Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RHEL 6 plain telnet & ftp servers Post 302740759 by admin_xor on Thursday 6th of December 2012 05:58:14 PM
Old 12-06-2012
Quote:
I've personally never understood the use, some distros have it, some don't
True, xinetd is not that much used now a days. But it sure does a good job of make the system resources available for other use. For an example, a PXE server serving TFTP requests. Now, do you really install OSes 24x7? So there's really no use of TFTP server daemon running all the time consuming memory and doing close to nothing. But, if it's controlled by xinetd, the service only started when you get a request. A server which serves occasional ftp requests, can actually use xinetd.

Well, RHEL 6 has vsftpd as the FTP server and telnet-server package for the telnet server. To install these pacakges, you would have to make use of the installation DVD as yum repository. Let me help you with that:

1. Create a file /etc/yum.repos.d/local.repo with the following contents:
Code:
[LocalRepo]
name=DVD Repo
baseurl=file:///mnt/dvd
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

2. Create a dir /mnt/dvd and mount the DVD there
Code:
mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd

3. Use yum command to install the packages
Code:
yum install vsftpd telnet-server xinetd -y

/etc/inittab is almost empty because Sys V init has been abandoned to embrace upstart which can start multiple services simultaneously reducing the overall boot time. /etc/inittab is there just to define the default runlevel.

Hope this gets you started! Smilie
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to admin_xor For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

diable telnet & ftp

Hi All, I need to stop all the services for telnet & FTP as we want our server to be more secure. Please give me some steps for jumping to SSH protocol. How can i disable telnet & ftp service on my server. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeep_desh
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

telnet & ftp in linux AS4 with root account

hi, i installed linux as4, i need telnet and ftp with root account. anybody show me how to configure. TIA, Bong (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bong02
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

RHEL 4, simltaneous maximum ftp/telnet sessions allowed

Hi Users, Kindly help me with below query of mine. Using Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition as the client how many simultaneous 1) Maximum FTP sessions are allowed 2) Maximum Telnet sessions are allowed 3) any special settings need to be enabled for maximum telnet and ftp sessions on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie07
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RHEL 4, simltaneous maximum ftp/telnet sessions allowed

Hi Users, Kindly help me with below query of mine. Using Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition as the client how many simultaneous 1) Maximum FTP sessions are allowed 2) Maximum Telnet sessions are allowed 3) any special settings need to be enabled for maximum telnet and ftp sessions on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie07
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated FTP script using .netrc to multiple FTP servers

Hi all, I'm using the following script to automated ftp files to 1 ftp servers host=192.168.0.1 /usr/bin/ftp -vi >> $bkplog 2>&1 <<ftp open $host bin cd ${directory} put $files quit ftp and the .netrc file contain machine 192.168.0.1 login abc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varu0612
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

cfengine / puppet for rhel servers

Hello all, I am planning to deploy a configuration / auditing software package for about 100 new nodes that we are planning to install. I am hearing many good things in regards to cfengine and puppet. Can someone shed some light in regards to these solutions? Thanks, jaysunn (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

cannot ssh (use NFS) on RHEL box, but can mount external & ssh out of RHEL box

Ok, Im trying to get NFS working on my RHEL 5 box, apparently i can use the box as a client, but not as a server. If it helps i cant ssh into the box (server), but as a client ssh works fine. Ive configured server: /etc/hosts.allow: all : all all :all@all setup my /etc/exports file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drs.grid
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

RHEL 7.1 autofs permissions do not match NFS servers

RHEL 7.1 client using autofs to mount a NIS map of home directories being exported by a Solaris 10x86 nfs server. The owner and group are correct on the NFS server, but on the RHEL client, the owner and group end up being nobody nobody. The USERS and GROUPS are NIS maps as well. They are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash - here document on RHEL 6.8 and 6.9 servers aren't working

H Forum, I was thankful in getting help from this post that allowed me to connect to multiple severs at once using here documents to gather data into variables. But I've discovered that the same bash command that works on my RHEL 7 servers do not work on RHEL 6? What's strange about my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
4 Replies
yum-utils(1)															      yum-utils(1)

NAME
yum-utils - tools for manipulating repositories and extended package management SYNOPSIS
debuginfo-install - install debuginfo packages and their dependencies find-repos-of-install - report which repository the package was installed from needs-restarting - report process ids that started running before they or some component they use were updated package-cleanup - manage package cleanup, duplicates, orphaned packages and outstanding dependency problems repo-graph - outputs a full package dependency list in dot format repo-rss - generates an RSS feed from one or more repositories repoclosure - reads metadata of repositories, checks dependencies and displays list of unresolved dependencies repodiff - takes two or more repositories, returns a list of added, removed or changed packages repomanage - manages a directory of rpm packages, returns a list of newest or oldest packages in a directory repoquery - query yum repositories and get additional information on the them reposync - synchronize a remote yum repository to a local directory using yum to retrieve packages repotrack - track packages and its dependencies and downloads them show-changed-rco - list of changes to a package Requires, Conflicts and Obsoletes data from installed to a specified rpm file show-installed - gives a compact description of packages installed and makes use of comps groups in repositories verifytree - verify that a local yum repository is consistent yum-builddep - installs missing dependencies to build a specified package yum-complete-transaction - finds incomplete or aborted yum transactions and attempts to complete them yum-config-manager - toggle yum repositories, add new repositories and set main yum configuration options yum-debug-dump - creates gzipped file containing information for debugging problems yum-debug-restore - replays any transactions captured in gzipped file in yum shell yum-groups-manager - create and edit yum's group metadata yum-installed - print a compact package list making use of comps groups yumdb - query or alter the yum database yumdownloader - downloads packages from yum repositories including source RPMs DESCRIPTION
yum-utils is a collection of tools and programs for managing yum repositories, installing debug packages, source packages, extended infor- mation from repositories and administration. NOTES
See respective tools for additional help for commands without a manual page SEE ALSO
debuginfo-install(1), package-cleanup(1), repodiff(1), repoquery(1), reposync(1), repo-rss(1), show-changed-rco(1), show-installed(1), yum- downloader(1), yum-builddep(1), yum-debug-dump(1), yum-groups-manager(1), yumdb(8), yum-complete-transaction(8) AUTHOR
Shawn Starr <shawn.starr@rogers.com> yum-utils August 2011 yum-utils(1)