Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can someone explain what these arguments mean? Post 302745611 by Marc G on Monday 17th of December 2012 04:09:41 PM
Old 12-17-2012
Thank you all for giving me the answer here! I had not tried this on an AIX box. Only a virtual linux box and a Solaris server I have access too.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

please explain this

zsh 4.3.4% cat file ACFCFACCACARCSHFARCVJVASTVAJFTVAJVGHBAJ zsh 4.3.4% cat file1 A C F R zsh 4.3.4% <file1 while read;do printf "%s=%d\n" "$REPLY" "${#$(<file)//}";done A=9 C=7 F=4 R=2 That was the previous post. But , can anybody can explain me in detail about this line zsh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dummy_needhelp
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please can any one explain this ${0##/}

I did not understand what is ${0##/} PGM=${0##/} TMP=/tmp/${PGM}.$$ Please explain me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gadege
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

please explain the below

could u please convert the below statement to shell script ---------- logdir=/smp/dyn/logfiles/cpm/pgm/pgIm $logdir = $logdir ."/pgIm${toDate}*"; ---- could u please explain the below clearly grep -i adding $logdir | grep -iv equation | awk '{print \$NF}' | sort -u | sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

4. AIX

can anyone explain this?

this is the mksys b script.... can anyone explain .. what # and 1 in if condition this is the first line of the script... it is not from middle of the script.... if then echo "Not enough parameters, need a client name for mksysb" Usage="Usage: $0 <client name>" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honeym210
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please explain this

if then echo "Syntax: $0 <sid> <COLD/HOT> <DEST>" exit fi if --------------what does this mean??? echo "Syntax: $0 <sid> <COLD/HOT> <DEST>"---pls explain this as well (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: appsdba.nitin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

can any one explain this example

hi all i have an example i want one help me to understand cause i tried to test it but almost fail and i don't know how can i solve this problem " the main idea to read from two files and replace something from one to another " but i don't understand why it fail all time $ cat main.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with two arguments to arguments to surch for

Hello, is it possible to give grep two documents to surche for? like grep "test" /home/one.txt AND /home/two.txt ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cybertron
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

anyone can explain this?

why the case 2 will happen ? , ' should stop the history substitution ,shouldn't it? case 1 # echo "123"|sed '/123/!d' 123 case 2 # echo "123 > 456 > 1 > "|sed '/123/!d' -bash: !d': event not found case 3 # echo "123 > 456 > 12 > "|sed '/123/'\!d 123 # bash --version (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justlooks
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone explain this for me?

Can someone do me a favour and explain the following for me: ((r=$RANDOM%$n+1)) I know what $RANDOM does but what is % sign and what does it do with %$n+1? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashily
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How I can explain this?

Hi friends! I'm learning UNIX and I have a small question. Working with Shell, i put the name of one executable (in c language) + one number and it says this: $ gcc misterioso_4.c $ ./misterioso_4 6 got: , I can not find an answer in the manual because I havent applied any variable.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakota
5 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)