Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Writing to System Logs
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Writing to System Logs Post 302751149 by Brandon9000 on Thursday 3rd of January 2013 09:08:50 AM
Old 01-03-2013
Thank you.

What I would write is beginning of day markers at midnight. My issue is that these logs never show the year. Ordinarily, this causes no confusion, since the year is quite obvious. For machines that may be down for years or months at a time, there could occasionaly be ambiguity as to the year of a log entry. Therefore, for reasons connected with my application, I am considering writing a 12:00 AM delimiter, which includes the year, to remove all doubt as to exactly what day, including year, every message belongs to.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

system logs' life

How can you control old system logs keep(or storage) time in Solaris ? Is there any method ? it depends on buffer size long or date long ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xramm
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

not able to redirect the logs of a singl date in one system

Hi All, I have around 15 servers. I need to check for the error in /var/adm/messages in 15 servers of current date everyday and log it in one server. rsh is configured in all servers. The command I am using to accomplish this in shell script is rsh <remote sever> grep 'Jun 17'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: partha_bhunia
2 Replies

3. AIX

System Logs

Dear Gurus I am running AIX with several users that are using the system, i would like to monitor the commands that are run by these users. Is there a log system that records the commands that are executed by the users??? Any kind of help will be appreciated. Regards Masquerder (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masquerer
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep yesterday logs from weblogic logs

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would go search and get the info from the logs based on yesterday timestamp and write yesterday logs in new file. The log file format is as follows: """"""""""""""""""""""""""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish.parker
3 Replies

5. Solaris

logs for system shutdown

I am working on a SUN T2000 machine with Solaris 10 running on it. When I checked the system this morning, I found it to be turned off. The lastreboot command showed that the system had been shut down the previous night. I want to find out how the system was shut down. I have run hardware health... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: batman727
2 Replies

6. AIX

system logs

good evening all dear all where i can find the system logs in AIX 5.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Svc messages flooding the system logs every second

Hi all I have a newly installed Oracle X2-4 server running Solaris 10 x86 with the latest patches. I have one non-global zone configured running an Oracle DB instance. After configuring IPMP failover between two NICs on the server and rebooting I am seeing the /var/adm/messages being flooded... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
7 Replies

8. AIX

AIX system logs files

hello, i just want to know logs files for these actions listed below : - User Account Creation - User Account Deletion - Failed and or Successful User Password Changes - Failed Login Activities for all User Users - System Reboot or and shutdown help appreciated... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bolou
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies
ROTATELOGS(8)							    rotatelogs							     ROTATELOGS(8)

NAME
rotatelogs - Piped logging program to rotate Apache logs SYNOPSIS
rotatelogs [ -l ] [ -f ] logfile rotationtime|filesizeM [ offset ] SUMMARY
rotatelogs is a simple program for use in conjunction with Apache's piped logfile feature. It supports rotation based on a time interval or maximum size of the log. OPTIONS
-l Causes the use of local time rather than GMT as the base for the interval or for strftime(3) formatting with size-based rotation. Note that using -l in an environment which changes the GMT offset (such as for BST or DST) can lead to unpredictable results! -f Causes the logfile to be opened immediately, as soon as rotatelogs starts, instead of waiting for the first logfile entry to be read (for non-busy sites, there may be a substantial delay between when the server is started and when the first request is handled, meaning that the associated logfile does not "exist" until then, which causes problems from some automated logging tools). Available in version 2.2.9 and later. logfile The path plus basename of the logfile. If logfile includes any '%' characters, it is treated as a format string for strftime(3). Otherwise, the suffix .nnnnnnnnnn is automatically added and is the time in seconds. Both formats compute the start time from the beginning of the current period. For example, if a rotation time of 86400 is specified, the hour, minute, and second fields created from the strftime(3) format will all be zero, referring to the beginning of the current 24-hour period (midnight). rotationtime The time between log file rotations in seconds. The rotation occurs at the beginning of this interval. For example, if the rotation time is 3600, the log file will be rotated at the beginning of every hour; if the rotation time is 86400, the log file will be rotated every night at midnight. (If no data is logged during an interval, no file will be created.) filesizeM The maximum file size in megabytes followed by the letter M to specify size rather than time. offset The number of minutes offset from UTC. If omitted, zero is assumed and UTC is used. For example, to use local time in the zone UTC -5 hours, specify a value of -300 for this argument. In most cases, -l should be used instead of specifying an offset. EXAMPLES
CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.nnnn where nnnn is the system time at which the log nominally starts (this time will always be a multiple of the rotation time, so you can synchronize cron scripts with it). At the end of each rotation time (here after 24 hours) a new log is started. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs -l /var/logs/logfile.%Y.%m.%d 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.yyyy.mm.dd where yyyy is the year, mm is the month, and dd is the day of the month. Logging will switch to a new file every day at midnight, local time. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 5M" common This configuration will rotate the logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes. ErrorLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/errorlog.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S 5M" This configuration will rotate the error logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes, and the suffix to the logfile name will be cre- ated of the form errorlog.YYYY-mm-dd-HH_MM_SS. PORTABILITY
The following logfile format string substitutions should be supported by all strftime(3) implementations, see the strftime(3) man page for library-specific extensions. o %A - full weekday name (localized) o %a - 3-character weekday name (localized) o %B - full month name (localized) o %b - 3-character month name (localized) o %c - date and time (localized) o %d - 2-digit day of month o %H - 2-digit hour (24 hour clock) o %I - 2-digit hour (12 hour clock) o %j - 3-digit day of year o %M - 2-digit minute o %m - 2-digit month o %p - am/pm of 12 hour clock (localized) o %S - 2-digit second o %U - 2-digit week of year (Sunday first day of week) o %W - 2-digit week of year (Monday first day of week) o %w - 1-digit weekday (Sunday first day of week) o %X - time (localized) o %x - date (localized) o %Y - 4-digit year o %y - 2-digit year o %Z - time zone name o %% - literal `%' Apache HTTP Server 2008-05-10 ROTATELOGS(8)