Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying the .profile of one user to another. Post 302740461 by Scott on Thursday 6th of December 2012 08:06:39 AM
Old 12-06-2012
That would only be necessary (possible, even) if the user doing the copying was root.

I'm guessing that the O/P is not root.
This User Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

User profile

Sorry to I am not familiar with script writing , attach is the /etc/profile in my system , we have limit each user can only have one login in the system . When the user login , if the system found the user have a dead process in the system , the system will confirm the user to kill the previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

accerssing user profile?

Hello there, I would like to know how can i prevent a normal user (not root user) from accessing his .profile and editing its information? Also, how can i prevent this user from deleting a certain file named "script"? Any help in that? Thanks in advance, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Profile

Hi Guys, Im really new with this stuff...could anybody help to guide me ...how do i change/edit user profiile ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagasan_makmur
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying .profile files to a new server (SCO)

Hello Intelligent Life Forms (I hope) This should be a snap for some of you. I need to copy the /usr .profiles from 1 sco system to another. Migrating to a new server. I've tried a recursive copy to the target system with a NFS mount point from the source. Wouldn't do it permissions... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sighbrrguy
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

refresh user profile

Scenario: a non-root user is under primary group "devel" and I change their primary group to "nondevel"; I then want to be able to give the user a command which refreshes their user profile so that any new files created under their session are assigned to the new group. What is the command for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhinge
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I find a user profile

Hi, I want to know how can i find a user when he has logged in and how many times and days (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darwinscp@hotma
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

how can i find a user profile

Hi I want to know how can i find a user when he has logged in, at what time and how many days, anyone can help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darwinscp@hotma
1 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

trap in etc/profile and user .profile

Hello I really wonder what's trap in etc/profile and in each user .profile. I try to google for it but I think I have no luck. Mostly hit is SNMP traps which I think it is not the same thing. I want to know ... 1. What's a "trap 2 3" means and are there any other value I can set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

User profile, environment

Hello , i am on sles 11, and i can't figure out how can i locate my profile file, the one that is use for setting the environment when i log in. oracle@r200:~> cd oracle@r200:~> pwd /opt/oracle oracle@r200:~> echo $SHELL /bin/bash oracle@r200:~> oracle@r200:~> cat .profile cat: .profile:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
4 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)