Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How zcat works?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How zcat works? Post 302750145 by pandeesh on Monday 31st of December 2012 03:52:09 AM
Old 12-31-2012
How zcat works?

Hi,

just i would like to know, how will be the response if you try to read a 40GB compressed file using zcat.
a)Uncompress the 40GB file and have it in the disk. use cat to view the steps.
b)Use zcat directly to view the compressed file?

What are the steps being occurred in step (b)?
Where does actual compression takes place?
Which one is the best way to handle this scenario?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zcat --> Arg list too long

Hi all I have more than 1000 files in a folder and when ever i use a "compress" or "zcat" command it give error /bin/zcat: Arg list too long. . any solution for this :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muneebr
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How ls | wc -l works?

ls displays files in tabbed output. Say a directory contains 3 files. ls will list all 3 in one line. So, I expect ls | wc -l to give 1, but it counts the nr of files and gives 3. Can someone explain how this works? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
3 Replies

3. Linux

zcat on Linux

Hi I am trying to extract a <filename>.tar.Z on a SLES machine using zcat. The command I am using is zcat <filename>.tar.Z | tar xf - When I use the above I get the following message tar: Read 7168 bytes from - I think the message is benign because I see that my files where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixmat1
2 Replies

4. Programming

how this works?

pls explain me how this works.... DECODE (SUBSTR (field, 1, 1),'''', '''''' || field || '''','''' || field || '''') here field is a column in an oracle table.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How this works?

I have a program............ #include<stdio.h> #include<unistd.h> main() { if(fork == 0) { printf("Hi every body:p!!!!!!!!!!"); } } This program works with out any error. here fork is not a system call. It just act as a variable.But how it works without declaring it? What data type it... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: carolsanjeevi
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

zcat two files

Hi, Like cat file1 file2 > file Can I do zcat file1.gz file2.gz > file.gz (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH ZCAT EGREP Shell Script

I created a backup script that emails all the admins when the backup is complete and attaches a log file of what what backed up. On occasion, something happens in which the backups stop working, I started "grep"ing around /var/log/syslog and I usually find the smoking gun. My goal is to zcat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk & zcat not working together

I have a tar file which i want to read and check some specific fields basis on which i want to get output. Code zcat samplefile.tar.gz | awk 'FNR==1 {++counter} counter ==2 {BB=1;next} substr($0,26,2) =="01") {next} (substr($0,28,12) ~ "^") {next} (substr($0,184,3) in BB) {next} 1 '... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[zcat] [gunzip -c] header

Hello, When i lauches this command ssh -n server_name gunzip -c "/REP/xxxx.gz" > server.logThere are a few stray characters like NULNULNULNUL100644 NUL000000NUL000000NUL00024002704 12135060747 012607NUL at the beginning of server.log. In the xxxx.gz there is a tar file I'm not sure but it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amazigh42
5 Replies

10. Solaris

ZCAT xxx.Z|tar -xvf - decompression slow ?

I have recently built a new server and patched Soalris 10 up tp latest bundle etc... When I run a decompress using the format zcat fred.Z |tar -xvf - it runs at a very slow rate. A similiar server which is less powerful runs over twice as quick. Is there any work arounds to configure decompress... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smcart
4 Replies
compress(1)						      General Commands Manual						       compress(1)

Name
       compress, uncompress, zcat - compress and expand data

Syntax
       compress [ -f ] [ -v ] [ -c ] [ -b bits ] [ name ...  ]
       uncompress [ -f ] [ -v ] [ -c ] [ name ...  ]
       zcat [ name ...	]

Description
       The  command reduces the size of the named files using adaptive Lempel-Ziv coding.  Whenever possible, each file is replaced by one
       with the extension .Z, while keeping the same ownership modes, access, and modification times.  If  no  files  are  specified,  the
       standard input is compressed to the standard output.  Compressed files can be restored to their original form using or

The  -f	option	will  force  compression  of  name, even if it does not actually shrink name, or if the corresponding name .Z file
       already exists.	If the -f option is omitted, the user is asked whether an existing name.Z file should be  overwritten  (unless	is
       run in the background under

The -c (cat) option makes compress/uncompress write to the standard output without changing any files.  Neither -c nor alter files.

The  command  uses  the modified Lempel-Ziv algorithm.  Common substrings in the file are first replaced by 9-bit codes 257 and up.
       When code 512 is reached, the algorithm switches to 10-bit codes and continues to use more bits until the limit specified by the -b
       flag is reached (default 16).  The bits must be between 9 and 16.  The default can be changed in the source to allow to be run on a
       smaller machine.

After the bits limit is attained, periodically checks the compression ratio.  If the ratio is  increasing,  continues  to  use  the
       existing  code  dictionary.   However,  if  the	compression ratio decreases, discards the table of substrings and rebuilds it from
       scratch.  This allows the algorithm to adapt to the next block of the file.

Note that the -b flag is omitted for since the bits parameter specified during compression is encoded within the output along  with
       a number that ensures that neither decompression of random data nor recompression of compressed data is attempted.

How much each file is compressed depends on the size of the input, the number of bits per code, and the distribution of common sub-
       strings.  Typically, text such as source code or English is reduced by 50-60%.  Compression is  generally  much	better	than  that
       achieved by Huffman coding or adaptive Huffman coding, and takes less time to compute.

The -v option displays the percent reduction of each file.

If  an  error  occurs,  exit  status is 1.  However, if the last file was not compressed because it became larger, the status is 2.
       Otherwise, the status is 0.

Options
       -f   Forces compression of name.

-c   Makes compress/uncompress write to the standard output.

-b   Specifies the allowable bits limit.  The default is 16.

-v   Displays the percent reduction of each file.

Diagnostics
       Usage: compress [-fvc] [-b maxbits] [file ...]
       Invalid options were specified on the command line.

Missing maxbits
       Maxbits must follow -b.

file: not in compressed format
       The file specified to uncompress has not been compressed.

file: compressed with xx bits, can only handle yy bits
       The file was compressed by a program that could deal with more bits than the compress code on this machine.   Recompress  the  file
       with smaller bits.

file: already has .Z suffix -- no change
       The file is assumed to be compressed already.  Rename the file and try again.

file already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)?
       Type y if you want the output file to be replaced; type n if you do not.

uncompress: corrupt input
       A SIGSEGV violation was detected which usually means that the input file is corrupted.

Compression: xx.xx%
       Percent of the input saved by compression.  (For the -v option only.)

-- not a regular file: unchanged
       If the input file is not a regular file (for example, a directory), it remains unchanged.

-- has xx other links: unchanged
       The input file has links; it is left unchanged.	See for more information.

-- file unchanged
       No savings is achieved by compression.  The input remains unchanged.

Restrictions
       Although compressed files are compatible between machines with large memory, -b12 should be used for file transfer to architectures
       with a small process data space (64KB or less).

RISC							       compress(1)