Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Writing to System Logs
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Writing to System Logs Post 302750889 by thmnetwork on Wednesday 2nd of January 2013 06:08:26 PM
Old 01-02-2013
You wouldn't be able to specify these particular files (the messages are routed to the destination files based on the facility/priority pair the program assigned to the message). However the files and the facility/priorities that write to them are pretty consistent across most distributions' default configurations, so you can usually be 90% sure of what file your log will end up in. For example, almost all distributions will route a "mail" facility message of any priority to the /var/log/maillog file, anything logged as "authpriv" to /var/log/secure etc. Linux distros don't have to do it that way, but they have adopted similar configurations just to stick with a common convention where possible.

Basically: by design, you won't be able to be sure that some mail-related message you generate will always end up in /var/log/maillog but if you log to the "mail" facility you can just know that /var/log/maillog is where it's going to end up on almost every major Linux distribution.

Last edited by thmnetwork; 01-02-2013 at 07:19 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

system logs' life

How can you control old system logs keep(or storage) time in Solaris ? Is there any method ? it depends on buffer size long or date long ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xramm
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

not able to redirect the logs of a singl date in one system

Hi All, I have around 15 servers. I need to check for the error in /var/adm/messages in 15 servers of current date everyday and log it in one server. rsh is configured in all servers. The command I am using to accomplish this in shell script is rsh <remote sever> grep 'Jun 17'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: partha_bhunia
2 Replies

3. AIX

System Logs

Dear Gurus I am running AIX with several users that are using the system, i would like to monitor the commands that are run by these users. Is there a log system that records the commands that are executed by the users??? Any kind of help will be appreciated. Regards Masquerder (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masquerer
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep yesterday logs from weblogic logs

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would go search and get the info from the logs based on yesterday timestamp and write yesterday logs in new file. The log file format is as follows: """"""""""""""""""""""""""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish.parker
3 Replies

5. Solaris

logs for system shutdown

I am working on a SUN T2000 machine with Solaris 10 running on it. When I checked the system this morning, I found it to be turned off. The lastreboot command showed that the system had been shut down the previous night. I want to find out how the system was shut down. I have run hardware health... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: batman727
2 Replies

6. AIX

system logs

good evening all dear all where i can find the system logs in AIX 5.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Svc messages flooding the system logs every second

Hi all I have a newly installed Oracle X2-4 server running Solaris 10 x86 with the latest patches. I have one non-global zone configured running an Oracle DB instance. After configuring IPMP failover between two NICs on the server and rebooting I am seeing the /var/adm/messages being flooded... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
7 Replies

8. AIX

AIX system logs files

hello, i just want to know logs files for these actions listed below : - User Account Creation - User Account Deletion - Failed and or Successful User Password Changes - Failed Login Activities for all User Users - System Reboot or and shutdown help appreciated... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bolou
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies
syslog.conf(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    syslog.conf(4)

NAME
syslog.conf - syslogd configuration file SYNOPSIS
facility.severity destination Where: Is part of the system generating the message, specified in /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. See also the syslogd(8) reference page. The severity level, which can be emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info, or debug. See /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. The syslogd daemon logs all messages of the specified severity level plus all messages of greater severity. For example, if you specify level err, all messages of levels err, crit, alert, and emerg or panic are logged. A local file pathname to a log file, a host name for remote logging or a list of users. In the latter case the users will receive messages when they are logged in. An asterisk (*) causes a message to be sent to all users who are currently logged in. DESCRIPTION
The /etc/syslog.conf file is a system file that enables you to configure or filter events that are to be logged by syslogd. You can specify more than one facility and its severity level by separating them with semicolons. You can specify more than one facility logs to the same file by separating the facilities with commas, as shown in the EXAMPLES section. The syslogd daemon ignores blank lines and lines that begin with an octothorpe (#). You can specify # as the first character in a line to include comments in the file or to disable an entry. The facility and severity level are separated from the destination by one or more tab characters. If you want the syslogd daemon to use a configuration file other than the default, you must specify the file name with the following com- mand: # syslogd -f config_file Daily Log Files You can specify in the /etc/syslog.conf file that the syslogd daemon create daily log files. To create daily log files, use the following syntax to specify the path name of the message destination: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ { file} The file variable specifies the name of the log file, for example, mail.log or kern.log. If you specify a /var/adm/syslog.dated/file path name destination, each day the syslogd daemon creates a sub-directory under the /var/adm/syslog.dated directory and a log file in the sub-directory, using the following syntax: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ date / file Where: The date variable specifies the day, month, and time that the log file was created. The file variable specifies the name of the log file you previously specified in the /etc/syslog.conf file. The syslogd daemon automatically cre- ates a new date directory every 24 hours and also when you boot the system. The current directory is a link to the latest date directory. To get the latest logs, you only need to reference the /var/adm/syslog.dated/current directory. EXAMPLES
The following is a sample /etc/syslog.conf file: # # syslogd config file # # facilities: kern user mail daemon auth syslog lpr binary # priorities: emerg alert crit err warning notice info debug # kern.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/kern.log user.debug /var/adm/sys- log.dated/user.log daemon.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/daemon.log auth.crit;syslog.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/syslog.log mail,lpr.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/misc.log msgbuf.err /var/adm/crash.dated/msgbuf.savecore kern.debug /var/adm/messages kern.debug /dev/console *.emerg * FILES
/etc/syslog.conf /etc/syslog.auth - Authorization file for remote logging. /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h - Common components of a syslog event log record. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: /usr/sbin/syslogd(8), /usr/sbin/binlogd(8) System Administration delim off syslog.conf(4)