Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Difference in conflict resolving between yum and rpm installs Post 302750483 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 1st of January 2013 09:28:27 AM
Old 01-01-2013
That is the expected behavior for rpm. You were trying to install the package over an existing package. Try the rpm -U or -F options and see the difference.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

where to edit yum or rpm packages to update

I am setting up a new server with the goal of porting a solaris server to centos. I want to compile some packages myself (ie) http, ssl, mysql, etc. The reason for this is the downloadable rpm packages are very old. I probably want to make sure the kernel is up to date, but the individual pages... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csross
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

Remote installation of rpm package (Using YUM)

Hi, I have configured YUM repository on a server and we have 10 linux machine (clients). Is there any way we can install a package on all the 10 machines from YUM repository server? Please help me. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday123
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between um update versus yum upgrade

Hi, I notice that CENTOS has a yum upgrade and update option. The man pages say that upgrade is the same as update with the obsolete option on. What is the obsolete option? I do not really understand the man page's description of it. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Difference between %install and %files section in rpm building ?

Hello, I am just a newbie and have very recently started building rpms, i build a very simple rpm that packaged 3 files and everything worked very smoothly. However to be very honest i am not very much clear with what is the difference between %install and %files section. I mean like we... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to install .rpm file from a directory using yum?

Hello Everybody, I am having a cluster which is not connected to internet. I want to check its performance do I downloaded required packages from the internet and copied them in a particular folder. As per the instructions given at http:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertspade
6 Replies

6. Linux

Difference in binary file sizes after deploying package via yum/rpm

Hi Guys, I have an issue whereby I package up an rpm and when I deploy it, the binary filesizes differ from what I packaged up from the SOURCE directory. from source - -rwxrwxr-x 1 user group 685156 Sep 26 15:50 cybAgent.bin after install - -rwxr-xr-x 1 user group 683388 Oct 16 11:10... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gazza-o
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Difference between Unix and Linux for resolving symbols

I came across a difference between Unix and Linux, when it comes to resolving the symbols from the libs. consider the following code segments... $ cat call1.c #include <stdio.h> int a1; extern int a3; void prnt_a3() { printf("\n%d\n",a3); } $ cat test.c #include <stdio.h>... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowline84
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Yum gives error : filename does not end in .rpm.

Hi there /root #yum localinstall sg3_utils Loaded plugins: product-id, refresh-packagekit, subscription-manager Updating Red Hat repositories. Setting up Local Package Process Skipping: sg3_utils, filename does not end in .rpm. Nothing to do /root # above is the error /root... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Yum - resolving missing dependencies that are not missing

I am trying to install VirtualBox on RHEL 5 but I need the 32 bit version for 32 bit Windows. When I run yum I get the following: sudo yum localinstall /auto/spvtg-it/spvss-migration/Software/VirtualBox-4.3-4.3.2_90405_el6-1.i686.rpm Loaded plugins: fastestmirror Setting up Local Package... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gw1500se
13 Replies

10. Solaris

Yum, rpm, apt-get install command not found in Solaris

I am using solaris 10 yum command not found apt-get install command not found rpm command not found how to use yum and apt-get command in solaris how to install dhcp, openldap-servers packages in solaris (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ainstin
4 Replies
RPMSPEC(8)                                                    System Manager's Manual                                                   RPMSPEC(8)

NAME
rpmspec - RPM Spec Tool SYNOPSIS
QUERYING SPEC FILES: rpmspec {-q|--query} [select-options] [query-options] SPEC_FILE ... select-options [--rpms] [--srpms] query-options [--qf,--queryformat QUERYFMT] [--target TARGET_PLATFORM] QUERY OPTIONS The general form of an rpm spec query command is rpm {-q|--query} [select-options] [query-options] You may specify the format that the information should be printed in. To do this, you use the --qf|--queryformat QUERYFMT option, followed by the QUERYFMT format string. See rpm(8) for details. SELECT OPTIONS --rpms Operate on the binary package header(s). --srpm Operate on the source package header(s). SEE ALSO
popt(3), rpm(8), rpmdb(8), rpmkeys(8), rpmsign(8), rpm2cpio(8), rpmbuild(8), rpmspec --help - as rpm supports customizing the options via popt aliases it's impossible to guarantee that what's described in the manual matches what's available. http://www.rpm.org/ <URL:http://www.rpm.org/> AUTHORS
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com> Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@redhat.com> Red Hat, Inc 29 October 2010 RPMSPEC(8)