Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Testing NIS slave server
Operating Systems Solaris Testing NIS slave server Post 302746603 by batas on Wednesday 19th of December 2012 04:57:32 PM
Old 12-19-2012
Testing NIS slave server

Hi guys,

In my Sol-10 i setup NIS server following the oracle doc and setup a Linux as NIS client all went ok.

I added another Sol-10 and configure it as a NIS slave server following the oracle doc again. and added the server on the yp.conf on my NIS client

How do i test if my NIS slave server is working?

I tried shutting down the NIS master server but in NIS client ypwhich still shows the maps on my NIS master.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SUSE 9 and 10 NIS clients with RedHat 8.0 NIS server not working

We have a RedHat 8.0 NIS master, with a RedHat 8.0 NIS Slave. We also have a small number of SUSE 9.1 and SUSE 10 machines here for evaluation. However, no matter what i do, the SUSE machines will not talk to the NIS Servers. If i broadcast for NIS Servers for the specified NIS domain, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS master / slave problems

Our NIS master server went down. We have since fixed it and brought it back up. However all of are machines still point to the slave server when looking at it with ypwhich. My question is how do i point the servers back to the master. Frank (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automount on NIS slave

I am setting up the NIS slave server to automount the home directory just like its master server on suse linux (SLES 10). Since the master will be the first to mount the /home on the client. I have not been able to mount the /home on the on the slave when the master NIS server is unavailable. How... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibroxy
0 Replies

5. SuSE

Automount on NIS slave

I am setting up the NIS slave server to automount the home directory just like its master server on suse linux (SLES 10). Since the master will be the first to mount the /home on the client. I have not been able to mount the /home on the on the slave when the master NIS server is unavailable.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ibroxy
1 Replies

6. AIX

Slave NIS server configuration change

Hello Everybody, I have a question regarding SLAVE NIS SERVER in aix. We are using NIS master of Sun Solaris 9.0 which is on different subnet i.e. 10.197.93.0. And Our slave server is having AIX 5.3 installed which is on 10.207.13.0 subnet. I have a query regarding its name and ip address... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jit15975
0 Replies

7. Solaris

How to bind from a NIS slave server

Hi All, I have a client already binded with a NIS master server. Now, I want to bind this particular client to one of NIS slave. How to do it? Thanks, Deepak (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Help] Setup slave dns server

Hi all. I need to configure a secondary dns server to get the zones that are in the primary server. How can I do this? It's possible to make to sync automatically? What configuration I ahve to do? And in which files? Thanks in advance. If anyone could give me examples or a tutorial, that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kouh
4 Replies

9. Solaris

NIS slave unable to copy the data bases

Hi, I'm learning for my Solaris 10 sys-admin part 2. I'm now trying to get nis working because for the exercise. I run in to a problem. Setup: Three Systems solaris101 (client) Nothing wrong here havent made any config changes yet. solaris102 (master server) Interfaces ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jld
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS setup: Mastr on AIX and slave on Solaris?

Hello - This could be a stupid question. But can we configure NIS with different flavors of UNIX. Like Master on AIX and slave on Solaris? ---------- Post updated 09-06-11 at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous update was 09-05-11 at 06:34 AM ---------- Hi - Can anyone please answer this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manju--
1 Replies
ypwhich(1)						      General Commands Manual							ypwhich(1)

NAME
ypwhich - return name of NIS server or map master SYNOPSYS
ypwhich [ -d domain ] [ -Vn ] [ hostname ] ypwhich [ -d domain ] [ -t ] -m [ mname ] ypwhich -x DESCRIPTION
ypwhich returns the name of the NIS server that supplies the NIS services to a NIS client, or which is the master for a map. If invoked without arguments, it gives the NIS server for the local machine. If hostname is specified, that machine is queried to find out which NIS master it is using. OPTIONS
-d domain Specify a domain other than the default domain. -t This option inhibits map nickname translation. -m mname Find the master NIS server for a map. No hostname can be specified with the -m option. mname can be a mapname or nickname for a map. If mname is omitted, ypwhich will produce a list of available maps. -x Display the map nickname translation table. -Vn Version of ypbind(8), V2 is default. FILES
/var/yp/nicknames map nickname translation table. SEE ALSO
domainname(8), nicknames(5), ypbind(8), ypcat(1), ypmatch(1), yppoll(8), ypserv(8), yset(8) AUTHOR
ypwhich is part of the yp-tools package, which was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de>. YP Tools 2.9 May 1998 ypwhich(1)