Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk: How to get an awk variable out to the shell, using system() ? Post 302740417 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 6th of December 2012 06:34:33 AM
Old 12-06-2012
You need to place the variable outside the double quotes, for example try:
Code:
system( "sort " ERR_FILE_TMP " >> " ERR_FILE )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

can I pass awk variable to system command?

I wanna use a system function to deal with several data. So I use awk variable FILENAME to transfer the file directory to system command, but it does not work. I use a shell function "out_function" to deal with data and save the result in another directory with the same file name. How can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhynxn
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell variable in awk

Hi All, How can i use the file for printing in awk file1 ---------- update table crn_ras_disc_dtl a set a.a5=$1,a.a1=$2,a.a2=$3,a.a3=$4,a.a4=$5; file2 -------- 10|KUMAR|23|MALE|US 20|RAJ|24|MALE|AU Output --------- update table crn_ras_disc_dtl a set... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell variable with awk

line_no=6 echo 'Phone,' `awk 'NR==$line_no{print;exit}' <filename>` what is the error in this.. it says.. awk: Field $() is not correct. The input line number is 1. The file is <filename>. The source line number is 1. i want to print the data in the $line_no line of a certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: St.Fartatric
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell function, system, awk

Hi all, I am calling a shell function within awk using system. I am struggling to get my expected output: #!/bin/sh set -o nounset BEG=44 END=55 shfun() { echo "1|2|3" } export -f shfun typeset -F > /dev/null awk 'BEGIN {OFS="|"; print "'"$BEG"'",system( "shfun"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkl_jkl
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell variable in awk

I have 3 files and each contain m*n matrix. m = number of rows (horizontal lines) n = number of columns (entries in a particular line) What I wish to find is the sum of the 2nd number in the last row. Ex file1.dat 2 5 8 8 4 6 7 8 3 8 3 7 file2.dat 3 4 1 4 8 4 0 3 4 7 3 7 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dynamics
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk for setting variable but change the output of this variable within awk

Hi all, Hope someone can help me out here. I have this BASH script (see below) My problem lies with the variable path. The output of the command find will give me several fields. The 9th field is the path. I want to captured that and the I want to filter this to a specific level. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cowardly
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use shell variable in awk?

How do you use a shell variable in awk? I am using Solaris 10 and don't have GNU products installed. File (transportation.txt) contents: car boat airplane snowmobile bicycle sled This awk statment works (prints from the car line down to bicycle awk '/car/,/bicycle/'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk question : system output to awk variable.

Hi Experts, I am trying to get system output to capture inside awk , but not working: Please advise if this is possible : I am trying something like this but not working, the output is coming wrong: echo "" | awk '{d=system ("date") ; print "Current date is:" , d }' Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)