Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sed: Adding new line after matching pattern Post 302742103 by MIA651 on Monday 10th of December 2012 02:13:22 PM
Old 12-10-2012
Thanks elixir_sinari but this is after Wf, I want a line appended after the line Wf occurs if you know what I mean.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - adding a new line after pattern

Hi, In files, I have a field Date Of Birth (DOB). After that line I need to add Date of Joining (DOJ) DOB:19-Apr-1981 needs to become DOB:19-Apr-1981 DOJ:20-Jun-2005 What can be a sed/perl line that can do it for me. Please note that DOB/DOJ I have in variables I am doing in a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eagercyber
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment/delete a particular pattern starting from second line of the matching pattern

Hi, I have file 1.txt with following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433 ** ** ** In file 2.txt I have the following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imas
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed find matching pattern delete next line

trying to use sed in finding a matching pattern in a file then deleting the next line only .. pattern --> <ad-content> I tried this but it results are not what I wish sed '/<ad-content>/{N;d;}' akv.xml > akv5.xml ex, <Celebrant2First>Mickey</Celebrant2First> <ad-content> Minnie... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aveitas
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in sed command (adding a blank line btw each block generated by pattern)

Hello friends, I have a C source code containing sql statements. I use the following sed command to print all the sql blocks in the source code.... sed -n "/exec sql/,/;/p" Sample.cpp The above sed command will print the sql blocks based on the pattern "exec sql" & ";"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - matching pattern one but not pattern two

All, I have the following file: -------------------------------------- # # /etc/pam.d/common-password - password-related modules common to all services # # This file is included from other service-specific PAM config files, # and should contain a list of modules that define the services... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertBerrie
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Question: Search and Replace start of line to matching pattern

Hi guys, got a problem here with sed on the command line. If i have a string as below: online xx:wer:xcv: sdf:/asdf/http:https-asdfd How can i match the pattern "http:" and replace the start of the string to the pattern with null? I tried the following but it doesn't work: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to modify a line above or below matching pattern?

I couldn't figure out how to use sed or any other shell to do the following. Can anyone help? Thanks. If seeing a string (e.g., TODAY) in the line, replace a string in the line above (e.g, replace "Raining" with "Sunny") and replace a string in the line below (e.g., replace "Reading" with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprinner
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed - combination of line deletion and pattern matching

I want to delete all the blank lines from a file before a certain line number. e.g. Input file (n: denotes line number) 1: a 2: 3: b 4: c 5: 6: d I want to delete all blank lines before line number 3, such that my output is: a b c d I see that sed '/^$/d' in_file works... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: printing lines AFTER pattern matching EXCLUDING the line containing the pattern

'Hi I'm using the following code to extract the lines(and redirect them to a txt file) after the pattern match. But the output is inclusive of the line with pattern match. Which option is to be used to exclude the line containing the pattern? sed -n '/Conn.*User/,$p' > consumers.txt (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: essem
11 Replies
TAIL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail -- display the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [-f | -F | -r] [-b number | -c number | -n number] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The tail utility displays the contents of file or, by default, its standard input, to the standard output. The display begins at a byte, line or 512-byte block location in the input. Numbers having a leading plus (``+'') sign are relative to the beginning of the input, for example, ``-c +2'' starts the display at the second byte of the input. Numbers having a leading minus (``-'') sign or no explicit sign are relative to the end of the input, for example, ``-n 2'' displays the last two lines of the input. The default starting location is ``-n 10'', or the last 10 lines of the input. The options are as follows: -b number The location is number 512-byte blocks. -c number The location is number bytes. -f The -f option causes tail to not stop when end of file is reached, but rather to wait for additional data to be appended to the input. The -f option is ignored if the standard input is a pipe, but not if it is a FIFO. -F The -F option is the same as the -f option, except that every five seconds tail will check to see if the file named on the command line has been shortened or moved (it is considered moved if the inode or device number changes) and, if so, it will close the current file, open the filename given, print out the entire contents, and continue to wait for more data to be appended. This option is used to follow log files though rotation by newsyslog(8) or similar programs. -n number The location is number lines. -r The -r option causes the input to be displayed in reverse order, by line. Additionally, this option changes the meaning of the -b, -c and -n options. When the -r option is specified, these options specify the number of bytes, lines or 512-byte blocks to display, instead of the bytes, lines or blocks from the beginning or end of the input from which to begin the display. The default for the -r option is to display all of the input. If more than a single file is specified, each file is preceded by a header consisting of the string ``==> XXX <=='' where ``XXX'' is the name of the file. The tail utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cat(1), head(1), sed(1) STANDARDS
The tail utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. In particular, the -b, -r and -F options are extensions to that standard. The historic command line syntax of tail is supported by this implementation. The only difference between this implementation and historic versions of tail, once the command line syntax translation has been done, is that the -b, -c and -n options modify the -r option, i.e. ``-r -c 4'' displays the last 4 characters of the last line of the input, while the historic tail (using the historic syntax ``-4cr'') would ignore the -c option and display the last 4 lines of the input. HISTORY
A tail command appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
When using the -F option, tail will not detect a file truncation if, between the truncation and the next check of the file size, data written to the file make it larger than the last known file size. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD