Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers To get the invalid characters from a file Post 302747617 by schandru on Friday 21st of December 2012 10:00:05 PM
Old 12-21-2012
Thanks Ranga..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invalid Characters in the file.

I am working on AIX. We ftp files to a database. The flat files are having thousands of records and each record is having some 50 to 60 characters(there are fields having certain character length). In addition to some valid ascii characters some invalid characters like Å, å, Ä, ä or pipes creep in which... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Invalid Characters in the file.

I am working on AIX. We ftp files to a database. The flat files are having thousands of records and each record is having some 50 to 60 characters(there are fields having certain character length). In addition to some valid ascii characters some invalid characters like Å, å, Ä, ä or pipes creep in which... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
15 Replies

3. Programming

string with invalid characters

This is a pretty straight-forward question. Within a program of mine, I have a string that's going to be used as a filename, but it might have some invalid characters in it that wouldn't be valid in a filename. If there are any invalid characters, I want to get rid of them and essentially squeeze... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleopard
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing shell script to find line of invalid characters

Hi, I have to write s script to check an input file for invalid characters. In this script I have to find the exact line of the invalid character. If the input file contain 2 invalid character sat line 10 and 17, the script will show the value 10 and 17. Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner82
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to delete an invalid file

there is a file is generated from my program due to undefined filename. -rw-r--r-- 1 angie angie 8644055 Jun 22 09:17 Ô$ÿÿÿÿÿÆ may i know how to delete this file..??? thanks in advance... :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chxxangie
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the invalid records to error file

HI, I have a source file which has the below data. Tableid,table.txt sourceid,1,2,3,4,5,6 targetid,1,2,3,4,5,6 Tableid,table sourceid,1,2,3,4,5,6 targetid,1,2,3,4,5,6 Tableid,table.txt sourceid,1,2,3,4,5,6 targetid,1,2,3,4,5,6 Tableid,table sourceid,1,2,3,4,5,6 targetid,1,2,3,4,5,6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove invalid database characters on a file

Hi All - I'm building a script wherein it is design to remove characters that are not accepted on a non-unicode database. Examples are the following: ï,¿,½,Â,é, etc. I can easily sed those characters one-by-one but I there's a problem when other unicode characters are found. Is there any way to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jin_
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Valid and invalid date in the file

Hi All, How to validate the 4th column,it is date column in the file, if it valid move to valid file else moved invalid file. 9f680174-cb87|20077337254|0|20120511|N 9f680174-cb88|20077337254|0|20120534|N i want two file valid.txt and invalid.txt Thanks, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the Invalid records from a file using awk?

My Input file is fixed length record ends with . as end of the line and the character length is 4156 Example: 12234XYZ TY^4253$+00000-00000........... I need to check is there any control characters(like ^M,^Z) The line will be splitted awk '{id=substr($0,1,5) nm=substr($0,6,3)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for the invalid url in a file

Hello guys, Here i am writing a script to check for a valid url from a file,i am getting the valid url & i print it in a file and i want to print the invalid url also.how to do that? #here is my script if then URL=$(grep -E -o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
2 Replies
XMLSTARLET(1)                                                    xmlstarlet Manual                                                   XMLSTARLET(1)

NAME
xmlstarlet - command line XML/XSLT toolkit SYNOPSIS
xmlstarlet [<options>] [<command>] [<cmd-options>] INTRODUCTION
XMLStarlet is a set of command line utilities (tools) which can be used to transform, query, validate, and edit XML documents and files us- ing simple set of shell commands in similar way it is done for plain text files using UNIX grep, sed, awk, diff, patch, join, etc commands. This set of command line utilities can be used by those who deal with many XML documents on UNIX shell command prompt as well as for auto- mated XML processing with shell scripts. OPTIONS
--version Display the version of xmlstarlet. --help Display help. COMMANDS
Type: xmlstarlet <command> --help <ENTER> for command help Available commands include: ed (or edit) Edit/update XML document(s). sel (or select) Select data or query XML document(s) (XPATH, etc). tr (or transform) Transform XML documents(s) using XSLT. val (or validate) Validate XML document(s) (well-formed/DTD/XSD/RelaxNG). fo (or format) Format XML document(s). el (or elements) Display element structure of XML document. c14n (or canonic) XML canonicalization. ls (or list) List directory as XML. esc (or escape) Escape special XML characters. unesc (or unescape) Unescape special XML characters. pyx (or xmln) Convert XML into PYX format (based on ESIS - ISO 8879). p2x (or depyx) Convert PYX into XML. REFERENCES
XMLStarlet is a command line toolkit to query/edit/check/transform XML documents (for more information see http://xmlstar.source- forge.net/). AUTHOR
Mikhail Grushinskiy. XMLSTARLET(1)