Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Answers to Frequently Asked Questions Tips and Tutorials How to do a "Control Break" (Algorithm) Post 302741635 by fpmurphy on Sunday 9th of December 2012 04:17:02 PM
Old 12-09-2012
I have to say that I have never heard this particular issue called the Control Break Algorithm before but a quick Internet search showed that the term is becoming somewhat common among educators. In SQL, this would be handled by the GROUP BY statement, in XSLT it is called grouping and is typically handled by the Muenchian Method.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

preventing "break" in a script

Not sure if I am using the correct terminology: I have a user setup in a menu. I want to let the user browse a file using the pg. I want to prevent the person from doing <ctrl>c and being able to exit the script to the command line. How do I do this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break line after last "/" if length > X characters

Hello. I am a french newbie in unix shell scripting (sorry if my english speaking is wrong). I have a file with path and filenames in it. I want to limit the number of characters on each line and break the line if necessary. But the "break" should occur after a slash caracter "/". Example of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SportBilly
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

"last" in perl vs "break" elsewhere

Is there a functional difference between the two statements? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find a string across line break (because of "segmentation fault core dumped")

Hi, thanks to a precedent post, and thanks to the reply of derekludwig of the forum, I have convert my first awk command as : test.txt is : AAAAAGHIJKLAjKMEFJKLjklABCDJkLEFGHIJKL awk -f findstring.awk test.txt > textreturn.txtfindstring.awk is : BEGIN{ SLENGTH = 3 } { ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thewizarde6
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Control-break"ish" in awk

Hi, input: 1|Bob 2|Bob Ref|Bob 3|Rick 7|Rick Ref|Rick I am trying to append a "*" field to the record containing "Ref" in $1, only if the previous $1 with a common $2 have a value <4. ouput: 1|Bob 2|Bob Ref|Bob|* 3|Rick 7|Rick Ref|Rick (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
DB2_NUM_ROWS(3) 							 1							   DB2_NUM_ROWS(3)

db2_num_rows - Returns the number of rows affected by an SQL statement

SYNOPSIS
int db2_num_rows (resource $stmt) DESCRIPTION
Returns the number of rows deleted, inserted, or updated by an SQL statement. To determine the number of rows that will be returned by a SELECT statement, issue SELECT COUNT(*) with the same predicates as your intended SELECT statement and retrieve the value. If your application logic checks the number of rows returned by a SELECT statement and branches if the number of rows is 0, consider modi- fying your application to attempt to return the first row with one of db2_fetch_assoc(3), db2_fetch_both(3), db2_fetch_array(3), or db2_fetch_row(3), and branch if the fetch function returns FALSE. Note If you issue a SELECT statement using a scrollable cursor, db2_num_rows(3) returns the number of rows returned by the SELECT state- ment. However, the overhead associated with scrollable cursors significantly degrades the performance of your application, so if this is the only reason you are considering using scrollable cursors, you should use a forward-only cursor and either call SELECT COUNT(*) or rely on the boolean return value of the fetch functions to achieve the equivalent functionality with much better perfor- mance. PARAMETERS
o $stmt - A valid stmt resource containing a result set. RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of rows affected by the last SQL statement issued by the specified statement handle. PHP Documentation Group DB2_NUM_ROWS(3)