Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File creation time
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat File creation time Post 302746265 by itkamaraj on Wednesday 19th of December 2012 04:11:36 AM
Old 12-19-2012
you can retrieve the creation time in ext4 file system. Other filesystem doesnt have this information.

Code:

debugfs -R 'stat <INODE_NUMBER_OF_FILE>' /ext4/filesystem

you can retrieve the inode number by using ls -i filename
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to itkamaraj For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file creation time

i have to delete some files that were created on a particular date. is there any way to do that without affecting the files that were modified on the same date? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sskb
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file creation date & time

Hi All, I have some files which are creates every day using a script. I want to create a log files which does write "filename,creation day and time" how can I do this ?? Alice (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisevA3
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix File creation time

IS there any command to find the file creation time in Unix. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinivt
2 Replies

4. Programming

File creation time

Hi Everybody, Is their any functions to find out the file creation time in 'C' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File creation time in seconds

Hi All, Cany any one help me in solving this.. Problem statement: I have a requirement to find the time from which there are no files created in a given directory. For this I am assuming that I need to get the file creation time in seconds, then the current time in seconds using `date +%s`.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chary
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find file creation time

Hello folks, I have a file, but it change every seconds, i use stats command to check its creation time, but it shows access,modify and change time same. Is there any other way to see the file creation date/time? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About Unix File creation time

Hello, I registered and recreated this thread because everywhere we can see "It's not possible to get the file creation time in UNIX fs". This is not true any more with Ext4! Unfortunately, there is not user-level tools that allow you to read those information. You have to use a low level tool... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaellafond
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File creation time in UNIX

Hi All, Can any one help how to long list today's files in unix.i.e files which are have been created today should be able to "ls -ltr" .I should be able to apply the "ls -ltr" command on today's files(should not include all the files which were there in the directory). Thanks in advance!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balasankar
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time take between first and last file creation

Hi , In a folder I have multiple files. I want total time taken to write those files. Can you please suggest what will be the best way to go for it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sftp file creation time

Hi Team, Could you please let me know ,how to find the file creation date time in SFTP server. i tred like , ls -ltr command only availble and not available like ls --full-time test.txt please help? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk123
7 Replies
UUID_TIME(3)							    Libuuid API 						      UUID_TIME(3)

NAME
uuid_time - extract the time at which the UUID was created SYNOPSIS
#include <uuid.h> time_t uuid_time(uuid_t uu, struct timeval *ret_tv) DESCRIPTION
The uuid_time function extracts the time at which the supplied time-based UUID uu was created. Note that the UUID creation time is only encoded within certain types of UUIDs. This function can only reasonably expect to extract the creation time for UUIDs created with the uuid_generate_time(3) and uuid_generate_time_safe(3) functions. It may or may not work with UUIDs created by other mechanisms. RETURN VALUES
The time at which the UUID was created, in seconds since January 1, 1970 GMT (the epoch), is returned (see time(2)). The time at which the UUID was created, in seconds and microseconds since the epoch, is also stored in the location pointed to by ret_tv (see gettimeofday(2)). AUTHOR
Theodore Y. Ts'o AVAILABILITY
libuuid is part of the util-linux package since version 2.15.1 and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. SEE ALSO
uuid(3), uuid_clear(3), uuid_compare(3), uuid_copy(3), uuid_generate(3), uuid_is_null(3), uuid_parse(3), uuid_unparse(3) util-linux May 2009 UUID_TIME(3)