Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issue on smbclient
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issue on smbclient Post 302742699 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 11th of December 2012 12:56:12 PM
Old 12-11-2012
samba does not have a way to window-ize or unix-ize files by changing carriage returns.

So, you have characters on the Windows side that you do not want, they came over from unix to start with. The same is true with samba going from windows to unix.

I would run the
Code:
unix2dos

command on the file on the unix side to clean it up for windows beforehand

If you are sending a tar file to windows you cannot run unix2dos on it. You have to rely on 7zip or some other windows utility to convert it for you, after it has been extracted.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Incomplete reading and transferring zip file via SAMBA smbclient

Hello, Anyone out there can help on this problem? I have a zip file about 34MB containing a file in EBCDIC and is resided on a Windows 2000 server. This zip file is retrieved and read from a UNIX server via SAMBA "SMBCLIENT" (by default the file is transferred via command bin) and issued... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddie Law
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Connect smbclient to an windows server 2003 with active directory

Hello everybody .. i want connect with smbclient to an windows server 2003 with active directory. Exist a version of samba that can do this? Thank you very much for your time. Good Luck :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enkei17
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

smbclient print while preserving windows printer settings?

I have successfully gotten AIX to print to a windows shared printer with this command: smbclient -U user%password -W domain -c "print file.ext" the only problem is: I have this print queue set up on the Windows side to overlay an image to all pages. When printing from samba, the overlay... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Smbclient on Unix

The directory on windows server is renamed and I need to change the directory location on smbclient on unix. How do i do that, please advice. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: welldone
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using the smbclient

Hi, I am trying to use smbclient to send message to a windows machine.It is showing "connection failed message" . After googled I came to know about "smbfind" which will give me the nodes in my network. In that list the machine name was not present where I was trying to send the message. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forstudy3
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

smbclient & dd

you know I am told to get an image of the whole ubuntu system on my server shared folder. If you have used dd before to get an image of the occupied space on the system please lemme know bout your command. (I preferably want dd to only get an image of the occupied file system not the free space)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_mabuse
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

smbclient - check if 'cd' is sucessful?

Hi, I've a question regarding a smbclient-Command in my shell script. Here my relevant script part: fileattr=`/opt/samba/bin/smbclient --authentication-file=$AUTH_FILE //$SMB_HOST/$SMB_SHARE 2> /dev/null prompt off cd $SMB_DIR put $LOC_FILE $SMB_FILE dir /$SMB_DIR/$SMB_FILE ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: FreddyDaKing
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script - If and smbclient (ftp)...help

Hi, So I am writting a script to copy files from Linux to windows using smbclient, I have done this a fair amount of times now. Unfortunately this time I am using a simply if statement to determine if the file exists before beginning the smbclient section.....however if I tab the smbclient... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using command line variables in smbclient

Hi All, Have written a couple of lines to move the contents of a folder from a unix box to a windows location using smbclient (below) smbclient '{servicename}' -A ~/.smbclientauth -c 'mkdir \test_folder"' smbclient '{servicename}' -A ~/.smbclientauth -c 'cd "; lcd ";... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary2410
4 Replies

10. Linux

Error on smbclient login on Red Hat

I have the smbclient installed and I am able to see information from the '-L' option. But when I attempt to login I'm getting the "NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME". I was hoping for help, because I'm not sure what is supposed to go into the smb.conf file. My goal is to transfer files from my Linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islanderman
2 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)