Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check if the text file has more than 2 characters Post 302745843 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 18th of December 2012 07:49:22 AM
Old 12-18-2012
Code:
awk -F'|'  'length($13)>2' inputfile > outputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific characters from a text file

I'm extremely new to scripting and linux in general, so please bear with me. The class I'm taking gives virtually no instruction at all, and so I'm trying to learn everything off the web. Anyway, I'm trying to extract characters that follow after a specific pattern ( '<B><FONT FACE="Arial">' ) but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livos23
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read text from a file between two characters..

I have a requirement where i have to read from a .sh file a text lying bet characters like 'SELECT' & ';'...Please help me out in this. I am new to shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goutam_igate
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove special characters from text file

Hi All, i am trying to remove all special charecters().,/\~!@#%^$*&^_- and others from a tab delimited file. I am using the following code. while read LINE do echo $LINE | tr -d '=;:`"<>,./?!@#$%^&(){}'|tr -d "-"|tr -d "'" | tr -d "_" done < trial.txt > output.txt Problem ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkb
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if the file has EBCDIC or ascii characters

Hi, is there a way to check if the initial few characters are ebcdic or ascii in a file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with deleting characters from text file

I have a text file that looks like this: I want to delete the last character of first column in all rows so that my output looks like this: Thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell to replace characters in a text file

Can I just say, this is such a frustrating and yet enormously rewarding field of study. I'm in the middle of configuring GeekTool (Uh oh, stupid n00b) and I really only have one question. I'm using Automator to grab a RSS feed, having GeekTool continually run that application every 10 minutes,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SomeTechGuy
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any way to get rid of ^M characters in a text file using pr?

When I use vi to see what's in the file I get this: int add1(int x) {^M return x + 1;^M} ^Mint subtract1(int x) {^M return x - 1;^M} ^Mint double_it(int x) {^M return x * 2;^M} ^Mint halve_it(int x) {^Mreturn x / 2;^M} ^Mint main() {^M int myint;^M int result;^M ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nonito84
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ESC[70G[ and ^M characters in text file

Hi, I have a text file which when I do a 'cat' on it looks like below with the OK’s showing in green and any FAIL showing in red. cat filename output: ===== MySQL Query Check ===== DB mpuser is alive. 733 = Expected 733 Tables. OK ] DB mpuser_wf is alive. 61 =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bunti
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

^H characters appear when opening text file using vi - RHEL

Version Info: $ cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.8 (Tikanga) $ $ uname -a Linux stryker138 2.6.18-308.13.1.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jul 26 05:45:09 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I redirected manpage of ksh command's output to a text file as shown... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all junk characters from a text file

I am using flatfile, in that flat file we are getting the junk chars 1)I21001f<82>^Me<85>!h49 Service Charge 2) I21001f‚ e...!h49 Service Charge please tell me how to remove all junk chars in unix scripts. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Talari
1 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)