Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris System is stuck at the OK prompt Post 302747533 by DGPickett on Friday 21st of December 2012 02:20:59 PM
Old 12-21-2012

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wiping system from ok prompt

So last week I posted about my system that will not completely boot. It reports a bad trap and reboots in an endless cycle. I'm at a point where I just want to wipe the system clean, reload the software and basically start from scratch. I can interrupt the boot cycle and get to an ok prompt.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forbin24
2 Replies

2. Solaris

system get stuck on stand by mode

Hi Im using a Sun blade 1500 with solaris 8 and when the monitor goes to stand by mode, the machine doesnt return to the normal mode anymore. Then i have to reboot it always. Does anybody have a clue how can i solve it or turn off the stand by mode? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dougpss
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Specs in OK Prompt

Hello to all! In the OK prompt, which command should I use to see RAM memory, CPU, and disks partition and capacity? I have in my hands an ancient Ultra5 machine, which Im trying to install Solaris, but don't know if the configuration is the original one. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_BR
4 Replies

4. Programming

I'm stuck :(

Suppose that I have some data: 12,30 12,45 2,3 7,8 3,9 30, 8 45,54 56,65 Where (a,b) indicates that a is connected to b. I want to get all connected nodes to one point. For instance, the output of the above example should be something like: Group 1 2,3 3,9 Group 2 12,30 12,45... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
4 Replies

5. Solaris

system won't start to GUI it stuck

Hi. I got this message in our sun station and it stuck Setting default IPv4 interface for multicast: add net 224.0/4: gateway pecsun22 but i can still telenet the station... who could i fix this.. appreciate your help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
7 Replies

6. Solaris

How to change the system prompt and BG of terminal?

Hi all, I was wondering how to change the PS1 to my liking? I tried changing it using PS1='my choice' it worked but the subsequent terminals i open will not have it as the default PS1 ,how do i change it? also i am running as super user, and i need to exec bash, to get the bash environment...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Can't bring E25K system controller to OK prompt

Hi, Due to some changes at our company, we lost the password for the root and sms-svc account on the primary system controller (E25K). We connected a serial console to the system controller but we never managed to break the session to bring it to the OK prompt. (tried: ~#, ~ b, ~, , a b,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solarius
9 Replies

8. Solaris

System stuck up in maintanence mode

Hi All, I got a big problem here. While setting up a sun cluster, I accidentally tried out "bootadm update-archive" as I was unable to bring the cluster up. After which, i tried a reconfiguration reboot. Now The system is always booting into maintanence mode with error message... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manojsomanath
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX?

how to Change the % prompt to - prompt in unix :wall: ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 AM ---------- How To display the last modification time of any file in unix ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:40 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjiri sawant
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies
voldiskadm(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     voldiskadm(8)

