Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Paste command formatting
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Paste command formatting Post 302748523 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 26th of December 2012 05:30:49 AM
Old 12-26-2012
There should be only to 2 percent signs on the 3rd row, the extra % sign on the two rows above are part of the input file (they stem from a previous paste operation...)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

paste command

I wonder if any body can help me with a command i am struggling with. I have a file with around 400 lines in, in a program i have it pulls out each line at a time so that data from the line can be cross referenced with another file. If it finds a match it pulls out a ocde from the second file, this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariner
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on Paste command

Hello everyone, This is Rameshreddy. I like this forum and its nice to share everyone's experience here and one can learn a lot from here. Appreciate the moderators especially. Coming to my question i have 2 files and i want to paste them with specific number of tabs as delimiters... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mudhireddy
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste command issue

Problem with Paste command :) Hi All, i need small suggestion in my below script... i have output in .txt format like below file1.txt 01111111 02222222 03333333 file2.txt 230125 000012 000002 now i want to merge both the file in xls or csv formate now i am using the below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

command paste with variables

Hi. I have an interesting problem and i couldn't find out the solution. I have two variables in which there are a lot of lines finished by \n. I would like to concatenate this two variables into one in this format: var1var2 var1var2 . . . I could do this simply by command paste but it works... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: samos
32 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

paste command

input1 15 150 input2 x 10 100 input3 y 20 200 z 34 44 cmd paste -d "\t" input1 input2 input3 >>output output (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: repinementer
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with using cut and paste command

I have a file which contains 3 fields separated by tabs example andrew kid baker I need to swap kid and baker using cut and paste commands how is this to be done? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drew211
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with cut and paste command

I have a file which contains 3 fields separated by tabs example andrew kid baker I need to swap kid and baker using cut and paste commands how is this to be done? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't paste in command line.

Hello. I've made a simple script which asks the user to input a hash and then runs a command that replaces the variable $hash with what the user inserted. The ting is that when the programm asks for input I can't paste anything there..! any clues?? :wall: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: louboulos
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste command - question

Hi, Below file content is output from pasting two files. Now, i want to output another file which just contains the difference on any line For example: JAY,2,,3,5,B+,JAY,2,,3,5,B+ ANN,5,,5,1,C,ANN,5,,5,2,C Line JAY seems to have no difference. However, line ANN has difference in on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with paste command using variables

How can I accomplish this? I basically want to merge two variables onto the same line. I can do it with two FILES this way: $ cat /tmp/users_in.list | awk -F "," '{print $2}' | cut -c -1 > first.initial $ awk -F "," '{print $1}' /tmp/users_in.list | awk '{print $1}' > last.name $ paste... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenlightening
5 Replies
funtablerowput(3)						SAORD Documentation						 funtablerowput(3)

NAME
FunTableRowPut - put Funtools rows SYNOPSIS
int FunTableRowPut(Fun fun, void *rows, int nev, int idx, char *plist) DESCRIPTION
The FunTableRowPut() routine writes rows to a FITS binary table, taking its input from an array of user structs that contain column values selected by a previous call to FunColumnSelect(). Selected column values are automatically converted from native data format to FITS data format as necessary. The first argument is the Fun handle associated with this row data. The second rows argument is the array of user structs to output. The third nrow argument specifies the number number of rows to write. The routine will write nrow records, starting from the location speci- fied by rows. The fourth idx argument is the index of the first raw input row to write, in the case where rows from the user buffer are being merged with their raw input row counterparts (see below). Note that this idx value is has nothing to do with the row buffer specified in argument 1. It merely matches the row being written with its corresponding (hidden) raw row. Thus, if you read a number of rows, process them, and then write them out all at once starting from the first user row, the value of idx should be 0: Ev ebuf, ev; /* get rows -- let routine allocate the row array */ while( (ebuf = (Ev)FunTableRowGet(fun, NULL, MAXROW, NULL, &got)) ){ /* process all rows */ for(i=0; i<got; i++){ /* point to the i'th row */ ev = ebuf+i; ... } /* write out this batch of rows, starting with the first */ FunTableRowPut(fun2, (char *)ebuf, got, 0, NULL); /* free row data */ if( ebuf ) free(ebuf); } On the other hand, if you write out the rows one at a time (possibly skipping rows), then, when writing the i'th row from the input array of rows, set idx to the value of i: Ev ebuf, ev; /* get rows -- let routine allocate the row array */ while( (ebuf = (Ev)FunTableRowGet(fun, NULL, MAXROW, NULL, &got)) ){ /* process all rows */ for(i=0; i<got; i++){ /* point to the i'th row */ ev = ebuf+i; ... /* write out the current (i.e., i'th) row */ FunTableRowPut(fun2, (char *)ev, 1, i, NULL); } /* free row data */ if( ebuf ) free(ebuf); } The final argument is a param list string that is not currently used. The routine returns the number of rows output. This should be equal to the value passed in the third nrow</B argument. When FunTableRowPut() is first called for a given binary table, Funtools checks to see of the primary header has already been written (either by writing a previous row table or by writing an image.) If not, a dummy primary header is written to the file specifying that an extension should be expected. After this, a binary table header is automatically written containing information about the columns that will populate this table. In addition, if a Funtools reference handle was specified when this table was opened, the parameters from this Funtools reference handle are merged into the new binary table header. In a typical Funtools row loop, you read rows using FunTableRowGet()() and write rows using FunTableRowPut(). The columns written by FunT- ableRowPut()() are those defined as writable by a previous call to FunColumnSelect(). If that call to FunColumnSelect also specified merge=[update|replace|append], then the entire corresponding raw input row record will be merged with the output row according to the merge specification (see FunColumnSelect() above). A call to write rows can either be done once, after all rows in the input batch have been processed, or it can be done (slightly less effi- ciently) one row at a time (or anything in between). We do recommend that you write all rows associated with a given batch of input rows before reading new rows. This is required if you are merging the output rows with the raw input rows (since the raw rows are destroyed with each successive call to get new rows). For example: Ev buf, ev; ... /* get rows -- let routine allocate the row array */ while( (buf = (Ev)FunTableRowGet(fun, NULL, MAXROW, NULL, &got)) ){ /* point to the i'th row */ ev = buf + i; .... process } /* write out this batch of rows */ FunTableRowPut(fun2, buf, got, 0, NULL); /* free row data */ if( buf ) free(buf); } or Ev buf, ev; ... /* get rows -- let routine allocate the row array */ while( (buf = (Ev)FunTableRowGet(fun, NULL, MAXROW, NULL, &got)) ){ /* process all rows */ for(i=0; i<got; i++){ /* point to the i'th row */ ev = buf + i; ... process /* write out this batch of rows with the new column */ if( dowrite ) FunTableRowPut(fun2, buf, 1, i, NULL); } /* free row data */ if( buf ) free(buf); } Note that the difference between these calls is that the first one outputs got rows all at once and therefore passes idx=0 in argument four, so that merging starts at the first raw input row. In the second case, a check it made on each row to see if it needs to be output. If so, the value of idx is passed as the value of the i variable which points to the current row being processed in the batch of input rows. As shown above, successive calls to FunTableRowPut() will write rows sequentially. When you are finished writing all rows in a table, you should call FunFlush() to write out the FITS binary table padding. However, this is not necessary if you subsequently call FunClose() with- out doing any other I/O to the FITS file. Note that FunTableRowPut() also can be called as FunEventsPut(), for backward compatibility. SEE ALSO
See funtools(7) for a list of Funtools help pages version 1.4.2 January 2, 2008 funtablerowput(3)