Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Vi - insert a tab between words? Post 302742825 by onlinelearner02 on Tuesday 11th of December 2012 03:50:24 PM
Old 12-11-2012
Vi - insert a tab between words?

I have several lines in a file that I want to replace a space with a tab.

For example:

111047 [tab] Julie Jones email@email.com

111047 [tab] Julie Jones [tab] email@email.com

I want to replace the space after the word "jones" with a tab.

How do I achieve that in Vi?

Please assist.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert TAB in echo statement

Hi, Can some1 help me to output a tab in an echo statement. I have tried echo "RNC: \t NODEB" but dont get the correct output. I am a beginnger to unix, so pls hold back the laughs....if u can (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunils27
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pls help me to insert tab and formatthe file

i want to format the file with tab delimitaed and assign heading to each column . my format of file is 7 aiss 10 8 linux 25 9 linux_10for 35 Ouput i want like this Ver Host Fails 7 aiss 10 8 linux 25 9 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: getdpg
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert tab at specified column.HELP

I have input like: 1234567890 cut -c1-3,6-7,9-10 input > output Now I got 1236790. I want to insert space between each cut. So the output like: 123 67 90 Can anybody help? Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sslr
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: how to insert tab?

Hi, I'm using the following to insert lines into file: sed ${rowNr}i'\ first row\ second row\ third row\ ' file.txt How can I add tab in front of each added line? "\t" or actual TAB does not seem to work? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert a field into a tab delimited file

Hello, Can someone help me to do this with awk or sed? I have a file with multiple lines, each line has many fields separated with a tab. I would like to add one more field holding 'na' in between the first and second fields. old file looks like, 1, field1 field2 field3 ... 2, field1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssshen
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert Field into a tab-delimited file

Hello, I have about 100 files in a directory with fields which are tab delimited. I would like to append the file name as the first field and it has to be done as many times as the total lines in the file. For example, myFile1.txt has the following data: 1 x y z 2 a b ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert LF and TAB for formatting

trying to insert a LF and 2 TABs for this: sed 's/<td><\/td>/<td>\n\t\t<\/td>/' infile. but, I'm not getting the syntax for inserting the LF and TABs correct (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert whitespace (tab) at start of each line

Hi all, I have this: begin data; dimensions nind=168 nloci=6; info BDT001.4 ( 1 , 1 ) ( 1 , 12 ) BDT003.4 ( 1 , 1 ) ( 12 , 12 ) BDT007.4 ( 1 , 1 ) ( 12 , 12 ) BDT009.4 ( 1 , 32 ) ( 12 , 22 ) etc, etc And need this: begin data; dimensions nind=168 nloci=6; info ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDeBiasse
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while assign string (words with tab) to a variable

Hi, I have a String(words with tab space) in a file ->file1.txt 0xxxx 11 test $aa$ 8.43 when i read the file and assign to variable value=$(cat file1.txt) echo $value i get the output without tab spaces. 0xxxx 11 test $aa$ 8.43 How to assign string... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete and insert columns in a tab delimited file

Hi all , I have a file having 12 columns tab delimited . I need to read this file and remove the column 3 and column 4 and insert a word in column 3 as "AVIALABLE " Is there a way to do this . I am trying like below Thanks DJ cat $FILENAME|awk -F"\t" '{ print $1 "\t... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
3 Replies
XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)										 XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)

NAME
XmTabListInsertTabs -- A convenience function that inserts tabs into a tab list SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> XmTabList XmTabListInsertTabs( XmTabList oldlist, XmTab *tabs, Cardinal tab_count, int position); DESCRIPTION
XmTabListInsertTabs creates a new tab list that includes the tabs in oldlist. This function copies specified tabs to the tab list at the given position. The first tab_count tabs of the tabs array are added to the tab list. If oldlist is NULL, XmTabListInsertTabs creates a new tab list containing only the tabs specified. oldlist Specifies the tab list to add the tabs to. The function deallocates oldlist after extracting the required information. tabs Specifies a pointer to the tabs to be added to the tab list. It is the caller's responsibility to free the tabs in tabs by using XmTabFree. tab_count Specifies the number of tabs in tabs. position Specifies the position of the first new tab in the tab list. A value of 0 (zero) makes the first new tab the first tab in the tab list, a value of 1 makes it the second tab, and so on. If position is greater than the number of tabs in oldlist, then the tabs will be inserted at the end. If position is negative, the count will be backwards from the end. A value of -1 makes the first new tab the last tab, and so on. RETURN
If tabs is NULL or tab_count is 0 (zero), this function returns oldlist. Otherwise, it returns a new tab list. The function allocates space to hold the returned tab list. The application is responsible for managing the allocated space. The application can recover the allocated space by calling XmTabListFree. RELATED
XmTabList(3) and XmTabListFree(3). XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)