Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to pass current year and month in FOR LOOP in UNIX shell scripting? Post 302745621 by Yoda on Monday 17th of December 2012 04:33:23 PM
Old 12-17-2012
If your date command supports -d option, then try:-
Code:
#!/bin/bash

DT="20121201"

for count in {1..5}
do
        echo $DT | cut -c 1-6
        DT=$( date -d"$DT +1 month" +"%Y%m%d" )
done

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to get the last month and year in UNIX

how to get the last month and year in UNIx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijay06
2 Replies

2. AIX

Convert unix timestamp to year month day format ?

Hello, How do I convert unix timestamp value to 'normal' date format - to get year month and day values ? Looks like it's easy to do using GNU date (linux systems). But how do I do tthis on AIX ? I don't want to write C program, any ways to do that using unix shells ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh

Hi folks month=`date +%m`gives current month Howto print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
7 Replies

4. Programming

Interval year to month

Hi, I'm working on a Informix4gl module. I'm just trying to find out any built-in function to fetch only the year/month from an INTERVAL YEAR TO MONTH data value. Please let me know, if there are any functions to do this. If not, let me know for any alternative solutions to attain this. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to get last year and month from the file

Hi I have files like abc_cd_20110302_123423 abc_cd_ef_20110301_123423 abc_cd_ef_20110403_123423 abc_ef_20110401_123423 I want to extract the the year and month associated with each file. I tried logfileyearmonth=`echo $logfile | awk -F_'{print $NF}'` Any other way can I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix man command to find out month of the year?

how can i display month of the year i was born with using man command? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janetroop95
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Unable to pass a space inside a variable shell scripting

Can anyone help me in solving this ? p=`date` e=`echo $p | awk '{print $2,$3}'` # echo $p Wed Aug 4 12:00:08 IST 2013 but when I am echoing the value of e it is giving me with one space. As shown below: # echo $e Aug 4 I need this value to be exact as found in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kits
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If else condition inside for loop of awk command in UNIX shell scripting

Hi , Please excuse me for opening a new thread i am unable to find out the syntax error in my if else condition inside for loop in awk command , my actual aim is to print formatted html td tag when if condition (True) having string as "failed", could anyone please advise what is the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the for loop output from a remote server in UNIX shell scripting?

Hi, I am using ksh , when i try to use for loop i am getting the expected output. $for variable in $(ps -fu user | grep -i something/ | grep -i something | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}');do > grep $variable /tmp/some_path/*/* > done when tried the below to remote server, getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
4 Replies
DATE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DATE(1)

NAME
date - print or set the date and time SYNOPSIS
date [-qsu] [[MMDDYY]hhmm[ss]] [+format] OPTIONS
-q Read the date from stdin -s Set the time (implicit for -q or a date string) -u Print the date as GMT -t Use this number of seconds instead of current time EXAMPLES
date # Print the date and time date 0221921610 # Set date to Feb 21, 1992 at 4:10 p.m. DESCRIPTION
With the -q flag or a numeric argument, date sets the GMT time and date. MMDDYY refers to the month, day, and year; hhmmss refers to the hour, minute and second. Each of the six fields must be exactly two digits, no more and no less. date always display the date and time, with the default format for the system. The -u flag request GMT time instead of local time. A format may be specified with a + followed by a printf-like string with the following options: %% % character %A Name of the day %B Name of the month %D mm/dd/yy %H Decimal hour on 2 digits %I Decimal hour modulo 12 on 2 digits %M Decimal minute on 2 digits %S Decimal seconds on 2 digits %T HH:MM:SS %U Decimal week number, Sunday being first day of week %W Decimal week number, Monday being first day of week %X Same as %T %Y Decimal year on 4 digits %Z Time Zone (if any) %a Abbreviated name of the day %b Abbreviated name of the month %c Appropriate date & time (default format) %d Decimal day of the month on 2 digits %e Same as %d, but a space replaces leading 0 %h Same as %b %j Decimal dey of the year on 3 digits %m Decimal month on 2 digits %n Newline character %p AM or PM %r 12-hour clock time with AM/PM %s Number of seconds since the epoch %t Tab character %w Decimal day of the week (0=Sunday) %x Same as %D %y Decimal year on 2 digits SEE ALSO
time(2), ctime(3), readclock(8). DATE(1)