Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ShellScript to Remove Newline in ouput.csv Post 302748991 by Jotne on Thursday 27th of December 2012 08:57:50 AM
Old 12-27-2012
Problem with solution in post #2 and #3 is that it does not stop.
If there are more words following, it will be printed on the same line.
So you need some type of record separator.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove all tabs and newline (\n)

how to remove all tabs and newline (\n) from the exicting file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvr_satya
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove newline character conditionally

Hi All, I have 5000 records like this Request_id|Type|Status|Priority|Ticket Submitted Date and Time|Actual Resolved Date and Time|Current Ticket Owner Group|Case final Ticket Owner Group|Customer Severity|Reported Symptom/Request|Component|Hot Topic|Reason for Missed SLA|Current Ticket... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_53933
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk remove newline

Hi, I have input file contains sql queries i need to eliminate newlines from it. when i open it vi text editor and runs :%s/'\n/'/g it provides required result. but when i run sed command from shell prompt it doesn't impact outfile is still same as inputfile. shell] sed -e... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirfan
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove newline between two string with sed command in unix shellscript

I have a file (test.dat) which contains data like this 459|199811047|a |b |shan kar|ooty| 460|199811047|a |bv |gur u|cbe| but I need it like: 459|199811047|a |b |shankar|ooty| 460|199811047|a |b |guru|cbe| While reading the data from this file, I don't want to remove newline from the end of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcrshankar
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create an .csv/excel file using shellscript

In my file, i have 4 Product names(For ex:Microsoft excel, Oracle,.Net,IBM websphere,..etc.,) I want this 4 Products in 4 individual .csv/excel file after running the script with those products related information. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navya
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove ] followed by newline in bash

I need to remove ] followed by newline character to convert lines like: line1] line2 into: line1line2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove newline character between two delimiters

hi i am having delimited .dat file having content like below. test.dat(5 line of records) ====== PT2~Stag~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~~UNCEF R20~~2012-05-24 ~2014-05-24~~ PT2~Stag y~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~METR~~~2012-05-24~2014-05-24~~test PT2~Pt2 Stag Test~~PT2 S... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushine11
4 Replies

8. Linux

Remove newline in middle of string

my file input is with tab as delimiter, and in every line, there would be a skip of line with an unexcepted newline breaker. I'd like to remove this \n and put the information in the same line. INPUT a1 b1b2 c1 c2 d1 a2 b3 c3 d4 OUTPUT a1 b1b2 c1c2 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinkichin
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last newline character..

Hi all.. I have a text file which looks like below: abcd efgh ijkl (blank space) I need to remove only the last (blank space) from the file. When I try wc -l the file name,the number of lines coming is 3 only, however blank space is there in the file. I have tried options like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathya83aa
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shellscript command to remove files starting with a certain string, and older than 3 days

Hi All, Need help in identifying a shellscript command to remove all files on a server directory, starting with a certain prefix and also older than 3 days. That means files created with that prefix, today or yesterday, shouldn't be removed. Thanks, Dev (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
3 Replies
RLAM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   RLAM(1)

NAME
rlam - laminate records from multiple files SYNOPSIS
rlam [ -tS ][ -u ][ -iaN | -ifN | -idN | -iiN | -iwN | -ibN ] input1 input2 .. DESCRIPTION
Rlam simply joins records (or lines) from multiple inputs, separating them with the given string (TAB by default). Different separators may be given for different files by specifying additional -t options in between each file name. Note that there is no space between this option and its argument. If none of the input files uses an ASCII separator, then no end-of-line character will be printed, either. An input is either a stream or a command. Commands are given in quotes, and begin with an exclamantion point ('!'). If the inputs do not have the same number of lines, then shorter files will stop contributing to the output as they run out. The -ia option may be used to specify ASCII input (the default), or the -if option may be used to indicated binary IEEE 32-bit floats on input. Similarly, the -id and -ii options may be used to indicate binary 64-bit doubles or integer words, respectively. The -iw option specifies 2-byte short words, and the -ib option specifies bytes. If a number is immediately follows any of these options, then it indi- cates that multiple such values are expected for each record. For example, -if3 indicates three floats per input record for the next named input. In the case of the -ia option, no number indicates one line per input record, and numbers greater than zero indicate that many characters exactly per record. For binary input formts, no number implies one value per record. For anything other than EOL-separated input, the default tab separator is reset to the empty string. A hyphen ('-') by itself can be used to indicate the standard input, and may appear multiple times. The -u option forces output after each record (i.e., one run through inputs). EXAMPLE
To join files output1 and output2, separated by a comma: rlam -t, output1 output2 To join a file with line numbers (starting at 0) and its reverse: cnt `wc -l < lam.c` | rlam - -t: lam.c -t '!tail -r lam.c' To join four data files, each having three doubles per record: rlam -id3 file1.dbl file2.dbl file3.dbl file4.dbl > combined.dbl AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), histo(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), tabfunc(1), total(1) RADIANCE
7/8/97 RLAM(1)