Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change the content of files but not change the date Post 302745545 by ust3 on Monday 17th of December 2012 01:28:24 PM
Old 12-17-2012
Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can I do ?

thanks.

Last edited by Scott; 12-17-2012 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: Double post AFTER receiving a reply in the other thread. Tsch.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mass Change content in all files

Hi, Are there any sample scripts to change content like file paths, profile paths etc., from test version to production , instead of changing one by one, i would like to pass the in file (prod version/Test version) to convert to test or prod verions. any help is appreciated!! ~R (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terala
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change the content thru sed.....

Hi Everybody, Another headache form myside, i have a file name noname.txt having content as CS007=NEW and i have to write a scipt which will take the parameters as update,delete... with the 1st field of noname.txt (i.e. here CS007) whose objective is to change the 2nd field of noname.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

change field content awk

I have a line like this: I want to move HTTP/1.1 200 OK to the next line and put a blank line between the two lines i.e. How can i get it using awk? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a file's content by row?

Greetings. So the question is basically the same as it's in the title. I'd like to write a program that changes a file by rows. So to clarify it. (i know i shouldn't use code,/code here but i would like to separate it) So for example a text file looks like something like this: Happy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: buddhist
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

To change the colour of the content in email sent through unix

Hi I want to change the color of the email content sent through unix. I tried a lot and left in vain. I heard that it could be done by sending the email as HTML. But I don't how to do it. Can you all share your ideas? ~sakthifire (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change file content based on data

I have a Transaction File coming into the system. In this file, in all records the relevant data is as follows- Position 1:10 -> Transaction Code Position 252:255 -> 4 digit business code Now based on these 2 fields I have to alter value in Transaction code (Position 1:10)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: varunrbs
6 Replies

7. Linux

when SCP, does file content change?

Good day to you all, Just want to check here, i know when scping a file, size might change due to space issue. it might sound silly, but does file content get change too? if so, what kind of situation that might be? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahtat99
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change date format in am/pm in csv files using UNIX

Hi All, I'm new to forum good to hear all. I stuck in converting date format in csv file using unix csv file contains as below ,750,0000000000000000GCJR, ,06/22/2016 14:48:44 I want to convert into as below ,750,0000000000000000GCJR, ,06/22/2016 02:48:44 PM Please reply asap..... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raghureds
22 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to change the file content using some conditions

Hello, I would like to change the content of the file that has few blocks starts with 10 and ends with ";" File1.txt 10 bonuses D 20 MATCHED 30 UPD COL 40 (SOL=30) 20 NOT MATCHED 30 INS COL 40 (SOL=30) ; 10 bonuses D 20 MATCHED 30 UPD COL 40... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
5 Replies
backup(1M)																backup(1M)

NAME
backup - backup or archive file system SYNOPSIS
[-archive] DESCRIPTION
The command uses find(1) and cpio(1) to save a archive of all files that have been modified since the modification time of on the default tape drive should be invoked periodically to ensure adequate file backup. The option suppresses warning messages regarding optional access control list entries. backup(1M) does not backup optional access control list entries in a file's access control list (see acl(5)). Normally, a warning message is printed for each file having optional access control list entries. The option causes backup to save all files, regardless of their modification date, and then update using touch(1). prompts you to mount a new tape and continue if there is no more room on the current tape. Note that this prompting does not occur if you are running from cron(1M). The option causes to start a file system consistency check (without correction) after the backup is complete. For correct results, it is important that the system be effectively single-user while is running, especially if is allowed to automatically fix whatever inconsisten- cies it finds. does not ensure that the system is single-user. You can edit to customize it for your system. Several local values are used that can be customized: specifies which directories to back up recursively (usually meaning all directories); file name where start and finish times, block counts, and error messages are logged; file name whose date is the date of the last archive; file name that is checked by to remind the next person who logs in to change the backup tape; file name where start and finish times and output is logged. You may want to make other changes, such as whether or not does automatic correction (according to its arguments), where output is directed, other information logging, etc. In all cases, the output from is a normal archive file (or volume) which can be read using with the option. File Recovery creates archive tapes with all files and directories specified relative to the root directory. When recovering files from an archive tape created by you should be in the root directory and specify the directory path names for recovered files relative to the root directory When specifying the directory path name for file recovery by do not precede the leading directory name with a slash. If you prefer, you can also use with a option to determine how files and directories are named on the archive tape before attempting recovery. WARNINGS
Refer to in cpio(1). When runs out of tape, it sends an error to standard error and demands a new special file name from To continue, rewind the tape, mount the new tape, type the name of the new special file at the system console, and press If is being run unattended from cron(1M) and the tape runs out, terminates, leaving the process still waiting. Kill this process when you return. FILES
parameterized file names SEE ALSO
cpio(1), find(1), touch(1), cron(1M), fbackup(1M), frecover(1M), fsck(1M), acl(5). backup(1M)