Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware What is the medium usually used to backup large trees? Post 302750201 by jim mcnamara on Monday 31st of December 2012 06:12:13 AM
Old 12-31-2012
If you mean directory trees, tape. Not disk.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Backup single large file

Hi I have a single large file 11gb that I need to copy/backup to tape then restore on another system. I tried tar but that complained about the file being too large Anyone have any suggestions how I can do this with AIX 5.2 Much appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alvescot
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

CGI , Perl and Trees

I have been trying to get this for weeks now but maybe someone knows or has a snippet of code to display a collapsible tree view. something like this: +Yahoo! -/site.html -/site2.html +Google -/site.php -/site2.php (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

3. Programming

2-4 trees in C

i am trying to write a program in order to learn how to work with trees and especially 2-4 trees. the general idea is that each node is represented by 4 cells and 5 pointers? (maybe 2 arrays then? ) let's suppose that we insert simply int numbers in all cells. firstly we initialize the root... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Medium Changer not detected.

Hello Gurus, We are in the process of configuring SAN based backup for our DB hosted on Solaris 10 (SPARC and X86) Servers. But the Robotic arm (Medium Changer - HP) is not getting detected on the server. Need experts help in checking this from the host (Solaris Server) end. Thank You. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy very large directory trees

I have constant trouble with XCOPY/s for multi-gigabyte transfers. I need a utility like XCOPY/S that remembers where it left off if I reboot. Is there such a utility? How about a free utility (free as in free beer)? How about an md5sum sanity check too? I posted the above query in another... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
BACKUP(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 BACKUP(8)

NAME
backup - backup files SYNOPSIS
backup [-djmnorstvz] dir1 dir2 OPTIONS
-d At top level, only directories are backed up -j Do not copy junk: *.Z, *.bak, a.out, core, etc -m If device full, prompt for new diskette -n Do not backup top-level directories -o Do not copy *.o files -r Restore files -s Do not copy *.s files -t Preserve creation times -v Verbose; list files being backed up -z Compress the files on the backup medium EXAMPLES
backup -mz . /f0 # Backup current directory compressed backup /bin /usr/bin # Backup bin from RAM disk to hard disk DESCRIPTION
Backup (recursively) backs up the contents of a given directory and its subdirectories to another part of the file system. It has two typ- ical uses. First, some portion of the file system can be backed up onto 1 or more diskettes. When a diskette fills up, the user is prompted for a new one. The backups are in the form of mountable file systems. Second, a directory on RAM disk can be backed up onto hard disk. If the target directory is empty, the entire source directory is copied there, optionally compressed to save space. If the target directory is an old backup, only those files in the target directory that are older than similar names in the source directory are replaced. Backup uses times for this purpose, like make. Calling Backup as Restore is equivalent to using the -r option; this replaces newer files in the target directory with older files from the source directory, uncompressing them if necessary. The target directory con- tents are thus returned to some previous state. SEE ALSO
tar(1). BACKUP(8)