Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check if the text file has more than 2 characters Post 302745847 by AraR87 on Tuesday 18th of December 2012 07:56:51 AM
Old 12-18-2012
Thank you! Great...
It worked fine.. But this displaying the whole content..
Is there any way to display particular 13th field?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific characters from a text file

I'm extremely new to scripting and linux in general, so please bear with me. The class I'm taking gives virtually no instruction at all, and so I'm trying to learn everything off the web. Anyway, I'm trying to extract characters that follow after a specific pattern ( '<B><FONT FACE="Arial">' ) but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livos23
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read text from a file between two characters..

I have a requirement where i have to read from a .sh file a text lying bet characters like 'SELECT' & ';'...Please help me out in this. I am new to shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goutam_igate
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove special characters from text file

Hi All, i am trying to remove all special charecters().,/\~!@#%^$*&^_- and others from a tab delimited file. I am using the following code. while read LINE do echo $LINE | tr -d '=;:`"<>,./?!@#$%^&(){}'|tr -d "-"|tr -d "'" | tr -d "_" done < trial.txt > output.txt Problem ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkb
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if the file has EBCDIC or ascii characters

Hi, is there a way to check if the initial few characters are ebcdic or ascii in a file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with deleting characters from text file

I have a text file that looks like this: I want to delete the last character of first column in all rows so that my output looks like this: Thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell to replace characters in a text file

Can I just say, this is such a frustrating and yet enormously rewarding field of study. I'm in the middle of configuring GeekTool (Uh oh, stupid n00b) and I really only have one question. I'm using Automator to grab a RSS feed, having GeekTool continually run that application every 10 minutes,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SomeTechGuy
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any way to get rid of ^M characters in a text file using pr?

When I use vi to see what's in the file I get this: int add1(int x) {^M return x + 1;^M} ^Mint subtract1(int x) {^M return x - 1;^M} ^Mint double_it(int x) {^M return x * 2;^M} ^Mint halve_it(int x) {^Mreturn x / 2;^M} ^Mint main() {^M int myint;^M int result;^M ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nonito84
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ESC[70G[ and ^M characters in text file

Hi, I have a text file which when I do a 'cat' on it looks like below with the OK’s showing in green and any FAIL showing in red. cat filename output: ===== MySQL Query Check ===== DB mpuser is alive. 733 = Expected 733 Tables. OK ] DB mpuser_wf is alive. 61 =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bunti
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

^H characters appear when opening text file using vi - RHEL

Version Info: $ cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.8 (Tikanga) $ $ uname -a Linux stryker138 2.6.18-308.13.1.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jul 26 05:45:09 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I redirected manpage of ksh command's output to a text file as shown... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all junk characters from a text file

I am using flatfile, in that flat file we are getting the junk chars 1)I21001f<82>^Me<85>!h49 Service Charge 2) I21001f‚ e...!h49 Service Charge please tell me how to remove all junk chars in unix scripts. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Talari
1 Replies
Text::Tabs(3pm) 					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					   Text::Tabs(3pm)

NAME
Text::Tabs - expand and unexpand tabs like unix expand(1) and unexpand(1) SYNOPSIS
use Text::Tabs; $tabstop = 4; # default = 8 @lines_without_tabs = expand(@lines_with_tabs); @lines_with_tabs = unexpand(@lines_without_tabs); DESCRIPTION
Text::Tabs does most of what the unix utilities expand(1) and unexpand(1) do. Given a line with tabs in it, "expand" replaces those tabs with the appropriate number of spaces. Given a line with or without tabs in it, "unexpand" adds tabs when it can save bytes by doing so, like the "unexpand -a" command. Unlike the old unix utilities, this module correctly accounts for any Unicode combining characters (such as diacriticals) that may occur in each line for both expansion and unexpansion. These are overstrike characters that do not increment the logical position. Make sure you have the appropriate Unicode settings enabled. EXPORTS
The following are exported: expand unexpand $tabstop The $tabstop variable controls how many column positions apart each tabstop is. The default is 8. Please note that "local($tabstop)" doesn't do the right thing and if you want to use "local" to override $tabstop, you need to use "local($Text::Tabs::tabstop)". EXAMPLE
#!perl # unexpand -a use Text::Tabs; while (<>) { print unexpand $_; } Instead of the shell's "expand" comand, use: perl -MText::Tabs -n -e 'print expand $_' Instead of the shell's "unexpand -a" command, use: perl -MText::Tabs -n -e 'print unexpand $_' SUBVERSION
This module comes in two flavors: one for modern perls (5.10 and above) and one for ancient obsolete perls. The version for modern perls has support for Unicode. The version for old perls does not. You can tell which version you have installed by looking at $Text::Tabs::SUBVERSION: it is "old" for obsolete perls and "modern" for current perls. This man page is for the version for modern perls and so that's probably what you've got. BUGS
Text::Tabs handles only tabs (" ") and combining characters ("/pM/"). It doesn't count backwards for backspaces (" "), omit other non- printing control characters ("/pC/"), or otherwise deal with any other zero-, half-, and full-width characters. LICENSE
Copyright (C) 1996-2002,2005,2006 David Muir Sharnoff. Copyright (C) 2005 Aristotle Pagaltzis Copyright (C) 2012 Google, Inc. This module may be modified, used, copied, and redistributed at your own risk. Publicly redistributed modified versions must use a different name. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Text::Tabs(3pm)