Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extracting data between specific lines, multiple times Post 302749903 by Don Cragun on Sunday 30th of December 2012 01:35:10 AM
Old 12-30-2012
If I understand the requirements correctly: print all lines between two lines that consist of exactly one space character followed by 83 hyphens if and only if the starting line of hyphens immediately follows a line starting with POSITION, and skip all other lines (including the hyphen lines and the POSITION line); the following awk script should do what you want:
Code:
awk '/^POSITION/ {
        dn = 1  # We expect a line of dashes next.
        next    # Skip to next line.
}
/^ -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------$/ {
        if(dn) {
                # This is a dashes line immediately after a POSITION line.
                dn = 0          # We are no longer looking for starting dashes.
                copy = 1        # Turn on copy mode.
        } else  copy = 0        # We found another line of dashes. Stop copying.
}       
dn {    dn = 0 # We expected a line of dashes but did not find it.  Reset.
}
copy {  print   # If we are in copy mode, print the line.
}' inputfile

If you are using a Solaris system, use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk or nawk instead of awk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to read data multiple times

I am developing a script to automate Global Mirroring on IBM DS8100's. Part of the process is to establish a global copy and wait until the paired LUN's Out of Sync tracks goes to zero. I can issue a command to display the ouput and am trying to use AWK to read the appropriate field. I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coachr
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to read data multiple times

I am developing a script to automate Global Mirroring on IBM DS8100's. Part of the process is to establish a global copy and wait until the paired LUN's Out of Sync tracks goes to zero. I can issue a command to display the ouput and am trying to use AWK to read the appropriate field. I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coachr
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text out of specific lines

Hi, I have a file like LAHORE 2009-04-16 16:04:19 THU S5830 FAULT MESSAGE SUPPRESS STATUS LOC : ASP00 STS : SUPPRESSING CONTINUE INF : F6201 TRUNK. DATA FAULT REPORT COMPLETED LAHORE 2009-04-16 16:04:20 THU S8400 ISUP SIGNALLING TRACE -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting specific lines from a file

hi all, i searched in unix.com and accquired the following commands for extracting specific lines from a file .. sed -n '16482,16482p' in.sql > out.sql awk 'NR>=10&&NR<=20' in.sql > out.sql.... these commands are working fine if i give the line numbers as such .. but if i pass a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting specific text from lines

Hello, i've got this output text: and i need it to look something like this: which means that there won't be absolute path of each directory, just it's size and the last word after last '/' in each line, and i also don't need last line '1.7M /tmp' Looks like there is a simple... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krater559
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific lines of data from a file and related lines of data based on a grep value range?

Hi, I have one file, say file 1, that has data like below where 19900107 is the date, 19900107 12 144 129 0.7380047 19900108 12 168 129 0.3149017 19900109 12 192 129 3.2766666E-02 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wynner
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering data -extracting specific lines

I have a table to data which one of the columns include string of text from within that, I am searching to include few lines but not others for example I want to to include some combination of word address such as (address.| address? |the address | your address) but not (ip address | email... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
17 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting specific lines from data file

Hello, Is there a quick awk one-liner for this extraction?: file1 49389 text55 52211 text66 file2 59302 text1 49389 text2 85939 text3 52211 text4 13948 text5 Desired output 49389 text2 52211 text4 Thanks!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from multiple lines

Hi All, I am stuck in one step.. I have one file named file.txt having content: And SGMT.perd_id = (SELECT cal.fiscal_perd_id FROM $ODS_TARGT.TIM_DT_CAL_D CAL FROM $ODS_TARGT.GL_COA_SEGMNT_XREF_A SGMT SGMT.COA_XREF_TYP_IDN In (SEL COA_XREF_TYP_IDN From... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi Gupta
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from specific rows and columns from multiple csv files

I have a series of csv files in the following format eg file1 Experiment Name,XYZ_07/28/15, Specimen Name,Specimen_001, Tube Name, Control, Record Date,7/28/2015 14:50, $OP,XYZYZ, GUID,abc, Population,#Events,%Parent All Events,10500, P1,10071,95.9 Early Apoptosis,1113,11.1 Late... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
6 Replies
CHING(6)							   Games Manual 							  CHING(6)

NAME
ching - the book of changes and other cookies SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/ching [ hexagram ] DESCRIPTION
The I Ching or Book of Changes is an ancient Chinese oracle that has been in use for centuries as a source of wisdom and advice. The text of the oracle (as it is sometimes known) consists of sixty-four hexagrams, each symbolized by a particular arrangement of six straight (---) and broken (- -) lines. These lines have values ranging from six through nine, with the even values indicating the broken lines. Each hexagram consists of two major sections. The Judgement relates specifically to the matter at hand (E.g., "It furthers one to have somewhere to go.") while the Image describes the general attributes of the hexagram and how they apply to one's own life ("Thus the supe- rior man makes himself strong and untiring."). When any of the lines have the values six or nine, they are moving lines; for each there is an appended judgement which becomes signifi- cant. Furthermore, the moving lines are inherently unstable and change into their opposites; a second hexagram (and thus an additional judgement) is formed. Normally, one consults the oracle by fixing the desired question firmly in mind and then casting a set of changes (lines) using yarrow-stalks or tossed coins. The resulting hexagram will be the answer to the question. Using an algorithm suggested by S. C. Johnson, the UNIX oracle simply reads a question from the standard input (up to an EOF) and hashes the individual characters in combination with the time of day, process id and any other magic numbers which happen to be lying around the system. The resulting value is used as the seed of a random number generator which drives a simulated coin-toss divination. The answer is then piped through nroff for formatting and will appear on the standard output. For those who wish to remain steadfast in the old traditions, the oracle will also accept the results of a personal divination using, for example, coins. To do this, cast the change and then type the resulting line values as an argument. The impatient modern may prefer to settle for Chinese cookies; try fortune(6). SEE ALSO
It furthers one to see the great man. DIAGNOSTICS
The great prince issues commands, Founds states, vests families with fiefs. Inferior people should not be employed. BUGS
Waiting in the mud Brings about the arrival of the enemy. If one is not extremely careful, Somebody may come up from behind and strike him. Misfortune. 7th Edition May 20, 1985 CHING(6)