You entered an invalid password... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatGmac
2 Replies

4. AIX

Sudo ask for password

Hello I have a partition with Aix 5.3 and I install sudo I put the commands that I want to use x user and I put the option that donkask for password. But when I run with this user and I try to run that commands. ask me for a password. I put this line for no ask for password with that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo - prompt for comment/text

Hi. Is there any way to make sudo always prompt for a comment (requirement) before proceding with the actions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: th1amigo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

password in sudo script

salmo allikm warhmat allah wabrakato i want to do script with sudo like sudo su and want to put password in the script not get from user because i to made it startup when booting and i don't know how put in script for sudo thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pua06
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh foo.com sudo command - Prompts for sudo password as visible text. Help?

I am writing a BASH script to update a webserver and then restart Apache. It looks basically like this: #!/bin/bash rsync /path/on/local/machine/ foo.com:path/on/remote/machine/ ssh foo.com sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reloadrsync and ssh don't prompt for a password, because I have DSA encryption... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluoborate
9 Replies

8. Red Hat

Sudo + Nohup = no password?

Little confused here When i go to run sudo nohup ./script.ksh & I dont get asked for a password. It starts a process ID, I can see it when i do a ps -ef | grep script. But I dont get an output file from my script, so its not doing anything. What gives? does it have to do the "&" ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Sudo Password Prompt over SSH

I am not sure what I am missing here. I have the following identical entry in /etc/sudoers on multiple Red Hat 6.4 servers. icinga ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/yum --security --exclude\="kernel*" check-update On one server when I enter the command over SSH as follows it works fine. ssh -t -q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
1 Replies

10. AIX

Sudo command prompt for a password

in the /etc/sudoer file this line was added: wtolentino ALL=(ORACLE) NOPASSWD: /bin/chmod when i tried to run this command sudo -u oracle /bin/chmod 775 /appshared/applications/lpa/executables/chrpt001.rep it prompts me for a password for example: $ pwd /appshared/applications/lpa... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies
SUDO(5) 						      BSD File Formats Manual							   SUDO(5)

