Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris System is stuck at the OK prompt Post 302749367 by bluridge on Friday 28th of December 2012 06:37:16 AM
Old 12-28-2012
Thanks for the help! I have thought about the boot block maybe not being installed on the second drive. I thought with mirroring the boot block would be on the second drive because after all the root drive has the boot block installed so this would be replicated over to the second mirrored disk. I did not want to make it worse by running the installboot command. Also with the error messages showing /etc/inittab truncated or corrupted...this does not sound like a boot block issue?

The last file executed before the system boots up is /etc/inittab so does that mean the boot block was successfully executed if I coem to the ok prompt?

I am stil not able to figure out why we are getting this error on the /etc/inittab execution. If you have any ideas please throw them out!

I am trying to locate a Solaris 8 boot cdrom and try to boot in single user mode and copy over the default /etc/inittab file and see if this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wiping system from ok prompt

So last week I posted about my system that will not completely boot. It reports a bad trap and reboots in an endless cycle. I'm at a point where I just want to wipe the system clean, reload the software and basically start from scratch. I can interrupt the boot cycle and get to an ok prompt.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forbin24
2 Replies

2. Solaris

system get stuck on stand by mode

Hi Im using a Sun blade 1500 with solaris 8 and when the monitor goes to stand by mode, the machine doesnt return to the normal mode anymore. Then i have to reboot it always. Does anybody have a clue how can i solve it or turn off the stand by mode? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dougpss
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Specs in OK Prompt

Hello to all! In the OK prompt, which command should I use to see RAM memory, CPU, and disks partition and capacity? I have in my hands an ancient Ultra5 machine, which Im trying to install Solaris, but don't know if the configuration is the original one. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_BR
4 Replies

4. Programming

I'm stuck :(

Suppose that I have some data: 12,30 12,45 2,3 7,8 3,9 30, 8 45,54 56,65 Where (a,b) indicates that a is connected to b. I want to get all connected nodes to one point. For instance, the output of the above example should be something like: Group 1 2,3 3,9 Group 2 12,30 12,45... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
4 Replies

5. Solaris

system won't start to GUI it stuck

Hi. I got this message in our sun station and it stuck Setting default IPv4 interface for multicast: add net 224.0/4: gateway pecsun22 but i can still telenet the station... who could i fix this.. appreciate your help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
7 Replies

6. Solaris

How to change the system prompt and BG of terminal?

Hi all, I was wondering how to change the PS1 to my liking? I tried changing it using PS1='my choice' it worked but the subsequent terminals i open will not have it as the default PS1 ,how do i change it? also i am running as super user, and i need to exec bash, to get the bash environment...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Can't bring E25K system controller to OK prompt

Hi, Due to some changes at our company, we lost the password for the root and sms-svc account on the primary system controller (E25K). We connected a serial console to the system controller but we never managed to break the session to bring it to the OK prompt. (tried: ~#, ~ b, ~, , a b,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solarius
9 Replies

8. Solaris

System stuck up in maintanence mode

Hi All, I got a big problem here. While setting up a sun cluster, I accidentally tried out "bootadm update-archive" as I was unable to bring the cluster up. After which, i tried a reconfiguration reboot. Now The system is always booting into maintanence mode with error message... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manojsomanath
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX?

how to Change the % prompt to - prompt in unix :wall: ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 AM ---------- How To display the last modification time of any file in unix ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:40 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjiri sawant
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies
vxpfto(1M)																vxpfto(1M)

NAME
vxpfto - set Powerfail Timeout (pfto) SYNOPSIS
vxpfto -g diskgroup -t timeout vxpfto [-g diskgroup] -t timeout volume_list vxpfto [-g diskgroup] -o pftostate={enabled|disabled} vxpfto [-g diskgroup] -o pftostate={enabled|disabled} volume_list DESCRIPTION
Powerfail Timeout is an attribute of a SCSI disk connected to an HP-UX host (see the pfto(7) man page). The vxpfto command sets the Power- fail Timeout interval on a set of Volume Manager disks, either all disks in a disk group, or all disks underlying the volumes listed. The first form of the command sets the same PFTO value for all the disks in the specified VxVM diskgroup. In the second form, all disks underlying the given list of volumes are selected, optionally restricted by the disk group specified with the -g option. If you specify a diskgroup, any volume in the list not belonging to the diskgroup is ignored. Use the -o pftostate option to disable or enable PFTO. By default, PFTO is enabled. You can enable PFTO either on all disks in a disk group, or on all disks underlying the volumes listed. If you invoke vxpfto without arguments, it displays a usage message. OPTIONS
-g diskgroup Specifies the disk group for the operation, either by disk group ID or by disk group name. -o pftostate={enabled|disabled} Enables or disables the use of PFTO for IO. -t timeout Specifies the PFTO value in seconds. The value must be zero or a positive integer. Zero represents the system default PFTO value. The default value depends on the disk driver controlling the disk device. volume_list A list of VxVM volume names. List items must be separated by white-space. EXIT CODES
vxpfto returns a zero if successful. If it encounters an error, vxpfto exits and displays a message on standard error. Defined exit codes are: 0 Success. 1 No PFTO value specified. 2 No diskgroup or volume list specified. 3 Illegal PFTO value specified. EXAMPLES
Set the PFTO value on all disks in disk group testdg to 100 seconds: vxpfto -t 100 -g testdg Set the PFTO value to 50 seconds on all disks underlying volume01 and volume02 in disk group testdg: vxpfto -t 50 -g testdg volume01 volume02 Set the PFTO value to 300 seconds on all disks underlying volume01 and volume02, even though they are not in the same disk group: vxpfto -t 300 volume01 volume02 Disable PFTO on all disks in disk group testdg: vxpfto -g testdg -o pftostate=disabled Enable PFTO on all disks underlying volume01 and volume02i in disk group testdg: vxpfto -g testdg -o pftostate=enabled volume01 volume02 SEE ALSO
vxdisk(1M), pfto(7) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxpfto(1M)