Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Running commands on remote machines Post 302740675 by SkySmart on Thursday 6th of December 2012 02:51:22 PM
Old 12-06-2012
Running commands on remote machines

so i want to monitor a variety of things on hundreds of servers. the old process was to have an agent running on each one of these servers.

but now i'm looking to see if its possible to have agentless monitoring. the only other straight forward option other than having an agent on the hosts, is to use ssh. but i dont know how to go about this.

I have 2 hosts that will serve as the monitoring servers. One will be Primary, the second will be Backup. the secondary will have the same exact setup as the primary.

what do i need to do on these two hosts to be able to log into all my servers and run the commands i need to run? vmstat, uptime, mpstat etc.

The number of servers i need to monitor is 600.
The OS running on these servers is a mixture of Sun Solaris and Linux Red Hat.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running a script on multiple machines

To clear the web cache on my web server, I run this command: find $APACHE_HOME/cache/plsql/plsql -type d -name "*" -exec rm -R {} \; To clear the cache on all the web servers(we have 4), I log on to any one machine, clear its cache, ssh to another machine, clear cache etc; Is there any way... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nattynatty
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How do I check file dates on remote machines

Hi .. I want to check the date for one file which is present on the remote machine. How do i do that?? Also if i'm only having the sudo rights .. can i do that with my login or do i need all the access rights?? Please let me know asap. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: decci_7
3 Replies

3. Solaris

scp - copy between two remote machines?

1. scp person1@10.10.10.1:file1 person2@10.10.10.2:file1 2. scp file1 person1@10.10.10.1:file1 For #1, I keep getting this error: Password: Host key verification failed. lost connection I have entered the correct password too! #2 works fine. I suppose I cannot copy a file between two... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

running commands to remote host from centralized host

Gurus/Experts We have a centralized UNIX/Solaris server from where we can actually ssh to all other UNIX/Solaris servers...I need to write a script that reside on this centerlized server and do FileSystem monitoring (basically run df -h or -k) of other remote servers and then send an email to me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjum.suri
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to ssh to remote unix machines using private/public key

hello, iam able to ssh to a linux server from a linux server called "machine1" using the private/public key method, so I dont need to enter any password when I run my script but iam not able to ssh from machine1 to a UNIX server, access is denied. note that I am using an application id which is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wydadi
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to find out if a process is running on any all machines

Hi All, I have been a guest visitor from a long time and this forum is wonderful. I finally am a member of this forum too, so i am here stuck with a shell script that i was trying to write My requirement is that i should be able to create a shell script which will check if a process is running on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rex0226
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running commands in remote node as root user

Platform :Oracle Linux 6.4 We are trying to automate the SAN level cloning from production RAC DB cluster to test. From a shell script, I would like to run the below command Step1,2 and 3 from Node1 in a sequential order as root user . How can I do this ? passwordless for root user is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running set of commands in remote servers in shell script

Hi Wishing to all. I am very new joined in an organization as a unix system administrator. I need a help in preparing a script for a report. i have a file contains all of the linux/ubuntu servers line by line around 140 servers. vi servers.txt nh01 nh02 nh03 bh01 bh04 - - :wq (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaraswamy
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Commands on a Remote Linux Server over SSH

Hello, I'm trying to create a ksh script to ssh to a remote server, enter the password and a couple commands. For security reasons I have changed the login, password and ip in my example. #!/bin/ksh ssh -t -t username@12.5.5.3 << EOF password cd bin pwd EOF When I run it. It... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh - running commands on remote server

Hi, I am trying to run commands on a list of servers that I can ssh to and just want to know if there is a 'cleaner' way of doing this. At the moment, I am doing as below. Is there a way that I can escape the double quote differently? If a use a single quote to enclose the commands that I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
FS_NEWCELL(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_NEWCELL(1)

NAME
fs_newcell - Changes the kernel-resident list of a cell's database servers SYNOPSIS
fs newcell -name <cell name> -servers <primary servers>+ [-linkedcell <linked cell name>] [-help] fs n -n <cell name> -s <primary servers>+ [-l <linked cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs newcell command removes the Cache Manager's kernel-resident list of database server machines for the cell specified by the -name argument and replaces it with the database server machines named by the -servers argument. Each time the machine reboots, the Cache Manager constructs the kernel list of cells and database server machines by reading the local /etc/openafs/CellServDB file. This command does not change the CellServDB file, so any changes made with it persist only until the next reboot, unless the issuer also edits the file. The output of the fs listcells command reflects changes made with this command, because that command consults the kernel-resident list rather than the CellServDB file. This command can introduce a completely new cell into the kernel-resident list, but cannot make a cell inaccessible (it is not possible to remove a cell's entry from the kernel-resident list by providing no values for the -server argument). To make a cell inaccessible, remove its entry from the CellServDB file and reboot the machine. If the -name argument names a DCE cell, then the -servers argument names DFS Fileset Location (FL) Server machines. The -linkedcell argument specifies the name of the AFS cell to link to a DCE cell for the purpose of DFS fileset location. CAUTIONS
Some commands, such as the aklog or klog.krb5 commands, work correctly only when the information is accurate for a cell in both the CellServDB file and the kernel-resident list. OPTIONS
-name <cell name> Specifies the fully-qualified cell name of the AFS or DCE cell. -servers <primary servers>+ Specifies the fully-qualified hostnames of all AFS database server machines or DFS Fileset Location (FL) Server machines for the cell named by the -name argument. If FL Server machines are specified, the local machine must be running the AFS/DFS Migration Toolkit Protocol Translator. -linkedcell <linked cell name> Specifies the name of the AFS cell to link to a DCE cell for the purpose of DFS fileset location. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following example changes the machine's kernel-resident list of database server machines for the ABC Corporation cell to include the machines "db1.abc.com" and "db2.abc.com": % fs newcell -name abc.com -servers db1.abc.com db2.abc.com The following example links the DCE cell "dce.abc.com" to the AFS cell "abc.com". The AFS client contacts the Fileset Location (FL) servers "db1.dce.abc.com" and "db2.dce.abc.com" for fileset location information as it interprets a DFS pathname. % fs newcell -name dce.abc.com -servers db1.dce.abc.com db2.dce.abc.com -linkedcell abc.com PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be logged in as the local superuser root. SEE ALSO
CellServDB(5), fs_listcells(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_NEWCELL(1)