Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Testing NIS slave server
Operating Systems Solaris Testing NIS slave server Post 302747465 by batas on Friday 21st of December 2012 11:07:08 AM
Old 12-21-2012
Hi fpmurphy,

im not sure if this is in the doc that i followed "NIS slave listed in the ypservers map for the domain"

but running ypcat -k ypservers i only see the primary nis server...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SUSE 9 and 10 NIS clients with RedHat 8.0 NIS server not working

We have a RedHat 8.0 NIS master, with a RedHat 8.0 NIS Slave. We also have a small number of SUSE 9.1 and SUSE 10 machines here for evaluation. However, no matter what i do, the SUSE machines will not talk to the NIS Servers. If i broadcast for NIS Servers for the specified NIS domain, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS master / slave problems

Our NIS master server went down. We have since fixed it and brought it back up. However all of are machines still point to the slave server when looking at it with ypwhich. My question is how do i point the servers back to the master. Frank (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automount on NIS slave

I am setting up the NIS slave server to automount the home directory just like its master server on suse linux (SLES 10). Since the master will be the first to mount the /home on the client. I have not been able to mount the /home on the on the slave when the master NIS server is unavailable. How... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibroxy
0 Replies

5. SuSE

Automount on NIS slave

I am setting up the NIS slave server to automount the home directory just like its master server on suse linux (SLES 10). Since the master will be the first to mount the /home on the client. I have not been able to mount the /home on the on the slave when the master NIS server is unavailable.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ibroxy
1 Replies

6. AIX

Slave NIS server configuration change

Hello Everybody, I have a question regarding SLAVE NIS SERVER in aix. We are using NIS master of Sun Solaris 9.0 which is on different subnet i.e. 10.197.93.0. And Our slave server is having AIX 5.3 installed which is on 10.207.13.0 subnet. I have a query regarding its name and ip address... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jit15975
0 Replies

7. Solaris

How to bind from a NIS slave server

Hi All, I have a client already binded with a NIS master server. Now, I want to bind this particular client to one of NIS slave. How to do it? Thanks, Deepak (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Help] Setup slave dns server

Hi all. I need to configure a secondary dns server to get the zones that are in the primary server. How can I do this? It's possible to make to sync automatically? What configuration I ahve to do? And in which files? Thanks in advance. If anyone could give me examples or a tutorial, that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kouh
4 Replies

9. Solaris

NIS slave unable to copy the data bases

Hi, I'm learning for my Solaris 10 sys-admin part 2. I'm now trying to get nis working because for the exercise. I run in to a problem. Setup: Three Systems solaris101 (client) Nothing wrong here havent made any config changes yet. solaris102 (master server) Interfaces ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jld
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS setup: Mastr on AIX and slave on Solaris?

Hello - This could be a stupid question. But can we configure NIS with different flavors of UNIX. Like Master on AIX and slave on Solaris? ---------- Post updated 09-06-11 at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous update was 09-05-11 at 06:34 AM ---------- Hi - Can anyone please answer this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manju--
1 Replies
YPBIND(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 YPBIND(8)

NAME
ypbind -- create and maintain a binding to a NIS server SYNOPSIS
ypbind [-broadcast] [-insecure] [-ypset] [-ypsetme] DESCRIPTION
ypbind finds the server for a particular NIS domain and stores information about it in a ``binding file''. This binding information includes the IP address of the server associated with that particular domain and which port the server is using. This information is stored in the directory /var/yp/binding in a file named with the convention <domain>.version, where <domain> is the relevant domain. The NIS system only supplies information on version 2. If ypbind is started without the -broadcast option, ypbind steps through the list of NIS servers specified in /var/yp/binding/<domain>.ypservers and contacts each in turn attempting to bind to that server. It is strongly recommended that these hosts are in the local hosts file, and that hosts are looked up in local files before the NIS hosts map. If ypbind is started with the -broadcast option, or if /var/yp/binding/<domain>.ypservers does not exist, ypbind broadcasts to find a process willing to serve maps for the client's domain. Once a binding is established, ypbind maintains this binding by periodically communicating with the server to which it is bound. If the binding is somehow lost, e.g by server reboot, ypbind marks the domain as unbound and attempts to re-establish the binding. When the binding is once again successful, ypbind marks the domain as bound and resumes its periodic check. The options are as follows: -broadcast sends a broadcast requesting a NIS server to which to bind. -insecure do not require that the server is running on a reserved port. This may be necessary when connecting to SunOS 3.x or ULTRIX NIS servers. -ypset ypset(8) may be used to change the server to which a domain is bound. -ypsetme ypset(8) may be used only from this machine to change the server to which a domain is bound. The -broadcast -ypset, and -ypsetme, options are inherently insecure and should be avoided. FILES
/var/yp/binding/<domain>.version - binding file for <domain>. /var/yp/binding/<domain>.ypservers - explicit list of servers to bind to for <domain>. DIAGNOSTICS
Messages are sent to syslogd(8) using the LOG_DAEMON facility. SEE ALSO
domainname(1), ypcat(1), ypmatch(1), ypwhich(1), nis(8), yppoll(8), ypset(8) AUTHORS
This version of ypbind was originally implemented by Theo de Raadt. The ypservers support was implemented by Luke Mewburn. BSD
February 26, 2005 BSD