NAME
voldiskadm - Menu interface for LSM disk administration SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/voldiskadm DESCRIPTION
The voldiskadm script is an interactive tool that presents a menu of possible operations to the user. When an operation is selected, the script guides the user through the necessary steps, and prompts for data needed to complete the operation. The voldiskadm interface is intended mainly for beginning users and for those who prefer a simple method for doing common operations. The interface uses query-based prompts to gather input, with defaults supplied when possible. Context-sensitive help is available at every prompt by typing ?. Also, a list option can be used to get information on available target disks for an operation. For operations that require a device name, one or more names can be specified using a space-separated list. Names in the list can have the form dskn or rdskn (for an entire disk) or dsknp or rdsknp (for a specific disk partition). Disk names relate directly to device names in the /dev/disk and /dev/rdisk directories. The file, /etc/vol/disks.exclude, may be used to exclude disks from use by voldiskadm. Each line of the file specifies the name of a disk to exclude (for example, dsk5). The voldiskadm menu includes the following options: Add or initialize one or more disks This option prompts for one or more disk device addresses. The specified disks can be added to an existing disk group, added to a new disk group, added to a disk group as spares, or initialized but not added to a disk group (reserved for use as replacement disks). After specifying the disks, the user is prompted for a disk group (rootdg by default) and a disk name. If no name is specified, a default disk name is assigned (diskn for disks in the rootdg disk group and diskgroupn for disks in other disk groups). The disks are then checked to ensure that there is no information already on them. If there is, the user is given the option of encapsulating the disks. Encapsulate one or more disks This option prompts for one or more disk addresses. It then calls volencap to encapsulate the specified partitions. Remove a disk This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. The disk is checked to ensure that no subdisks reside on the disk. If the disk is in use, the operation fails with a recommendation to first move all volumes off the disk. If this disk is the last disk in a disk group, the user is prompted for whether the disk group should be removed from the system, as well. The operation proceeds by calling voldg rmdisk to remove the disk from its disk group. If this is the last disk in its disk group, voldg deport is used, instead, to remove the disk group from use. Remove a disk for replacement This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. The disk is checked for volumes that would lose all mirrors as a result of the operation. If such volumes exist, they are listed and the user is prompted to ensure that the operation should proceed. The operation proceeds by calling voldg -k rmdisk to dissociate the media record from the physical disk. If some formatted disks are under LSM control but not assigned to a disk group, the user is prompted for whether one of these disks should be used as a replacement. Replace a failed or removed disk This option prompts for a disk media name. The named media record must be dissociated from a disk. If the media record is not in the removed state, unused disks are scanned for matching disk IDs. If a disk with a matching disk ID is found, the user is prompted for whether that disk should be reattached. If a matching disk is not used, the user is prompted for a new disk, by device name. If the named replacement disk has a valid disk header, but is not allocated to a disk group, the user is prompted for whether the disk should be reinitialized. If the named replacement disk is listed as allocated to a disk group or to another host, the user is prompted to ensure that the operation should proceed. If the device is to be initialized, a new disk label is written to the disk to reflect its private and public regions. Given an initialized disk, the operation proceeds by replacing the disk in a disk group with voldg -k adddisk. Mirror volumes on a disk This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. It then prompts for a destination disk within the same disk group, also by disk media name. Specifying no destination disks indicates that any disk is suitable. The operation proceeds by calling volmirror to mirror the volumes. Mirroring volumes from the boot disk will produce a disk that can be used as an alternate boot disk. This is done by calling the volrootmir command. Move volumes from a disk This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. It then prompts for a possible list of destination disks, also by disk media name. Specifying no destination disks indicates that any disk is suitable. The operation proceeds by calling volevac to move sub- disks off the disk. Enable access to (import) a disk group This option prompts for a disk, by device address. The operation proceeds by calling voldg import to import the disk group stored on that disk. Disable access to (deport) a disk group This option prompts for a disk group name. The prompt display lists alternate disk groups and the disks (media name and access name) that they contain. The operation proceeds by calling voldg deport. Enable (online) a disk device This option prompts for a disk device. The prompt display allows for a display of disks on the system. The operation only func- tions for disks currently in an offline state. It then proceeds to make the disk accessible. Disable (offline) a disk device This option prompts for a disk device. The prompt display allows for a display of disks on the system. The operation only func- tions for disks currently in an online state but not part of any disk group. It then proceeds to mark the disk as offline such that the Logical Storage Manager makes no further attempt at accessing the disk. Mark a disk as a spare for a disk group This option sets up a disk to be used as a spare device for its disk group. A spare disk can be used to automatically replace a disk that has failed. No space can be used on a disk that is marked as a spare. Turn off the spare flag for a disk This option removes a disk from those that can be used as a spare and returns its space to the general pool of available space. Recover plexes and volumes after replacement This operation performs plex attachment, RAID-5 subdisk recovery, and resynchronize operations for the named volumes, or for volumes residing on the named disks (media name). If no media name or volume operands are specified, the operation applies to all volumes (or to all volumes in the specified disk group). ERRORS
See the voldiskadd(8) reference page for a description of errors related to the initialization operation. FILES
A list of disks to exclude from use by voldiskadm. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8), volintro(8), voldg(8), voldisk(8), voldiskadd(8), voldisksetup(8), volrootmir(8) voldiskadm(8)