Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Paste command formatting
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Paste command formatting Post 302748535 by rangarasan on Wednesday 26th of December 2012 06:06:45 AM
Old 12-26-2012
paste

Hi,

Just give your all file names in one instance,

Code:
paste -d"%" file1 file2 file3 file4

Cheers,
RangaSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

paste command

I wonder if any body can help me with a command i am struggling with. I have a file with around 400 lines in, in a program i have it pulls out each line at a time so that data from the line can be cross referenced with another file. If it finds a match it pulls out a ocde from the second file, this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariner
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on Paste command

Hello everyone, This is Rameshreddy. I like this forum and its nice to share everyone's experience here and one can learn a lot from here. Appreciate the moderators especially. Coming to my question i have 2 files and i want to paste them with specific number of tabs as delimiters... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mudhireddy
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste command issue

Problem with Paste command :) Hi All, i need small suggestion in my below script... i have output in .txt format like below file1.txt 01111111 02222222 03333333 file2.txt 230125 000012 000002 now i want to merge both the file in xls or csv formate now i am using the below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

command paste with variables

Hi. I have an interesting problem and i couldn't find out the solution. I have two variables in which there are a lot of lines finished by \n. I would like to concatenate this two variables into one in this format: var1var2 var1var2 . . . I could do this simply by command paste but it works... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: samos
32 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

paste command

input1 15 150 input2 x 10 100 input3 y 20 200 z 34 44 cmd paste -d "\t" input1 input2 input3 >>output output (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: repinementer
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with using cut and paste command

I have a file which contains 3 fields separated by tabs example andrew kid baker I need to swap kid and baker using cut and paste commands how is this to be done? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drew211
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with cut and paste command

I have a file which contains 3 fields separated by tabs example andrew kid baker I need to swap kid and baker using cut and paste commands how is this to be done? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't paste in command line.

Hello. I've made a simple script which asks the user to input a hash and then runs a command that replaces the variable $hash with what the user inserted. The ting is that when the programm asks for input I can't paste anything there..! any clues?? :wall: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: louboulos
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste command - question

Hi, Below file content is output from pasting two files. Now, i want to output another file which just contains the difference on any line For example: JAY,2,,3,5,B+,JAY,2,,3,5,B+ ANN,5,,5,1,C,ANN,5,,5,2,C Line JAY seems to have no difference. However, line ANN has difference in on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with paste command using variables

How can I accomplish this? I basically want to merge two variables onto the same line. I can do it with two FILES this way: $ cat /tmp/users_in.list | awk -F "," '{print $2}' | cut -c -1 > first.initial $ awk -F "," '{print $1}' /tmp/users_in.list | awk '{print $1}' > last.name $ paste... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenlightening
5 Replies
LAM(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    LAM(1)

NAME
lam -- laminate files SYNOPSIS
lam [-f min.max] [-s sepstring] [-t c] file ... lam [-p min.max] [-s sepstring] [-t c] file ... DESCRIPTION
The lam utility copies the named files side by side onto the standard output. The n-th input lines from the input files are considered frag- ments of the single long n-th output line into which they are assembled. The name `-' means the standard input, and may be repeated. Normally, each option affects only the file after it. If the option letter is capitalized it affects all subsequent files until it appears again uncapitalized. The options are described below: -f min.max Print line fragments according to the format string min.max, where min is the minimum field width and max the maximum field width. If min begins with a zero, zeros will be added to make up the field width, and if it begins with a `-', the fragment will be left- adjusted within the field. -p min.max Like -f, but pad this file's field when end-of-file is reached and other files are still active. -s sepstring Print sepstring before printing line fragments from the next file. This option may appear after the last file. -t c The input line terminator is c instead of a newline. The newline normally appended to each output line is omitted. To print files simultaneously for easy viewing use pr(1). EXAMPLES
The command lam file1 file2 file3 file4 joins 4 files together along each line. To merge the lines from four different files use lam file1 -S " " file2 file3 file4 Every 2 lines of a file may be joined on one line with lam - - < file and a form letter with substitutions keyed by `@' can be done with lam -t @ letter changes SEE ALSO
join(1), paste(1), pr(1), printf(3) STANDARDS
Some of the functionality of lam is standardized as the paste(1) utility by IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
The lam utility first appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
The lam utility does not recognize multibyte characters. BSD
August 12, 2004 BSD