Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Difference in conflict resolving between yum and rpm installs Post 302750717 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 2nd of January 2013 10:01:22 AM
Old 01-02-2013
You are telling yum to install a particular version ( -localinstall) - hence that is what it is going to do, i.e. resolve the dependencies if possible and install package.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

where to edit yum or rpm packages to update

I am setting up a new server with the goal of porting a solaris server to centos. I want to compile some packages myself (ie) http, ssl, mysql, etc. The reason for this is the downloadable rpm packages are very old. I probably want to make sure the kernel is up to date, but the individual pages... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csross
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

Remote installation of rpm package (Using YUM)

Hi, I have configured YUM repository on a server and we have 10 linux machine (clients). Is there any way we can install a package on all the 10 machines from YUM repository server? Please help me. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday123
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between um update versus yum upgrade

Hi, I notice that CENTOS has a yum upgrade and update option. The man pages say that upgrade is the same as update with the obsolete option on. What is the obsolete option? I do not really understand the man page's description of it. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Difference between %install and %files section in rpm building ?

Hello, I am just a newbie and have very recently started building rpms, i build a very simple rpm that packaged 3 files and everything worked very smoothly. However to be very honest i am not very much clear with what is the difference between %install and %files section. I mean like we... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to install .rpm file from a directory using yum?

Hello Everybody, I am having a cluster which is not connected to internet. I want to check its performance do I downloaded required packages from the internet and copied them in a particular folder. As per the instructions given at http:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertspade
6 Replies

6. Linux

Difference in binary file sizes after deploying package via yum/rpm

Hi Guys, I have an issue whereby I package up an rpm and when I deploy it, the binary filesizes differ from what I packaged up from the SOURCE directory. from source - -rwxrwxr-x 1 user group 685156 Sep 26 15:50 cybAgent.bin after install - -rwxr-xr-x 1 user group 683388 Oct 16 11:10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gazza-o
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Difference between Unix and Linux for resolving symbols

I came across a difference between Unix and Linux, when it comes to resolving the symbols from the libs. consider the following code segments... $ cat call1.c #include <stdio.h> int a1; extern int a3; void prnt_a3() { printf("\n%d\n",a3); } $ cat test.c #include <stdio.h>... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowline84
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Yum gives error : filename does not end in .rpm.

Hi there /root #yum localinstall sg3_utils Loaded plugins: product-id, refresh-packagekit, subscription-manager Updating Red Hat repositories. Setting up Local Package Process Skipping: sg3_utils, filename does not end in .rpm. Nothing to do /root # above is the error /root... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Yum - resolving missing dependencies that are not missing

I am trying to install VirtualBox on RHEL 5 but I need the 32 bit version for 32 bit Windows. When I run yum I get the following: sudo yum localinstall /auto/spvtg-it/spvss-migration/Software/VirtualBox-4.3-4.3.2_90405_el6-1.i686.rpm Loaded plugins: fastestmirror Setting up Local Package... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gw1500se
13 Replies

10. Solaris

Yum, rpm, apt-get install command not found in Solaris

I am using solaris 10 yum command not found apt-get install command not found rpm command not found how to use yum and apt-get command in solaris how to install dhcp, openldap-servers packages in solaris (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ainstin
4 Replies
RPMSPEC(8)						      System Manager's Manual							RPMSPEC(8)

NAME
rpmspec - RPM Spec Tool SYNOPSIS
QUERYING SPEC FILES: rpmspec {-q|--query} [select-options] [query-options] SPEC_FILE ... select-options [--rpms] [--srpms] query-options [--qf,--queryformat QUERYFMT] [--target TARGET_PLATFORM] QUERY OPTIONS The general form of an rpm spec query command is rpm {-q|--query} [select-options] [query-options] You may specify the format that the information should be printed in. To do this, you use the --qf|--queryformat QUERYFMT option, followed by the QUERYFMT format string. See rpm(8) for details. SELECT OPTIONS --rpms Operate on the binary package header(s). --srpm Operate on the source package header(s). SEE ALSO
popt(3), rpm(8), rpmdb(8), rpmkeys(8), rpmsign(8), rpm2cpio(8), rpmbuild(8), rpmspec --help - as rpm supports customizing the options via popt aliases it's impossible to guarantee that what's described in the manual matches what's available. http://www.rpm.org/ <URL:http://www.rpm.org/> AUTHORS
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com> Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@redhat.com> Red Hat, Inc 29 October 2010 RPMSPEC(8)