Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ? Post 302745797 by filosophizer on Tuesday 18th of December 2012 05:22:51 AM
Old 12-18-2012
[Solved] Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ?

hello folks,

I have a 300GB ROOTVG volume groups with one filesystem /backup having 200GB allocated space

Now, I cannot alt disk clone or mirrorvg this hdisk with another smaller disk. The disk size has to be 300GB; I tried alt disk clone and mirrorvg , it doesn't work. you cannot copy LVs as operating system has some lv which cannot be copied other than mirrorvg..

is there a way to make another smaller hdisk = 10GB have a copy of only the AIX operating system from the already existing hdisk which is 300GB ?

thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Upgrade Hard Disk to a larger one

Hello folks, I have a sun sparcstation 20, I would like to upgrade one of the hard disks to a larger one. The one I would like to upgrade only contains user data. Here are my thoughts: 1. Backup the specific file system 2. Replace the disk with the larger disk 3. Create a new file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DLongan
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How do I clone Solaris 7 disk

could anyone give me a general idea of how i may clone a 2 Gig disk running Solaris 7 on it to another disk of the same size? currently, this system only has one disk in it though. i do have the ability to hook up another disk via SCSI. i have been told i need to boot to "miniroot" to run... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: obosha
9 Replies

3. Solaris

Upgrading To Larger Disk?

I have just been assigned the task of upgrading to a larger disk on a e250; however, I am use to working on Linux and x86 hardware. I would be very appreciative if someone could inform me on how this procedure can be done safely. To begin with, the e250 has a 18 Gig primary scsi disk and a 18... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
3 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

clone disk

Disk cloning I had an external SCSI master disk that I used to clone to an identical external SCSI disk because the other SCSI disk would become corrupted. My original Master became corrupted so I used one of the other to good disk to copy back to the master. Unfortunately the new master needs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stamperr
1 Replies

5. Solaris

disk 2 disk mirror

Dear friends & gurus i have some servers running solaris 10 intel machines,they are in mirror disk 2 disk there is no any hardware RAID only software RAID and they are in remote place. 1) solaris 10 OS c0t0d0(Disk1) & cotod1(Disk2) in mirror (SVM) 2) i want to break the mirror 3) boot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: niru
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

What is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ?

what is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Faster dd for disk clone

Guys can anyone tell how can we do faster disk cloning Below i found in google 1. dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 conv=noerror,sync So adding "conv=noerror,sync " makes it faster looks against not adding it 2. Enable write cache activated (hdparm -W1 /dev/sda) then run dd .. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Use 'dd' to copy boot disk to larger target disk

Hi, I'm looking to copy a boot disk on an old Solaris 8 system using dd. I'll bring the system down to single user mode and begin from there. I'm copying my source disk to a larger target disk. Do I need to do anything other than the 'dd' command below because the target disk is bigger? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
2 Replies

9. AIX

Clone 1 Hard disk fromIBM Intellipoint server with AIX 5.x

Hello to all, Im having a new task in a new world (AIX - IBM Servers) I have an IBM Server (Type - 9111-285 very old one) with one Hard disk (73 GB 10 K) with AIX 5.x, and I need to clone the existing disk to another with the same specifications. Could you please give me some advice in order... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trevian3969
7 Replies
UKOPP(1)							  Ukopp man page							  UKOPP(1)

NAME
Ukopp - copy files to USB stick or other disk or disk-like device SYNOPSIS
ukopp [ -nogui ] [ -job | -run ] jobfile DESCRIPTION
Ukopp is a graphical menu-driven program operating in its own window. Ukopp copies the files and directories specified in the job file to disk or disk-like media (e.g. USB stick). OVERVIEW
Ukopp works incrementally: only files that are not already identical on the target media are copied (new and modified files or files newly added to the backup job). Files/directories to include or exclude can be selected from the file system hierarchy, using a GUI navigator. Specifications are saved in a job file which can be re-edited and/or executed. Ukopp can be run in batch mode using the -nogui option. Ukopp can optionally keep old file versions instead of replacing them with updated versions. The retention time and/or the number of old versions to keep can be specified for each selected file or directory. File owners and permissions are retained even if the copy media has a Microsoft file system. Summary of functionality: - Copy files incrementally with optional file version retention. - Three media verification modes: full, incremental, compare. - Report disk:backup differences in detail or summary form. - Select and restore files from backup media or use drag and drop. OPTIONS
Command line options: [ -job ] jobfile open job file for editing [ -nogui ] -run jobfile execute a job file SEE ALSO
The online user manual is available using the menu Help > contents. This manual explains Ukopp operation in great detail. AUTHORS
Written by Michael Cornelison <kornelix2@googlemail.com> Linux 2010-10-01 UKOPP(1)