Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Understanding regex behaviour when using quantifiers Post 302749725 by chidori on Saturday 29th of December 2012 05:36:38 AM
Old 12-29-2012
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
There even more interesting aspects to regular expressions.
Consider reading the 'owl' book: Mastering Regular Expressions 3rd Ed by J. Friedl
Thanks, I got one already. Guess its good time to start reading that Smilie

Thanks to all who for a brief explanation on this Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting perl regex to sed regex

I am having trouble parsing rpm filenames in a shell script.. I found a snippet of perl code that will perform the task but I really don't have time to rewrite the entire script in perl. I cannot for the life of me convert this code into something sed-friendly: if ($rpm =~ /(*)-(*)-(*)\.(.*)/)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suntzu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: "weird" regex behaviour

I have these two files in current dir: oos.txt oos_(copy).txt I execute this find command:find . -regex './oos*.txt'And this outputs only the first file (oos.txt)! :confused: Only if I add another asterisk to the find find . -regex './oos*.*txt' do I also get the second file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: courteous
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding a regex

Hi, Please help me to understand the bold segments in the below regex. Both are of same type whose meaning I am looking for. find . \( -iregex './\{6,10\}./src' \) -type d -maxdepth 2 Output: ./20111210.0/src In continuation to above: sed -e 's|./\(*.\{1,3\}\).*|\1|g' Output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help understanding regex with grep & sed

I have the following line of code that works wonders. I just don't completely understand it as I am just starting to learn regex. Can you help me understand exactly what is happening here? find . -type f | grep -v '^\.$' | sed 's!\.\/!!' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trogdortheburni
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Quick help on Understanding sed Regex

Hi Guys, Could you please kindly explain what exactly the below SED command will do ? I am quite confused and i assumed that, sed 's/*$/ /' 1. It will remove tab and extra spaces .. with single space. The issue is if it is removing tab then it should be Î right .. please assist.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl, RegEx - Help me to understand the regex!

I am not a big expert in regex and have just little understanding of that language. Could you help me to understand the regular Perl expression: ^(?!if\b|else\b|while\b|)(?:+?\s+){1,6}(+\s*)\(*\) *?(?:^*;?+){0,10}\{ ------ This is regex to select functions from a C/C++ source and defined in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help understanding this Regex.

Hi everyone, This regex looks simple and yet it doesn't make sense how it's manipulating the output. ifconfig -a eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0c:49:c2:35:6v inet addr:192.16.1.1 Bcast:192.168.226.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xcod3r
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail K command regex: adding exclusion/negative lookahead to regex -a@MATCH

I'm trying to get some exclusions into our sendmail regular expression for the K command. The following configuration & regex works: LOCAL_CONFIG # Kcheckaddress regex -a@MATCH +<@+?\.++?\.(us|info|to|br|bid|cn|ru) LOCAL_RULESETS SLocal_check_mail # check address against various regex... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobbieTheK
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with understanding this regex in a Perl script parsing a 'complex' string

Hi, I need some guidance with understanding this Perl script below. I am not the author of the script and the author has not leave any documentation. I supposed it is meant to be 'easy' if you're a Perl or regex guru. I am having problem understanding what regex to use :confused: The script does... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

10. Programming

Regarding a GREAT site for understanding and Visualizing regex patterns.

Hello All, While googling on regex I came across a site named Regulex Regulex:JavaScript Regular Expression Visualizer I have written a simple regex ^(a|b|c)(*)@(.*) and could see its visualization; one could export it too, following is the screen shot. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
3 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)