Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Running commands on remote machines Post 302740683 by joeyg on Thursday 6th of December 2012 03:00:03 PM
Old 12-06-2012
You may want to reconsider

Since you did not specify what you are trying to monitor, I wanted to think of this differently...
There are 600 computers you want to analyze. So, if it take 60 seconds to connect, execute remote commands, transmit results file back, do something (on master computer), and then go to next remote computer.
That would mean ten hours, start to finish, if done sequentially. I suppose you could write something to do some in parallel?

Which brings me back to my initial premise...that this may not be possible based on the number of remote computers to analyze.

In human terms...
(a) you call 600 people to find out if they are coming for dinner
(b) receive emails of those who cannot attend

Probably easier to process the (b) list. Likewise, easier to process error files from remote computers.
This User Gave Thanks to joeyg For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running a script on multiple machines

To clear the web cache on my web server, I run this command: find $APACHE_HOME/cache/plsql/plsql -type d -name "*" -exec rm -R {} \; To clear the cache on all the web servers(we have 4), I log on to any one machine, clear its cache, ssh to another machine, clear cache etc; Is there any way... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nattynatty
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How do I check file dates on remote machines

Hi .. I want to check the date for one file which is present on the remote machine. How do i do that?? Also if i'm only having the sudo rights .. can i do that with my login or do i need all the access rights?? Please let me know asap. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: decci_7
3 Replies

3. Solaris

scp - copy between two remote machines?

1. scp person1@10.10.10.1:file1 person2@10.10.10.2:file1 2. scp file1 person1@10.10.10.1:file1 For #1, I keep getting this error: Password: Host key verification failed. lost connection I have entered the correct password too! #2 works fine. I suppose I cannot copy a file between two... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

running commands to remote host from centralized host

Gurus/Experts We have a centralized UNIX/Solaris server from where we can actually ssh to all other UNIX/Solaris servers...I need to write a script that reside on this centerlized server and do FileSystem monitoring (basically run df -h or -k) of other remote servers and then send an email to me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjum.suri
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to ssh to remote unix machines using private/public key

hello, iam able to ssh to a linux server from a linux server called "machine1" using the private/public key method, so I dont need to enter any password when I run my script but iam not able to ssh from machine1 to a UNIX server, access is denied. note that I am using an application id which is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wydadi
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to find out if a process is running on any all machines

Hi All, I have been a guest visitor from a long time and this forum is wonderful. I finally am a member of this forum too, so i am here stuck with a shell script that i was trying to write My requirement is that i should be able to create a shell script which will check if a process is running on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rex0226
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running commands in remote node as root user

Platform :Oracle Linux 6.4 We are trying to automate the SAN level cloning from production RAC DB cluster to test. From a shell script, I would like to run the below command Step1,2 and 3 from Node1 in a sequential order as root user . How can I do this ? passwordless for root user is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running set of commands in remote servers in shell script

Hi Wishing to all. I am very new joined in an organization as a unix system administrator. I need a help in preparing a script for a report. i have a file contains all of the linux/ubuntu servers line by line around 140 servers. vi servers.txt nh01 nh02 nh03 bh01 bh04 - - :wq (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaraswamy
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Commands on a Remote Linux Server over SSH

Hello, I'm trying to create a ksh script to ssh to a remote server, enter the password and a couple commands. For security reasons I have changed the login, password and ip in my example. #!/bin/ksh ssh -t -t username@12.5.5.3 << EOF password cd bin pwd EOF When I run it. It... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh - running commands on remote server

Hi, I am trying to run commands on a list of servers that I can ssh to and just want to know if there is a 'cleaner' way of doing this. At the moment, I am doing as below. Is there a way that I can escape the double quote differently? If a use a single quote to enclose the commands that I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
CD-HIT-2D-PARA.PL(1)						   User Commands					      CD-HIT-2D-PARA.PL(1)

NAME
cd-hit-2d-para.pl - divide a big clustering job into pieces to run cd-hit-2d or cd-hit-est-2d jobs SYNOPSIS
cd-hit-2d-para.pl options DESCRIPTION
This script divide a big clustering job into pieces and submit jobs to remote computers over a network to make it parallel. After all the jobs finished, the script merge the clustering results as if you just run a single cd-hit-2d or cd-hit-est-2d. You can also use it to divide big jobs on a single computer if your computer does not have enough RAM (with -L option). Requirements: 1 When run this script over a network, the directory where you run the scripts and the input files must be available on all the remote hosts with identical path. 2 If you choose "ssh" to submit jobs, you have to have passwordless ssh to any remote host, see ssh manual to know how to set up passwordless ssh. 3 I suggest to use queuing system instead of ssh, I currently support PBS and SGE 4 cd-hit-2d cd-hit-est-2d cd-hit-div cd-hit-div.pl must be in same directory where this script is in. Options -i input filename for 1st db in fasta format, required -i2 input filename for 2nd db in fasta format, required -o output filename, required --P program, "cd-hit-2d" or "cd-hit-est-2d", default "cd-hit-2d" --B filename of list of hosts, requred unless -Q or -L option is supplied --L number of cpus on local computer, default 0 when you are not running it over a cluster, you can use this option to divide a big clustering jobs into small pieces, I suggest you just use "--L 1" unless you have enough RAM for each cpu --S Number of segments to split 1st db into, default 2 --S2 Number of segments to split 2nd db into, default 8 --Q number of jobs to submit to queue queuing system, default 0 by default, the program use ssh mode to submit remote jobs --T type of queuing system, "PBS", "SGE" are supported, default PBS --R restart file, used after a crash of run -h print this help More cd-hit-2d/cd-hit-est-2d options can be speicified in command line Questions, bugs, contact Weizhong Li at liwz@sdsc.edu cd-hit-2d-para.pl 4.6-2012-04-25 April 2012 CD-HIT-2D-PARA.PL(1)