Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can someone explain what these arguments mean? Post 302745607 by in2nix4life on Monday 17th of December 2012 04:00:39 PM
Old 12-17-2012
The ping command on AIX uses those two parameters.

From the man page:

Code:
PacketSize
Specifies the number of data bytes to be sent. The default is 56, which translates into 64 ICMP data bytes when combined with the 8 bytes of ICMP header data. This parameter is included for compatibility with previous versions of the ping command.

Count
Specifies the number of echo requests to be sent (and received). This parameter is included for compatibility with previous versions of the ping command.

Example: ping server 5 2
PING server (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx): 5 data bytes
13 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64
13 bytes from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64

--- server ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0% packet loss

This User Gave Thanks to in2nix4life For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

please explain this

zsh 4.3.4% cat file ACFCFACCACARCSHFARCVJVASTVAJFTVAJVGHBAJ zsh 4.3.4% cat file1 A C F R zsh 4.3.4% <file1 while read;do printf "%s=%d\n" "$REPLY" "${#$(<file)//}";done A=9 C=7 F=4 R=2 That was the previous post. But , can anybody can explain me in detail about this line zsh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dummy_needhelp
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please can any one explain this ${0##/}

I did not understand what is ${0##/} PGM=${0##/} TMP=/tmp/${PGM}.$$ Please explain me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gadege
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

please explain the below

could u please convert the below statement to shell script ---------- logdir=/smp/dyn/logfiles/cpm/pgm/pgIm $logdir = $logdir ."/pgIm${toDate}*"; ---- could u please explain the below clearly grep -i adding $logdir | grep -iv equation | awk '{print \$NF}' | sort -u | sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

4. AIX

can anyone explain this?

this is the mksys b script.... can anyone explain .. what # and 1 in if condition this is the first line of the script... it is not from middle of the script.... if then echo "Not enough parameters, need a client name for mksysb" Usage="Usage: $0 <client name>" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honeym210
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please explain this

if then echo "Syntax: $0 <sid> <COLD/HOT> <DEST>" exit fi if --------------what does this mean??? echo "Syntax: $0 <sid> <COLD/HOT> <DEST>"---pls explain this as well (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: appsdba.nitin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

can any one explain this example

hi all i have an example i want one help me to understand cause i tried to test it but almost fail and i don't know how can i solve this problem " the main idea to read from two files and replace something from one to another " but i don't understand why it fail all time $ cat main.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with two arguments to arguments to surch for

Hello, is it possible to give grep two documents to surche for? like grep "test" /home/one.txt AND /home/two.txt ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cybertron
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

anyone can explain this?

why the case 2 will happen ? , ' should stop the history substitution ,shouldn't it? case 1 # echo "123"|sed '/123/!d' 123 case 2 # echo "123 > 456 > 1 > "|sed '/123/!d' -bash: !d': event not found case 3 # echo "123 > 456 > 12 > "|sed '/123/'\!d 123 # bash --version (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justlooks
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone explain this for me?

Can someone do me a favour and explain the following for me: ((r=$RANDOM%$n+1)) I know what $RANDOM does but what is % sign and what does it do with %$n+1? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashily
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How I can explain this?

Hi friends! I'm learning UNIX and I have a small question. Working with Shell, i put the name of one executable (in c language) + one number and it says this: $ gcc misterioso_4.c $ ./misterioso_4 6 got: , I can not find an answer in the manual because I havent applied any variable.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakota
5 Replies
LURKER-SEARCH(1)					      General Commands Manual						  LURKER-SEARCH(1)

NAME
lurker-search -- searches for messages in a lurker database SYNOPSIS
lurker-search [-c <config-file>] [-k <keyword>] [-d -f -i -v -q] [<terms>*] DESCRIPTION
lurker-search searches a lurker database the same way as the web interface. It can output summary information and delete messages. OPTIONS
-c config-file Use this config file for lurker settings. -k keyword Tag the matching messages with this keyword. -d Delete the messages found by this search -f Don't prompt before deleting -i Command line paramers are not search terms, but message IDs. -v Output message summary information -q Don't output message ids or status SEARCH TERMS
Lurker-search accepts these keywords for searching: -xxx select messages which do NOT match this term id:xxx select a message by the Message-ID field rt:xxx select messages which reply to the chosen Message-ID th:xxx select messages included in this thread ml:xxx select messages in this mailing list gr:xxx select messages in this mailing list group au:xxx select messages with this term in the author fields sb:xxx select messages with this word in the subject lang:xxx select messages in this language SEE ALSO
lurker-index(1), lurker-prune(1), lurker-params(1), lurker-list(1) lurker documentation on http://lurker.sourceforge.net/ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002: Wesley W. Terpstra <terpstra@users.sourceforge.net> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. BUGS
Before reporting a bug, please confirm that the bug you found is still present in the latest official release. If the problem persists, then send mail with instructions describing how to reproduce the bug to <lurker-users@lists.sourceforge.net>. LURKER-SEARCH(1)