Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris System is stuck at the OK prompt Post 302750313 by Martincorneuk on Monday 31st of December 2012 12:00:57 PM
Old 12-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluridge

The last file executed before the system boots up is /etc/inittab so does that mean the boot block was successfully executed if I coem to the ok prompt?
I'm no genius but..... Your machine would come to the ok> prompt with no disks in it.... OBP sits beneath the OS and is totally independant of it so the bootblk isn't a factor in getting to the ok> .... :0/

What are you using to mirror the disks SDS/SVM or VxVM?

By rights there should be no need to break the mirrors neatly.... The whole point of mirroring them is to protect against a catestrophic failure in a disk.... Which you would have created by pulling one of them.... I'd have thought both should be bootable, you need to be absolutely sure the boot paths for rootdisk & rootmirror are correct, it's easy to miss a slice or somesuch....

Martin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wiping system from ok prompt

So last week I posted about my system that will not completely boot. It reports a bad trap and reboots in an endless cycle. I'm at a point where I just want to wipe the system clean, reload the software and basically start from scratch. I can interrupt the boot cycle and get to an ok prompt.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forbin24
2 Replies

2. Solaris

system get stuck on stand by mode

Hi Im using a Sun blade 1500 with solaris 8 and when the monitor goes to stand by mode, the machine doesnt return to the normal mode anymore. Then i have to reboot it always. Does anybody have a clue how can i solve it or turn off the stand by mode? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dougpss
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Specs in OK Prompt

Hello to all! In the OK prompt, which command should I use to see RAM memory, CPU, and disks partition and capacity? I have in my hands an ancient Ultra5 machine, which Im trying to install Solaris, but don't know if the configuration is the original one. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_BR
4 Replies

4. Programming

I'm stuck :(

Suppose that I have some data: 12,30 12,45 2,3 7,8 3,9 30, 8 45,54 56,65 Where (a,b) indicates that a is connected to b. I want to get all connected nodes to one point. For instance, the output of the above example should be something like: Group 1 2,3 3,9 Group 2 12,30 12,45... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
4 Replies

5. Solaris

system won't start to GUI it stuck

Hi. I got this message in our sun station and it stuck Setting default IPv4 interface for multicast: add net 224.0/4: gateway pecsun22 but i can still telenet the station... who could i fix this.. appreciate your help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
7 Replies

6. Solaris

How to change the system prompt and BG of terminal?

Hi all, I was wondering how to change the PS1 to my liking? I tried changing it using PS1='my choice' it worked but the subsequent terminals i open will not have it as the default PS1 ,how do i change it? also i am running as super user, and i need to exec bash, to get the bash environment...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Can't bring E25K system controller to OK prompt

Hi, Due to some changes at our company, we lost the password for the root and sms-svc account on the primary system controller (E25K). We connected a serial console to the system controller but we never managed to break the session to bring it to the OK prompt. (tried: ~#, ~ b, ~, , a b,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solarius
9 Replies

8. Solaris

System stuck up in maintanence mode

Hi All, I got a big problem here. While setting up a sun cluster, I accidentally tried out "bootadm update-archive" as I was unable to bring the cluster up. After which, i tried a reconfiguration reboot. Now The system is always booting into maintanence mode with error message... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manojsomanath
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX?

how to Change the % prompt to - prompt in unix :wall: ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 AM ---------- How To display the last modification time of any file in unix ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:40 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjiri sawant
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies
reboot(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 reboot(8)

Name
       reboot - automatic reboot procedures

Syntax
       /etc/reboot [ -n ] [ -q ]

Description
       The  ULTRIX  system is booted by loading a kernel image, usually into memory at location zero and transferring to zero.	Because the system
       is not reenterable, the kernel image must be read in from disk each time the system is bootstrapped.

When the reboot of a running system is desired, is normally used.  If there are no users, can be used.  The command causes the disks to	be
       synced,	and  then  a multiuser reboot is initiated.  The system is booted and an automatic disk check is performed.  If the procedure suc-
       ceeds, the system is then brought up for the users.

The system will reboot itself after a power failure or after a crash, provided auto-restart is enabled on your system.  A consistency check
       of the file systems will be performed and, unless the check fails, the system will resume multiuser operations.

Options
       -n   Prevents the disks from being synced.

-q   Reboots quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first.

Files
       System code

See Also
       crash(8v), fsck(8), halt(8), init(8), newfs(8), rc(8), shutdown(8)

reboot(8)