Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RHEL 6 plain telnet & ftp servers Post 302740759 by admin_xor on Thursday 6th of December 2012 05:58:14 PM
Old 12-06-2012
Quote:
I've personally never understood the use, some distros have it, some don't
True, xinetd is not that much used now a days. But it sure does a good job of make the system resources available for other use. For an example, a PXE server serving TFTP requests. Now, do you really install OSes 24x7? So there's really no use of TFTP server daemon running all the time consuming memory and doing close to nothing. But, if it's controlled by xinetd, the service only started when you get a request. A server which serves occasional ftp requests, can actually use xinetd.

Well, RHEL 6 has vsftpd as the FTP server and telnet-server package for the telnet server. To install these pacakges, you would have to make use of the installation DVD as yum repository. Let me help you with that:

1. Create a file /etc/yum.repos.d/local.repo with the following contents:
Code:
[LocalRepo]
name=DVD Repo
baseurl=file:///mnt/dvd
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

2. Create a dir /mnt/dvd and mount the DVD there
Code:
mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd

3. Use yum command to install the packages
Code:
yum install vsftpd telnet-server xinetd -y

/etc/inittab is almost empty because Sys V init has been abandoned to embrace upstart which can start multiple services simultaneously reducing the overall boot time. /etc/inittab is there just to define the default runlevel.

Hope this gets you started! Smilie
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to admin_xor For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

diable telnet & ftp

Hi All, I need to stop all the services for telnet & FTP as we want our server to be more secure. Please give me some steps for jumping to SSH protocol. How can i disable telnet & ftp service on my server. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeep_desh
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

telnet & ftp in linux AS4 with root account

hi, i installed linux as4, i need telnet and ftp with root account. anybody show me how to configure. TIA, Bong (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bong02
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

RHEL 4, simltaneous maximum ftp/telnet sessions allowed

Hi Users, Kindly help me with below query of mine. Using Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition as the client how many simultaneous 1) Maximum FTP sessions are allowed 2) Maximum Telnet sessions are allowed 3) any special settings need to be enabled for maximum telnet and ftp sessions on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie07
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RHEL 4, simltaneous maximum ftp/telnet sessions allowed

Hi Users, Kindly help me with below query of mine. Using Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition as the client how many simultaneous 1) Maximum FTP sessions are allowed 2) Maximum Telnet sessions are allowed 3) any special settings need to be enabled for maximum telnet and ftp sessions on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie07
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated FTP script using .netrc to multiple FTP servers

Hi all, I'm using the following script to automated ftp files to 1 ftp servers host=192.168.0.1 /usr/bin/ftp -vi >> $bkplog 2>&1 <<ftp open $host bin cd ${directory} put $files quit ftp and the .netrc file contain machine 192.168.0.1 login abc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varu0612
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

cfengine / puppet for rhel servers

Hello all, I am planning to deploy a configuration / auditing software package for about 100 new nodes that we are planning to install. I am hearing many good things in regards to cfengine and puppet. Can someone shed some light in regards to these solutions? Thanks, jaysunn (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

cannot ssh (use NFS) on RHEL box, but can mount external & ssh out of RHEL box

Ok, Im trying to get NFS working on my RHEL 5 box, apparently i can use the box as a client, but not as a server. If it helps i cant ssh into the box (server), but as a client ssh works fine. Ive configured server: /etc/hosts.allow: all : all all :all@all setup my /etc/exports file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drs.grid
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

RHEL 7.1 autofs permissions do not match NFS servers

RHEL 7.1 client using autofs to mount a NIS map of home directories being exported by a Solaris 10x86 nfs server. The owner and group are correct on the NFS server, but on the RHEL client, the owner and group end up being nobody nobody. The USERS and GROUPS are NIS maps as well. They are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash - here document on RHEL 6.8 and 6.9 servers aren't working

H Forum, I was thankful in getting help from this post that allowed me to connect to multiple severs at once using here documents to gather data into variables. But I've discovered that the same bash command that works on my RHEL 7 servers do not work on RHEL 6? What's strange about my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
4 Replies
debuginfo-install(1)													      debuginfo-install(1)

NAME
debuginfo-install - install debuginfo packages and their dependencies SYNOPSIS
debuginfo-install package DESCRIPTION
debuginfo-install is a program which installs the RPMs needed to debug the specified package. The package argument can be a wildcard, but will only match installed packages. debuginfo-install will then enable any debuginfo repositories, and install the relevant debuginfo rpm. EXAMPLES
Download and install all the RPMs needed to debug the kernel RPM: debuginfo-install kernel WARNING MESSAGES
Could not find debuginfo for: You may sometimes see warning messages about certain packages not being found if you run debuginfo-install for a wildcard or glob. Debuginfo packages are not necessary for "noarch" RPMs; these will generate a warning message. Additionally, On 64-bit systems, no multilib debuginfo packages are published, so if you have 32-bit packages installed, these will also generate warning messages. FILES
As debuginfo-install uses YUM libraries for retrieving all the information, it relies on YUM configuration for its default values like which repositories to use. Consult YUM documentation for details: /etc/yum.conf /etc/yum/repos.d/ /var/cache/yum/ SEE ALSO
yum.conf (5) http://yum-utils.baseurl.org/ http://yum.baseurl.org/ AUTHORS
See the Authors file included with this program. BUGS
There are of course no bugs, but should you find any, you should first consult the FAQ section on http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/Faq and if unsuccessful in finding a resolution contact the mailing list: yum-devel@lists.baseurl.org. To file a bug use http://bugzilla.redhat.com for Fedora/RHEL/Centos related bugs and http://yum.baseurl.org/report for all other bugs. James Antill 21 October 2008 debuginfo-install(1)