NAME
sudo.conf -- configuration for sudo front end DESCRIPTION
The sudo.conf file is used to configure the sudo front end. It specifies the security policy and I/O logging plugins, debug flags as well as plugin-agnostic path names and settings. The sudo.conf file supports the following directives, described in detail below. Plugin a security policy or I/O logging plugin Path a plugin-agnostic path Set a front end setting, such as disable_coredump or group_source Debug debug flags to aid in debugging sudo, sudoreplay, visudo, and the sudoers plugin. The pound sign ('#') is used to indicate a comment. Both the comment character and any text after it, up to the end of the line, are ignored. Non-comment lines that don't begin with Plugin, Path, Debug, or Set are silently ignored. The sudo.conf file is always parsed in the ``C'' locale. Plugin configuration sudo supports a plugin architecture for security policies and input/output logging. Third parties can develop and distribute their own pol- icy and I/O logging plugins to work seamlessly with the sudo front end. Plugins are dynamically loaded based on the contents of sudo.conf. A Plugin line consists of the Plugin keyword, followed by the symbol_name and the path to the shared object containing the plugin. The symbol_name is the name of the struct policy_plugin or struct io_plugin in the plugin shared object. The path may be fully qualified or rel- ative. If not fully qualified, it is relative to the /usr/libexec directory. In other words: Plugin sudoers_policy sudoers.so is equivalent to: Plugin sudoers_policy /usr/libexec/sudoers.so Any additional parameters after the path are passed as arguments to the plugin's open function. For example, to override the compile-time default sudoers file mode: Plugin sudoers_policy sudoers.so sudoers_mode=0440 If no sudo.conf file is present, or if it contains no Plugin lines, the sudoers plugin will be used as the default security policy and for I/O logging (if enabled by the policy). This is equivalent to the following: Plugin policy_plugin sudoers.so Plugin io_plugin sudoers.so For more information on the sudo plugin architecture, see the sudo_plugin(8) manual. Path settings A Path line consists of the Path keyword, followed by the name of the path to set and its value. For example: Path noexec /usr/libexec/sudo_noexec.so Path askpass /usr/X11R6/bin/ssh-askpass The following plugin-agnostic paths may be set in the /etc/sudo.conf file: askpass The fully qualified path to a helper program used to read the user's password when no terminal is available. This may be the case when sudo is executed from a graphical (as opposed to text-based) application. The program specified by askpass should display the argument passed to it as the prompt and write the user's password to the standard output. The value of askpass may be overridden by the SUDO_ASKPASS environment variable. noexec The fully-qualified path to a shared library containing dummy versions of the execv(), execve() and fexecve() library functions that just return an error. This is used to implement the noexec functionality on systems that support LD_PRELOAD or its equiva- lent. The default value is: /usr/libexec/sudo_noexec.so. Other settings The sudo.conf file also supports the following front end settings: disable_coredump Core dumps of sudo itself are disabled by default. To aid in debugging sudo crashes, you may wish to re-enable core dumps by set- ting ``disable_coredump'' to false in sudo.conf as follows: Set disable_coredump false Note that most operating systems disable core dumps from setuid programs, including sudo. To actually get a sudo core file you will likely need to enable core dumps for setuid processes. On BSD and Linux systems this is accomplished via the sysctl command. On Solaris, the coreadm command is used to configure core dump behavior. This setting is only available in sudo version 1.8.4 and higher. Debug flags sudo versions 1.8.4 and higher support a flexible debugging framework that can help track down what sudo is doing internally if there is a problem. A Debug line consists of the Debug keyword, followed by the name of the program (or plugin) to debug (sudo, visudo, sudoreplay, sudoers), the debug file name and a comma-separated list of debug flags. The debug flag syntax used by sudo and the sudoers plugin is subsystem@priority but a plugin is free to use a different format so long as it does not include a comma (','). For example: Debug sudo /var/log/sudo_debug all@warn,plugin@info would log all debugging statements at the warn level and higher in addition to those at the info level for the plugin subsystem. Currently, only one Debug entry per program is supported. The sudo Debug entry is shared by the sudo front end, sudoedit and the plugins. A future release may add support for per-plugin Debug lines and/or support for multiple debugging files for a single program. The priorities used by the sudo front end, in order of decreasing severity, are: crit, err, warn, notice, diag, info, trace and debug. Each priority, when specified, also includes all priorities higher than it. For example, a priority of notice would include debug messages logged at notice and higher. The following subsystems are used by the sudo front-end: all matches every subsystem args command line argument processing conv user conversation edit sudoedit exec command execution main sudo main function netif network interface handling pcomm communication with the plugin plugin plugin configuration pty pseudo-tty related code selinux SELinux-specific handling util utility functions utmp utmp handling FILES
/etc/sudo.conf sudo front end configuration EXAMPLES
# # Default /etc/sudo.conf file # # Format: # Plugin plugin_name plugin_path plugin_options ... # Path askpass /path/to/askpass # Path noexec /path/to/sudo_noexec.so # Debug sudo /var/log/sudo_debug all@warn # Set disable_coredump true # # The plugin_path is relative to /usr/libexec unless # fully qualified. # The plugin_name corresponds to a global symbol in the plugin # that contains the plugin interface structure. # The plugin_options are optional. # # The sudoers plugin is used by default if no Plugin lines are # present. Plugin policy_plugin sudoers.so Plugin io_plugin sudoers.so # # Sudo askpass: # # An askpass helper program may be specified to provide a graphical # password prompt for "sudo -A" support. Sudo does not ship with # its own askpass program but can use the OpenSSH askpass. # # Use the OpenSSH askpass #Path askpass /usr/X11R6/bin/ssh-askpass # # Use the Gnome OpenSSH askpass #Path askpass /usr/libexec/openssh/gnome-ssh-askpass # # Sudo noexec: # # Path to a shared library containing dummy versions of the execv(), # execve() and fexecve() library functions that just return an error. # This is used to implement the "noexec" functionality on systems that # support C<LD_PRELOAD> or its equivalent. # The compiled-in value is usually sufficient and should only be # changed if you rename or move the sudo_noexec.so file. # #Path noexec /usr/libexec/sudo_noexec.so # # Core dumps: # # By default, sudo disables core dumps while it is executing # (they are re-enabled for the command that is run). # To aid in debugging sudo problems, you may wish to enable core # dumps by setting "disable_coredump" to false. # #Set disable_coredump false SEE ALSO
sudoers(5), sudo(8), sudo_plugin(8) HISTORY
See the HISTORY file in the sudo distribution (http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/history.html) for a brief history of sudo. AUTHORS
Many people have worked on sudo over the years; this version consists of code written primarily by: Todd C. Miller See the CONTRIBUTORS file in the sudo distribution (http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/contributors.html) for an exhaustive list of people who have con- tributed to sudo. BUGS
If you feel you have found a bug in sudo, please submit a bug report at http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/bugs/ SUPPORT
Limited free support is available via the sudo-users mailing list, see http://www.sudo.ws/mailman/listinfo/sudo-users to subscribe or search the archives. DISCLAIMER
sudo is provided ``AS IS'' and any express or implied warranties, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose are disclaimed. See the LICENSE file distributed with sudo or http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/license.html for complete details. Sudo 1.8.6p7 February 5, 2013 Sudo 1.8.6p7